Are women actually averse to Sci-Fi?

I'm aware of the stereotype, and the pressure it puts on men and women to assume that ♀️+🖖 don't mix. I was wondering if it's actually true.

Do you actually find it distasteful as an entire genre, or have you become a fan of any specific titles?

Please tell us your opinions.Are women actually averse to Sci-Fi??
  • I generally enjoy science fiction.
  • I generally dislike science fiction.

173

Most Helpful Girl

• There's good scifi and there's bad scifi. I generally enjoy scifi that has more elements of other genres, less those that are pure scifi. For example the future is a very interesting topic on its own, but if it gets too technological, it gets boring for me. For example Black Mirror can be categorized as scifi, yet it has been very popular with the public all around.

• I agree that a well written story and exploration of many narrative genre is necessary to make great sci fi.

Though I do get a lot of guilty enjoyment from the portrayal of fictional science and technology from many low-budget B movies.

• Yeah, like those 1950's rockets landing upright.

Oh, wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmvmzuBVNhI

(There's a better version out there, but I've given up looking!)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a guy, and I'm not a big fan of it, myself. I think Sci-Fi often falls into the trap of cherry-picking what's realistic and what isn't. When you bind fiction to the natural laws of chemistry and physics, it either limits creativity or ends up with a bunch of plot-holes and inconsistencies. Even when a particular series does a good job of rationalizing the plot, it does so at the cost of boring me with the details.

At least the Fantasy genre has the decency to throw ALL logic out of the window.