Is it racist to photograph black people for people overseas?

Most of my family live in Southeast Asia, can't speak English, and never been to the U. S. I visit them every summer and want to photograph my high school, as well as schoolmates (black and white people) for them to see. We don't get many tourists in our city, and never any black tourists. Rarely whites. And some schools over there don't even have air conditioning, so I want to show them how different schools in America are, as well as no uniforms.
Updates:
And I WILL ask for consent. I haven't taken any photos of people specifically. Just my school and the building.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Please ask for their consent and explain to them your situation. You can be as honest or as vague as you wish, just get their consent to take the picture. To think they don't have feelings on the matter or a say in the matter would point towards racism.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Why did you feel the need to specify black people if you're photographing white people as well? The titles drifts from the rest of the content you just gave us and in all honesty doesn't make sense.

0|0
    0|0
    • Because if people at my school just see me taking photos of them, they might think I'm trying to be racist. And how does the title drift away?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• hi, black guy here,
    i don't think thats racist. just ask if its okay with them to be photographed I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

0|1
    0|0
    • Thanks, I'm just afraid that they might not be able to relate. I'm like the only Asian at my school, and everyone else has family who lives close to them. While my relatives live nearly 10,000 miles away.

• I'm sure they would understand

• If you make friends with the people you photograph, you can't be racist. You may only see them once in your life but while you are talking to them, you will be their friend.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nopes

0|0
    0|0
  • It's fine

0|0
    0|0
  • Creepy

0|0
    0|0
  • No, for the love of God. I feel like drinking bleach right now. Taking photographs of black people or African Americans as most like to say does not at all and I repeat does not relate to racism in any way.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• I would be extremely offended. You act as if we’re some kind of zoo animal. Really who does that. Honestly asking the wrong person would get you slapped.

0|0
    0|0
    • What if I asked my friend, who is black? And no, I wouldn't mind it at all if my classmates took a photo of me (an East Asian person) eating a bowl of rice with chopsticks. It's not like I'm making fun of these people. Even if my relatives want to visit America, they can't. Their passports don't let them.

• Show All
    • Okay, that's good enough. Thanks for answering.

• You’re welcome. I hope there are no hard feelings.

• No. Unless you're taking the pictures to make racial slurs or some negative regards to race, it's not racist.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes