Any documentary recommendations?

I really love watching documentaries and docu-series about pretty much everything. Would you happen to have any suggestions what to watch next? Please explain what the documentary is about, too.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Hello again.
    Some of my favorite ones are

Promises
    (The Israel-Palestine conflict through the POV of children)

The Price of Sex
    (A documentary about sex trafficking)

The Hunting Ground
    (A documentary about rapist frat boys)

Black In Latin America
    (A documentary about race and Haitians in the Dominican Republic)

The Perfect Vagina
    (A documentary about labiaplasties)

Before The Flood
    (A NatGeo Documentary about climate change hosted by Leonardo de Caprio)

wocomoTRAVEL- Grenada
    (A documentary about Grenada)

From Russia With Hate
    (A documentary about Russian Neo-Nazis)

Cobra Gypsies
    (A documentary about Rajasthani gypsies)

Cuba: Wild Island of the Caribbean
    (A documentary about Cuabn wildlife)

Ah screw it! I'll just follow you. If you're rude, you're rude. I think you're cool.

1|0
    0|0
    • Just remember I warned you.

• Show All
    • Thanks. Did you watch any of them?

• I haven't had time yet. I think I'll try and watch a few this weekend.

Most Helpful Girl

• Extremis - It's something I watched as I prepared myself into full time work as a nurse to learn the fine line of faith and end of life decisions. It was especially a tear jerker as it flashed back memories of me learning how to let my mum go when I knew the pills she was on for cancer was no longer working for her. It also made me aim to have the same mind set of knowing when to let go like the doctor featured in the doc.

The Waiting Room - Such a messed up look into how staff in ER are overworked and out numbered by patients who suffer not only from major injuries and critical health conditions but the hard choices they make from not having insurance. Makes me cry for wishing that everyone has accessible and universal healthcare.

The Red Pill - A woman who sees herself as a feminist comes to learn about Men's Rights Movement and has her views and beliefs challenged. It really sheds light into the issues and challenges that males face. As well as pushes one to see that yes, talks on specific gender rights are important, but overall the principal that everyone is deserving of equal rights and opportunities should be the aim we set.

Before the Flood - Leonardo DiCaprio meets with various environmentalists, activists, world leaders in discussing about climate change and some solutions.

Food, Inc. - A scary look into America's cooperate food industry, it's negative affects and how modern day food processing is disgusting. Really makes you want to advocate to people how important it is for them to focus on their health and forget about mass food industries.

On The Way To School - truly makes you feel for children who need to travel such a distance for a their right to education. Truly gives perspective on how school is sometimes taken for granted and how some in developed countries are truly privaliaged to free education.

Babies - It follows 4 babies from 4 diffrent countries and diffrent living conditions (rural/urban) to give the viewer an insight on how a child is shaped by nature but how nurture also plays a valuable role in seeing them grow happy and healthy.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 31

• Fear of 13 was really interesting, story of a guy who was wrongfully convicted after he tried to lie out of a smaller crime. It was in Netflix when I watched it. Others if you haven't already seen them:
    Making a Murderer
    Blackfish
    Deep Web
    March of the Penguins

0|0
    0|0
    • I liked Fear of 13 and Making a Murderer a lot. I don't think I've seen the rest of those, though. 🤔

• Show All
    • All sound interesting, thank you!

• 'Jesus Camp'. Documentary on Christian fundamentalism in the USA. He obtained several nominations and awards. It shows what life is like inside extremist evangelical groups.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ-y1oAq6XE

'Destino Futbol: Sócrates'. If you understand Spanish or Portuguese I recommend this documentary that tells the story of Socrates de Souza one of the greatest South American soccer players, the interesting thing about his story is that he was a person with a great intellectual capacity and a lot of conviction, who led a movement against dictatorship of his country and questioned the great injustices in Brazil. It is a very good documentary! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXq6hUgBvb0

If you like biology, you may want to see natgeo's "insects at war". Confrontations between kingdoms of ants, termites, wasps and bees.

1|0
    0|0
  • Blackfish
    The Green Prince
    Only the dead
    The square
    Cartel land
    The propaganda game
    Operation Thunderbolt: Entebbe

Blackfish is the well-known film about the mistreatment of killer whales in those parks. It boils down to them being mistreated and violently taken away from their natural environment. It also focuses on the deaths caused by the killer whales.

The Green Prince is quite interesting to me. It's essentially a documentary about "The Green Prince" or Mosab Hassan Youssef. He is the son of the old leader of Hamas, the sworn enemy of Israel. Yet, he ends up spying for Israel to avoid killing of Israelis and Palestinians. It goes in great length to explain his position, the difficulties in the area. It's a pretty great documentary.

Only the dead is quite a violent documentary. It's about the Iraq war since 2001 and quite extraordinary. That's because the journalist that is the main person was one of the only ones that got deep inside the terror network of Abu Bakr Al-Zarqawi, the main terrorist guy at the time. The documentary talks about how he experienced those interactions with the terrorists, but also shows the civilian and American side of the story. It's really interesting and has a unique perspective, thanks to the footage and unique relation the reporter had with the terrorists.

The Square is about what drove the students of Egypt in protesting against the Egyptian government. It's an emotional story, sharing the perspectives of friends and family in the thing. Its an exceptional documentary.

Cartel land. It's been a while since I saw this one. It's basically about the cartels roaming around in Mexico, but more about some countermovement by citizens against the cartels in a very dangerous area. Great documentary.

The propaganda game really sheds an interesting light on how propaganda works and how much effect it has in North Korea. For example, I can remember a scene in which many people got eye treatment and could once again see. Did they thank the doctor? No, they thanked Kim Jong-Il and Kim Il-Sung. It really is a good documentary.

Then the last one, about operation Entebbe. This may be less interesting, but it's more about the remarkable achievement of the Sayeret Matkal. It basically involved 93 Jews being taken hostage in Uganda.

1|0
    0|0
    • Israel then responds by sending their best of the best to free them thousands of miles away. It's been hailed as one of the greatest military operations by a special ops of all time. Personal favorite of mine, since my uncle was part of the Sayeret Matkal in those times.

• I forgot Virunga. That is truly an astonishing documentary. It's absolutely astounding.

• If at all interested in cars racing Senna about Aryton Senna probably the ballziest driver ever. There's a couple good ones put out by VICE, like State of Surveillance

1|0
    0|0
    • I usually watch documentaries about the weirdest things that I wouldn't think interest me at all. 😅

• Pretty sure there's a documentary on vice about boys in Columbia that fuck sheep lol, that's pretty fucking random

• Thieves by law. It's a documentary about Russian crime and how it's merged with business and politics in Russia. It's very different from most documentaries about the subject. Reason is, it's interviewing the real mob bosses. The men that started it in real life

1|0
    0|0
  • There's two that I'm big fans of, one is called something like Alien Planet Darwin. Hypothetical scenario of humans sending robots to discover a new found planet that has visible life. Another is called The Evolution of Man (I think, don't quote me on it) has awesome graphics.

1|0
    0|0
  • "Amanda Knox" it is on Netflix , she was convicted twice for a murder
    Their is a documentary on Hitler and Nazi o. Netflix related to concentration camps
    J F Kennedy killing documentary on Netflix
    Their is one of a girl who was kidnapped when she was 11 and was found when she was like 29 years old , " captive for 18 years " is the title

1|0
    0|0
    • These are all serious ones

There are animal documentary of national geographic channel also
      One football club Juventus series also

• Show All
    • Argo is a great film indeed

• "We can make you talk" it's about interrogation techniques and the history of interrogation as an anti- espionage tool

1|0
    0|0
    • Ooo that sounds extremely interesting! Thank you!

• It is, it's about an hour and a half long and involves people who voulenteered to be interrogated and the documentary covers the history and development of the techniques as they're used on the voulenteers.

• If you like historical series, that are based on true life stories, and If you like history about WWII, I would suggest 2 series. "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific". They both follow soldiers during WWII. "Band of Brothers" is from the European side, and "The Pacific" is from the Asian side.

I found myself almost crying at time during both of them, and knowing these things actually happened really makes you think.

1|0
    0|0
    • I was going to send you a message about these two series, but I don't have high enough privileges to send messages.

• Maybe you'll like this!

https://youtu.be/dzyxSgLtyRM

1|0
    0|0
  • Prison documentaries are interesting. Shows the life of convicts, there everyday obstacles for them and the security guards.

Documentaries about history are also nice. Titanic or ancient egypt is my favourite.

1|0
    0|0
  • Id suggest Zietgeist. Its a series of real world docus m v eye opening. I started with the 2007 one n went from there. Each is about 3 hours

1|0
    0|0
  • If you can get it, keep an eye on NHK World channel. They run some interesting documentaries. RT documentary also have good ones, but you need different satellite dish.

0|0
    0|0
  • "New York's Secret Underground World Documentary"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elNyaJBZWcs

Some tragic ones:

"Anonymous - The Story of Aaron Swartz"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpvcc9C8SbM

"Hollywood Paedophiles Exposed"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vI02VfwiPQ

1|0
    0|0
    • I also watched a good one once on Bletchley Park regarding WWII. I don't remember the name of it, though.

• Killer legends is p good, about urban legends killers that turned out to be real

1|0
    0|0
  • Michael Tellinger has some amazing talks he is on YouTube.

1|0
    0|0
  • Roy Orbison: Love Hurts and Roy Orbison One of The Lonely One's.

1|0
    0|0
  • Watch Vice documentaries. They're professional, outgoing and unique.

1|0
    0|0
  • Religilous by bill maher, super size me, the lion king

1|0
    0|0
  • Going clear which explains how Scientology is a modern day cult

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• I watched My Friend Dahmer Ik he was the weirdest and the one about Samantha Smart. I just wanted to see what did the director see in Ross Lynch portray such an intense character about the most disturbing serial killer in the world. He did a very good job. Samantha Smart OMG that was intense.

1|0
    0|0
  • Five Came Back is really interesting if you're into film. It's about a bunch of really famous filmmakers like William Wyler in WWII.

Kedi is about street cats in Istanbul, it's in Turkish but it has English subtitles. I met the director of this documentary she's super interesting to talk to and clearly loves these cats.

HH Holmes America's First Serial Killer is super interesting as well. It's about a guy who set up this elaborate murder hotel during the World's Fair because he just liked killing people and the web he wove is really strange. There's some cheesy recreations that pulled me out but it's mostly really good

1|0
    0|0
  • Chernobyl!

1|0
    0|0
  • The Cove.

1|0
    0|0
    • What's it about?

• It’s about dolphin slaughter in Japan. It’s very sad but definitely worth watching. It shows you what goes behind those dolphins that go on captivity for entertainment (aquariums) and what happpens to those that don’t get chosen. It’s an eye opening documentary. Highly recommend 👌🏻

Recommended myTakes