Do you like horror games?

I like to try to play them...

I'm more into psychological horrors, jump scares piss me off because they're such a cheap scare... and they fucking work half the time too. I get incredibly immersed in games.

But with most horror games, they're usually too... atmospheric. In your face scary. The look, the sound, the STORY. They don't hide anything, they make sure you know, that you're anticipating a fright. So that when it finally happens you're primed. Ready. And they can pull as much of it out of you as possible so you believe the climax was better than it actually was.

Psychological horrors rely on the climax, not the build up, to get the player. The build up is important, yes, to get the backstory in, twist the players mind. But it's not in your face, it's sneaky. The game leads you to believe it's one thing, when it's really another.

Sometimes mixing the two can work, for example, The Park (available on Steam). It was in your face creepy from the start, but had an awesome twist at the end. No spoilers, I wouldn't do that, but it made the whole trip worth it.
But atmospheric horrors normally psyche me out LONG before i get even half way through.

I'm probably just a sook, but I prefer the horrors that mess with my mind, and not my adrenaline.

How do you feel about them?

522

Most Helpful Guy

• I like the last of us but I don't know if that counts as a horror game.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. They scare me way more than horror movies ever could.