Metalheads, rockers, when you were a teen (or if you still are), how were your parents when it came to music you loved?

I may get some obvious answers on that XD as for me mine weren't bad at all. I mean to have a mother that would encourage me to buy AC/DC's highway to hell album? uh yeah. I've had a few friends in the past that would hide their music (they bought CDs like I do) because of their parents.

there have been a few times where I still at least felt a little weird getting a certain album and knowing that my parents know about it (even when they don't care). when I bought metallica's "load" album in a thrift store last year, I didn't know for a while what that album art was on it. now I regret knowing lol if you don't know what it is, the album name was an unintentional hint *holds back laugh*

metalheads, rockers, when you were a teen (or if you still are), how were your parents when it came to music you loved?
I think the only time my parents got picky with me about music was with Marilyn manson's album "mechanical animals" which I'm not surprised with right there. but I was like age 12 at the time.

how were your parents when it came to your music?

#music
Updates:
forgot to say that my parents don't mind if I crank up the music. I've shaken up the house a few times and its scared our animals before but not them lol

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 26

• Pretty understanding actually.. they bought me some albums, never complained unless I was cranking the music to 11 and I even share some of my music taste with my dad.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well they're both very religious (Christians) but actually i'm not... I was always contesting them and speacially my mom was really scared when she found out i was listening stuff like slayer, manson and lot of death and black metal.
    I had really long hair and i've been singing in a metal band for 6 years...
    Let's say they were not exactly happy...

1|0
    0|0
    • jeez. well hey, being in a band and all that is awesome though. I'm soon working towards doing the same. rock on dude \m/

• Parents absolutely detested it lol. Didn't stop me from going to Napster back in the day and then burning cd's

1|0
    0|0
    • napster? be happy lars Ulrich didn't find you lol

• Show All
    • I've watched those lol it was hilarious. and when they made james pretty much like a Frankenstein

• Yuuup lol. Loved that shit back in the day.

• Zero support or interest. Step dad was into country and airsupply.
    I was into slayer, lamb of god, etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • I love Rammstein, Korpiklaani and on and on.. My Mother just doesn't like it when I listen to it too loud in the same room as she is in, but that's all, she's pretty relaxed about such things.

1|0
    0|0
    • even if she doesn't let it be too loud, at least she's ok with it in general! like the username by the way lol

• They didn't care. I was listening to my mom's black Sabbath albums from like 12 to 16 years old. Lol. More so when I was 15 and 16

1|0
    0|0
  • My parents didn’t really care too much of the music we listened too. (Me and my brothers and sister. But when it came to dressing like a metal head my parents did not like it. And in the 80s that meant. Ripped jeans band shirt Jean or leather jacket with band patches on it and of course long hair. But over all my parents let me do what I wanted.

1|0
    0|0
  • They didn't care so long as I kept it down and wasn't worshipping Satan.

1|0
    0|0
  • My dad introduced me to Metallica AC/DC and black Sabbath

1|0
    0|0
  • I've grown up in a muslim family. I'm a big fan of marilyn manson and tool since I was 10 until now. Yeah they are really open with that. They let me live and think they way I like and helped me to learn how to be myself.

1|0
    0|0
    • My parents are into folk and traditional stuff. They're not into metal and rock.

• They've never had any issue with it and I've never even given it any thought hahaha

1|0
    0|0
  • I was lucky. My parents soundproofed my room so they wouldn't hear anything from it.

1|0
    0|0
  • my dad was a metalhead and my mom liked Green Day, ACDC so i'm good ;)

1|0
    0|0
  • My mom like half the stuff I listen to and doesn't like the other half. She doesn't like Punk rock but she does like metal.

1|0
    0|0
  • I didn't really listen to metal until I was almost out of high school. My parents did not like (and still don't) the music I listen to.

1|0
    0|0
  • My parents both scoff at metal when I'm listening to it but I'm close to moving out so I blast that shit like they aren't anywhere near me!

1|0
    0|0
  • My dad played nine ich nails and papa roach when i was child and that's all you need to know

1|0
    0|0
  • They hated a lot of it. I got into trouble for buying Slayers divine interventions.

1|0
    0|0
  • My parents were cool about it. It was my mom that started listening to Green Day

1|0
    0|0
  • I have pretty cool parents. They couldnt care less about the kind of music i'm into.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• My parents are both into classic rock and some modern rock and metal and when I listen to music I tend to listen with earbuds or headphones anyway. But I've shown them some of the music that I like and they have mixed feelings about it depending on the song

1|0
    0|0
    • well better having mixed feelings than them freaking out coming at you with a cross saying "the power of Christ compels you!!" like you're a Satanist or something XD

• Yeah xD No they're not like that lol

• Lmao my parents are the ones who introduced me to rock and metal. Ozzy, Beatles, etc my dad mostly was the one who got me into it, kinda had no choice when you are 4 years old and your dad blasts acdc at 11 am. But ya

1|0
    0|0
  • My parents dont really care. As long as I like it (they can't understand the lyrics bcs of the screaming, maybe better lol)

1|0
    0|0
  • Lol, I became semi enthralled by the song “She Wolf” by megadeth and my mum looked at me like I was crazy

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes