In the movie Matilda why do you think her parents were so mean to her?

Do you thinking was because they knew she was special or was it more of a gender thing?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Because they were from two different worlds.
    Her parents represent an uneducated world without imagination. They accept what is fed to them (on TV).
    Matilda, on the other hand, disregards "societal" (her family's) expectations and standards and finds her own path and escape via books.

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• I think they were miserable who couldn't handle their daughter being different. They started to see her succeed and were jealous so they mistreated her to sabotage her.

One of the favorite Movies by the way.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 13

• from what i remember of it i'm pretty sure it was because she was obviously extremely smart and them being not so much so were pissed off due to insecurity of that and so they projected it onto her. never thought i'd see the day i'd be talking about this topic of matilda lol

1|1
    0|0
  • Because They weren't on the same page, Harry did not agree with his wife, he did not want Matilda, It was his wife who wanted her to have a name that she had a daughter to brag about. It's All about being able to brag. Also the TrunchBull Got a car from Harry wormwood that way it was a trade for the schooling. As you can probably know They were very bad parents That movie. Some parents take after the neglect from their parents.
    If this makes sense

1|1
    0|0
  • They seemed like they didn't like that she was a girl amd they didn't like that she preferred reading to the trashy shows they liked, lI don't really remember tho because it has been so long since I have seen it

0|1
    0|0
  • Because to them she was an accident and they were too caught up in making money instead of being parents. She also didn't go with the flow like her brother.

0|1
    0|0
  • As soon as they knew she was a girl they where repulsed. The obvious did necessary things but it seemed normal to leave there 4 year old alone all day. And for her to have to ask to go to school...

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it's because of her gender and then later in her life because of her brains.
    Her mom said she never understood her.

0|1
    0|0
  • She was unplanned but people talk about abortions more in saburbia the child abuse... I don't know I could be wrong but that's is what the mivie made me feel as a child

0|1
    0|0
  • she was bright and smart and she didn't fit in with their back way of thinking..

4|1
    0|0
  • I believe it was bc she was smarter than them. That intimidated her parents and instead bullied her

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know. I guess they didn't want her to do well.

0|1
    0|0
  • She was smart, they wer idiots, they mean to the gifted

1|1
    0|0
  • Because she was the result of an affair?

0|1
    0|0
  • Two words. White trash

0|0
    1|0

What Guys Said 10

• I believe it's because her family lived a "cheat through life/selfish" lifestyle and Matilda's mindest and actions conflicts with, causing conviction, resulting in retaliation from the family towards Matilda. Ironically Ms. Trunchpul (misspelled, don't care lol) could have fit into her family as a long lost aunt.

0|1
    0|0
  • I just know the boy thing they probally like but would still treat him as awful. They were not good parents and lacked in parenting skills

0|1
    0|0
  • It was definitely because it was in the script. Danny Devito would have been fired if he didn't repeat his asshole lines correctly lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they were written that way... they’re fictional characters.

And I *definitely* wouldn’t go to to gendered place because that’s ridiculous.

0|0
    0|0
  • My grandparents were way worse than that to my mom.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is to teach the people about what happened in certain families and how to deal with it.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's because they were assholes, no need to think of an out for them, they're just assholes.

0|0
    0|0
  • They were just dicks

1|1
    0|0
  • I haven't seen it yet.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they needed a plot point

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes