Why is Get Out nominated for an Oscar?

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie... but it was nothing special. Just being honest here.

Why is Get Out nominated for an Oscar?
P. S. It was also, a rip off of The Skeleton Key...
  • Because it's something new for the Oscars to do - nominate an average movie that would've been nominated before in a million years.
    Vote A
  • Because they're trying to nominate more movies with people of color in them... so they don't seem racist.
    Vote B
  • Because the movie is brilliant and deserves the honor!
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• B is closest. It's a decent movie, but not much better than others in that genre. The movie industry has become so politically correct lately -- hence the one that won last year. It's really getting ridiculous.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It's all politics. Often the Oscars reward people for a crap movie to make up for missing them on a movie that should 100% have won an Oscar.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 30

• This movie has such underlining and hidden meaning that black people, of course are gonna be proud of. First of all when he put the cotton in his ears so the noise of the teacup wouldn't effect him, therefore he was freed by picking cotton, and honestly I think it was a really great movie. It left me thinking... and not a lot of movies are like that anymore.

1|3
    0|0
  • I just find the assertion that it was nominated because of PC culture hilarious.

Yep, everyone knows how deep and emotionally complex "Driving Miss Daisy" was.

LOLx10!!!

So much feeling and depth!

c7.alamy.com/.../...ing-miss-daisy-1989-EFATMF.jpg

0|1
    1|1
  • The Oscars haven't mattered for years, half of the movies they nominate aren't really Oscar worthy.

But if I had to guess it's because it has a main black character who is the hero and the villains are a rich, suburban, white family who enslaves black people. Hits all the liberal winner buttons.

0|1
    0|0
    • lol, sorry if it seems like i'm stalking you, but i just had to respond cause the meta is wayyy to funny for me not to... you made a good guess given that it's basically in the trailer and the title doesn't exactly leave much to the imagination, mr phelps :D. but what i really wanted to point out the hilarity and irony of the post given that the movie was literally a social commentary on white liberal racism, which you've talked about... and you don't like it... and hollywoo (d) does, when he's kinda making fun of them! i'm not the biggest (key) and peele fan, but i have to give props for doing a hell of a better job to pull that trick off :D :D :D

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau I can't say whether I'd like the movie or not, never bothered to see it. I neither like it or dislike it, just basing it off what I saw off the trailer.

But liberals aren't racist, at least not in that kind of way portrayed in them movie. Liberals in real life half the time that are racist aren't even aware that they are being racist.

Of course I just could have said it was because it was one of the more original horror movies to come out which is probably true to. Which is kind of sad someone hasn't been able to think of something more original, though in this day and age that is kind of asking a lot.

• The movie is actually pretty brilliant underneath the "horror" "thriller" surface.. It deals with social cues and all that good ish.. And I mean are most of the movies at the Oscars anything special? Most of what they have is historic plots, and great actin drivin them.. Look at "Ladybird" ..

0|0
    0|0
  • Because Blacks were bitching about not getting Oscars.
    The truth is, they should take it as a complement. Realistically, all the movies that have ever won an Oscar have been shitty dramas. Okay, Titanic deserved it, but that's the only one.

0|2
    0|3
    • Yeah go white people drowning other white people just because there was "no space on her fucking driftwood Jack"

• Show All
    • @monkeyseemonkeydo They did their own Oscars last year. It's sad that it had to come to that, but if it had to so be it.
      But I wish they wouldn't play the race card every time.
      Like Jurgen Klinsmann said, "I take a player because he's good, not because he's black."
      Im tired of people thinking when they don't get something, it's because of their race

• Have you ever heard of something called structural racism?

• Girls are so pro diversity it makes me cringe. It was not a brilliant movie. Give credit where credit is due, not for the sake of political correctness. I don't know how good or bad it is... but if it is trash i'd bet my house black panther gets lots of awards and nominations just because ''diversity is the most important thing ever''.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well it's been a long time since I've seen the skeleton key but I don't think it was very similar if I can recall. I think it's because the story was really unique and interesting ( at least for me) and that's rare. It felt a bit preachy tho and as funny as the tsa guy was it completely ruined the scare factor. A few parts felt amateurish which held it back from being a real solid piece of art but still a pretty great movie.

0|0
    0|0
  • its a great movie and I'm glad it got a nomination. I hope it wasn't because it was a "black" thing because then it just undermines the movie and the director. It handicaps the black community knowing that they only get special treatment and win things because of their race. They should be treated equally like everyone else. There are better films like Roman J. Israel with Denzel in it. Hope he wins it because he did a phenomenal job!

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but yours is in the drastic minority. Get Out was a phenomenal film by any standard, critically acclaimed and a monstrous hit with common fans as well. Even Rotten Tomatoes, notorious for underrating films, gave it the highest rating they've ever given any film. There wasn't a single film all year more deserving of the acclaim and fanfare. It's been many years since a knockout film like that has hit the theaters, actually. Everyone else is busy cashing checks with sequels, reboots, TV to film, books to film, comics to film, and here comes Jordan Peele as a breakout writer and director, making a unique movie with an incredible cast, and squeezing more insight and social commentary into it than any seasoned filmmaker in the last 40 years, without spoiling the air of the film at that. It immediately rose to my top 5 favorite films of all time. I've never recommended a film more often or to more people.

5|0
    0|1
    • Give me your dealer's number! I wanna smoke what you are smoking...😂🤣

• Show All
    • Well, I simply disagree. None of the films you listed received the same kind of nearly universal praise as Get Out, for good reason.

• I mean you can disagree, but you’re wrong considering Logan is being talked about a top 3 superhero movie of all time (next to the dark knight and ). Lego movie is being talked about as a top 3 Batman movie and received nearly as much praise as Lego movie, which received universal acclaim. Edgar Wright is known as a fantastic director and pretty much everyone acknowledges baby driver as his best made film. Lady bird got universal acclaim, the shape of water got mixed reviews, only because of how weird it was. Coco got near universal acclaim, and so did Okja... I don't know what you’re talking about

• The Oscars have a long history of viewing their role, in nominating films, had a bigger role, than the films themselves. They are looking for films that challenge and, how they feel, challenge society and potentially change it, for the better, as they see it.
    For example, the movie “Brokeback Mountain” wasn’t really a great movie, it just introduced people to gay men relationsionships and potentially change society to empathize with the gay movement. They view and value that, as being more important than inherently the quality of the movie itself.
    The Nobel Peace Prize nominations and winners have been given to known mass murders and terrorist, but given for the same reasons, because of the statement and influence it may have on the world, it’s both disturbing and understandable as people want power and to feel super important most of all, and that means not doing your job sometimes

0|0
    0|0
    • In fact, just about any film about gay rights struggle, in the past decade, all won Oscar’s, no matter what the competition. The movie “Milk” won and beat “The Wrestler” when just about everyone agreed “The Wrestler” was a way better movie

• No one cares about a privileged white girls opinion

1|4
    1|0
  • I think there's politics and SJW shit involved in these Oscar decisions.

0|2
    0|1
  • Because it was a brilliant movie. It may have seemed average and it might not have FELT mindblowing but that's because nothing was out of place. The movie was almost perfectly balanced in all the right ways. Sometimes some of the best crafted movies, in which all aspects are balanced don't feel like they stand out because you don't take your time to go back and see how much was set up and how well it was all set up.

If nothing feels out of place or awkward, we're not so likely to notice. Honestly it may well be that the movie is so good for its lack of flaws rather than for it going beyond expectations.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because it was an amazing movie and broke box office records. It has nothing to do with race. Whiny non-black people like yourself claim black people make everything about race and then ask questions like "Is A Movie That Broke Box Office Records Being Nominated For An Oscar About Race?" It was an amazing and wildly popular movie that deserved Oscar nomination and got it. Keep on crying and making it about race. Many movies with black stars have been nominated for/won Oscars. Just because you didn't think the movie was great means nothing. I'm sure there are many movies you don't believe to be great but don't whine every time they are nominated for Oscars and question if it's race-based.

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe because it was kinda funny. It was a good movie in my opinion, but I prefer horrors with elements of supernatural.

0|0
    0|0
  • From what I've gathered from Interviews is all the symbolism that anybody who isn't white can see. Where as white people are like, its just a movie.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they're trying to nominate more movies with people of color in them... so they don't seem racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • Get out has so much symbolism if you watch YouTube videos about there’s a lot, which is really cool when you realize it

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, the main character is black, so they nominated the film, purely for having a black actor in it.

Simples...

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm black and didn't think the movie was that good. I was pissed

0|1
    0|0
  • Because compared with most movies today this one is better.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because Black Lives matter and they're underrepresented at the oscars.

0|0
    2|1
  • cause it was actually a good movie.

1|1
    0|0
    • It was an ok movie... but really... Oscar material? I think not. God, I hope not.

• Show All
    • Try and understand... "Get Out" will not garner lasting praise as either a meta layered social commentary or a statement on movie making craft, though obviously it does from you and for all intents and purposes, that's all that matters. Chapelle has lots of fine moments, and I agree that most people are indeed too stupid to get a really fine joke, but more often than not, I want to laugh and try to forget just how stupid humans really are.

• @loveslongnails that’s kinda hard to dispute when it’s literally making fun of the horror genre as a horror/comedy and specifically about liberal racism as a contemporary/satire movie... that’s not debatable. That’s like arguing that Dr strange love won’t hold up as a social commentary/satire of nuclear warfare or literally every black mirror episode won’t hold up as commentary about current society and tech... you’re literally making no sense. Well, then that’s just not your brand of humor, I guess. You don’t have to like it. The point being that he, and get out work as smart and good as they’re observational comedy, and do it really well, objectively

• They should have asked you before nominating it.

1|1
    0|0
  • Movie with the most Trump jokes is going to win.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah... I agree. His state of the union should win an Oscar. I laughed until I cried... what a stroke of genius!

• It's obviously B. The movie was shit.

0|0
    0|1
  • because its a good ass movie why else

0|1
    0|0
  • because its satanic lol that's why

0|0
    0|0
  • Option B very likely

0|0
    0|1
  • Because it's a rigged competition

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 4

• I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on it, but I usually go by the rule "never watch Oscar winning films, they are no good". There are, of course, exceptions to the rule.

0|0
    0|0
  • I hated this movie so much, I think it was very poorly thought out. I thought the storyline was wack, they could've made it as something more meaningful

0|0
    0|0
  • I do really like this movie (one of my favorites of 2017) and I think that it does deserve an oscar.

0|1
    0|1
  • Option 2 is a racist opinion and ofc you wouldn't notice because you're not a P. O. C

1|1
    1|2

Recommended myTakes