Willing to soon have a metal band together... how to get over stage fright?

so once high school is over for me I'm going to try and put a band together. probably a thrash metal band. but there's one big problem... stage fright. never been on a stage in my life but i already know i have that. because i play guitar and whenever i play in front of someone else, extreme nervousness comes over me and i tend to screw up a lot with what I'm playing. any way i can get over that?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• First off, I would give up on getting rid of nervousness in it’s entirety. I’m been in multiple bands and gone on stage plenty of times. I still get a little nervous. Nerves are standard.

That being said, you can get less nervous— where your nervousness won’t be a hinderance.

What I would suggest is facing your fear at a gradual level. When people have phobias, for instance, the way treatment goes for them is to be exposed gradually. Phobias and the like are created from continual avoidance. Hence, if you face the issue, you’ll get more comfortable/less afraid.

I would first get comfortable around playing with any of your musician buddies in a jam sesh. It’ll be fun, and you’ll get more used to playing in a group setting.

If you don’t feel comfortable getting on stage at this point, I’d suggest hanging out with your musician friends at a park or someplace public to jam. Do something acoustic or whatnot. Since there are people around, it’ll be more nerve-wracking than the previous step but less nerve wracking than a stage (since they aren’t focusing on you).

After that, I would then suggest facing your fear and jumping on stage. Of course, it’s a good idea to practice a lot beforehand. Practice helps a lot.

When you get on stage, I would suggest a few things...
    — Have fun. This is the most important thing. If you treat it like a fun experience, you’ll feel more comfortable and you’ll also perform better.
    — Mistakes will happen. Don’t expect perfection. When I go play drums for my current band, I make plenty of mistakes. I keep going though. So, my advice is to trudge through. If you get too perfectionist, you’ll freeze up, which is not good. Realistically, people in crowds don’t notice small things anyway. Tbh, crowds don’t notice the small things anyway. I’ve made mistakes I thought were glaring, and audience members afterwards mention how they didn’t even notice.
    — The first gig is generally the roughest, but after that it becomes much easier.
    — Almost exaggerate the stage performance. Most likely, you’ll be more timid than you realize. Move around. Look passionate. Also, whatever you do, don’t read chords or help off your phone (I know a guy that did that. Looked realky bad). Go all in and live in the present while you’re up there.

I used to screw up a ton more in front of others too. Hands would get sweaty, I couldn’t think straigt. Whatever. Exposure to the fear is what really helped though

1|0
    0|0
    • awesome XD thanks for being very detailed on it all

• Lol no prob. Gigs are a ton of fun. I’ve played with various thrash metal bands and the vibe between everyone is usually pretty cool and supportive too

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• Start small and work your way up, it'll get easier bit by bit as you get used to it.

1|0
    0|0
  • imagine your audience doing something really embarrassing, but mostly just start playing for an audience whether it's your friends, your dog anyone who will listen. Confidence comes with experience. Or listen to Stage Fright by The Band

1|0
    0|0
  • It will pass as soon as you get on stage, because you're a badass and people want to see you that way, doesn't matter if you feel ready or not, show must go and you will just carry on automatically.
    If you are too scared and you think you don't have the guts, drink a little bit of rum before, but beware not to get drunk, that's something you may only do after ;)

1|0
    0|0
    • lol XD there might actually be one good thing about the fright. i get very shaky hands. can play thrash easily with hands that can't stop moving lol

• I play guitar and was thrown in at the deep end. I think the best way is to just go for it. Thisbis what i did and i failed terribly in the performance. People laughed at me but that should make you want to get better. If you fail badly itll only get easier. Once you fail once its extremely unlikely you'll fail again. If you do really well the first time it would boost your confidence and would never be as hard to get up infront of people

1|0
    0|0
  • , I had the same problem before I went out in the stage or out in the rain I had to puke my guts out try it unless you're the singer in it hurt your throat

1|0
    0|0
    • damn XD luckily I'm planning on being on lead guitar lol

• Show All
    • Have fun

• thanks i sure will XD

• Start by playing in front of a mirror then gradually work it up to 2-4 friends and the rest will be history. Send me songs when you get them ready 😄

1|0
    0|0
  • I know what you mean but a few things I have noticed over the years. I get more nervous playing in front of friends and family. It sounds weird because you would think you should be comfortable with them. Actually I am more comfortable in front of strangers. Two the bigger the crowd the less nervous I get. Mainly because it becomes more impersonal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Practice in a garage with your band like real rockers do and you'll kick ass, sis'!

1|0
    0|0
  • https://youtu.be/3RBSkq-_St8

Make your own band ♡

1|0
    0|0
  • We all take one hit off a blunt to calm the nerves, and not get off our asses high

1|0
    0|0
  • Playing with a group of people makes it so much easier

1|0
    0|0
  • Practice in front of people

1|0
    0|0
    • a few times me and my dad have had jam sessions together. after a while i do tend to be less nervous, apparently we need to do that more often

• Yes, you do.

• Same way lol.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• When you work out how to get over stage fright please let me no. As I can sing but when it comes down to singing in front of people I literally lose my voice it’s crazy x

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes