Do you like horror games?

I like to try to play them...

I'm more into psychological horrors, jump scares piss me off because they're such a cheap scare... and they fucking work half the time too. I get incredibly immersed in games.

But with most horror games, they're usually too... atmospheric. In your face scary. The look, the sound, the STORY. They don't hide anything, they make sure you know, that you're anticipating a fright. So that when it finally happens you're primed. Ready. And they can pull as much of it out of you as possible so you believe the climax was better than it actually was.

Psychological horrors rely on the climax, not the build up, to get the player. The build up is important, yes, to get the backstory in, twist the players mind. But it's not in your face, it's sneaky. The game leads you to believe it's one thing, when it's really another.

Sometimes mixing the two can work, for example, The Park (available on Steam). It was in your face creepy from the start, but had an awesome twist at the end. No spoilers, I wouldn't do that, but it made the whole trip worth it.
But atmospheric horrors normally psyche me out LONG before i get even half way through.

I'm probably just a sook, but I prefer the horrors that mess with my mind, and not my adrenaline.

How do you feel about them?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I like the last of us but I don't know if that counts as a horror game.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. They scare me way more than horror movies ever could.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• Love em! Bunch of them are among my all time favorite games. I usually go to games for real spooks, cause horror movies aren't really cutting it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've really only played a couple of horrors: System shock 1&2 which are both ancient games (1994,1999), which were both psychological and jump-at-you, but the graphical quality does offset that somewhat. Enjoyed them, not sure I would enjoy more recent stuff as the graphics is much more realistic, and I was already jumpy enough on those games. Have a copy of dead space 2, but haven't got around to playing it yet.

0|1
    0|0
  • That's my favorite genre. My favorite is System Shock 2, Alan Wake, Dead Space 1-3, Resident Evil 3, 4 and 7, Until Dawn, Silent Hill 2, The Evil Within 1-2, F. E. A. R. 1-3 and a few others. I played the most with System Shock 2 and the Dead Space series as I also love sci-fi.

1|1
    0|0
  • I really like horror games and yes no jump scare horror. Wish there were more horror games with a lovecraftian theme.

0|1
    0|0
    • There's an upcoming Cthulhu game.

• Show All
    • Wait, borderlands 3 was announced? Guild is a medival economics/life simulator game that is ton of fun in multiplayer, has tons of bugs but they make the game only more entertaining. I only played guild 2. Guild 3 is a mess. It was released, while being so buggy that it was unplayable. It also has not much content.

• okay guys, I'm loving that I sparked an intense conversation but... can you take it to PM please?

• I like every one I ever played except "Dead Space". It was too slow, and the controls were counterintuitive to me. It must have otherwise been popular, though, because they made a sequel.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like the Friday the 13th game. It is different each time since it is multiplayer.
    Now I just wish they would make a story mode where I can be a counselor.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love them. Just finished outlast for the fourth time. Some of my favourites are Soma, Outlast, Amnesia, and Silent Hill.

0|0
    0|0
    • I like both games that play with my mind and adrenaline. I don't like stupid scares like five nights at Freddy's or whatever. I only like intense chases and well placed jumpscares.

• Watching horror movies won't make me bat an eye. But. When you play horror... Its a different story bro

0|0
    0|0
  • I played dead space (all 3), I liked them but man was I happy when it was over. Wouldn't want to play them again.

0|0
    0|0
  • I make horror games if you have any question shoot.

0|0
    0|0
    • What games have you made/helped make, and where can I find them?

• I'm a Indie developer/ movie Maker i also worked on some movies well Google for a game , Those who remain I'm Art director of that game. Its currently in development.

• I like them, just finished "layers of fear" it was ok

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes Jesus used to play outlast l got tonnes of jump scares

0|0
    0|0
  • first person games are much scarier than third person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Once upon a time I was dared in playing a game called silent hill and then I died.. Dan dan daaaan

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I love the resident evil series.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah but i'm a pussy

0|0
    0|0
  • yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like them, up have to look at this game the park

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope hate them lol

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• I do like them ! 😁 My favorites are Silent Hill 3, Alan Wake, Soma, The Evil Within, Cry of Fear and the most recent: Doki Doki Literature Club.

0|1
    0|0
  • I suck at playing them because I'm too jumpy. Instead I live vicariously through my boyfriend and I watch him play the scary games instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • ya i only watch playthroughs tho cuz im too wimpy to actually play them

0|1
    0|0
  • I love vampire games.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes