Are women actually averse to Sci-Fi?

I'm aware of the stereotype, and the pressure it puts on men and women to assume that ♀️+🖖 don't mix. I was wondering if it's actually true.

Do you actually find it distasteful as an entire genre, or have you become a fan of any specific titles?

Please tell us your opinions.Are women actually averse to Sci-Fi??
  • I generally enjoy science fiction.
    Vote A
  • I generally dislike science fiction.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• There's good scifi and there's bad scifi. I generally enjoy scifi that has more elements of other genres, less those that are pure scifi. For example the future is a very interesting topic on its own, but if it gets too technological, it gets boring for me. For example Black Mirror can be categorized as scifi, yet it has been very popular with the public all around.

1|1
    0|0
    • I agree that a well written story and exploration of many narrative genre is necessary to make great sci fi.

Though I do get a lot of guilty enjoyment from the portrayal of fictional science and technology from many low-budget B movies.

• Yeah, like those 1950's rockets landing upright.

Oh, wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmvmzuBVNhI

(There's a better version out there, but I've given up looking!)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a guy, and I'm not a big fan of it, myself. I think Sci-Fi often falls into the trap of cherry-picking what's realistic and what isn't. When you bind fiction to the natural laws of chemistry and physics, it either limits creativity or ends up with a bunch of plot-holes and inconsistencies. Even when a particular series does a good job of rationalizing the plot, it does so at the cost of boring me with the details.

At least the Fantasy genre has the decency to throw ALL logic out of the window.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 16

• I'm honestly not a huge sci-fi person as compared to other genres.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah man I've been a sci-fi fan since I could understand words. I grew up on Star Wars and Trek and Back to the Future. I go to conventions for sci-fi and comics all the time (still haven't been able to make it to any trek cons since there's no local ones for me xP). I've never had a friend who didn't love sci-fi, female or not.

Also women invented sci-fi so I mean we kinda would be drawn to it lol

0|1
    0|0
    • I share your sentiment exactly, and I'm glad to see such a positive response in general.

Though I will be taking time off work for a convention this year, or an IT representative pass to CES on behalf of my company if I can pull it off.

• I love sci fi!!! My dad practically drowned me in star wars and all of that lol I've grown up in a household of horror, sci-fi, fantasy, comedy movies. I actually detest chick flicks... Don't worry there a re girls out there with similar taste.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know where you've heard this? I'm really into fantasy specifically Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. And I have played World of Warcraft for about 5 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • I generally enjoy science fiction but I think it's uncommon for a girl to like it because last time I talked with a guy about star ways he was like "It's really rare to meet a women who prefer star wars over disneys and know a lot of stuff about it".

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I enjoy some of it. The Next Generation is probably my favorite Star Trek, but original, Voyager and Deep Space 9 were ok. I like the 70s Star Wars movies. I like Blade Runner. Mass Effect is one of my favorite video games.

0|0
    0|0
  • EXCUSE YOU! I love sci-fi. My vagina doesn't control my interests lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love high quality thougtful sci fi.. sometime sci fi becomes an excuse to be ridiculous rather than fantastical.

0|0
    0|0
  • I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Gate SG-1, and Star Wars because of my dad. I wouldn't be who I am today without him introducing sci-fi to me as a kid.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so, no. The women I know absolutely love sci-fi and I think women have had a bigger part in creating sci-fi than people tend to think.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't find it distasteful, I'm just not a big fan.

0|1
    0|0
  • That's honestly the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like some , depends on how well written the storylines are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Massive Sci Fi fan here 🙋🏼‍♀️

0|0
    0|0
  • I like sci-fi, mostly tv shows and movies, some books. I also lift weights and enjoy engaging in intellectual conversations, you can't generalize women we are all diverse.

0|0
    0|0
  • What a dumb stereotype. Ofc it ain't true

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• Behind me is my wife's model of NCC-1701-D.

Got a good one there! :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I love Scifi

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes