Fergie's rendition of the US' National Anthem during the pre-NBA All Star game, thoughts?

What do you all think of singers changing the style of the anthem?

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I think she did too much and should’ve just not done a “rendition”... I loved looking at the players & guests reactions’ though 😂

1|1
    0|0
    • I read all the comments on the NBA memes omg. People were funny af and mean lol

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 65

• Probably you haven't checked news before asking this question.

Quoting her statement..

“I've always been honored and proud to perform the national anthem and last night I wanted to try something special for the NBA. I'm a risk taker artistically, but clearly this rendition didn't strike the intended tone. I love this country and honestly tried my best,” the Black Eyed Peas singer told TMZ

Source :

www.foxnews.com/.../...nal-anthem-performance.html

Admins of @GirlsAskGuys had featured this question but clarification had came from her side.

m.tmz.com/.../

1|2
    1|0
  • i don't mind someone trying to change the style of the anthem but she isn't talented enough to sing it in such a jazzy style. she sounds like someone who listened to billy holiday a few times and thought... i can do that

2|1
    0|0
  • I believe they're trying to introduce some difference in the song to catch the audience's attention, when you hear a certain celebrity you like is singing the national anthem you want to watch it, which is what sports franchises' want.

1|0
    0|0
    • They were successful in catching people's attention alright.

• They got the people's attention and piss them all off lol

• She literally murdered it. Shitty version, shitty vocals.

4|1
    0|0
  • Fergie is a great artist and singer. Remember, she has released so many different styles of tracks and her voice has always been the bomb (remember the black eyed peas songs?) However, this is just a moment in her life.. maybe she sang it at the repetition better, every human makes mistakes. Also fergie.. but it was not really that bad..

0|0
    0|1
  • Sometimes they kill it other times they don't. Did the people clap?

1|0
    0|0
  • I only listened to the first 30 seconds. She hit the right notes. She just did not hold the lows for long... people let singers improvise that song all the time so what do they expect? All the whining is pointless.

0|1
    0|0
  • I thought I was awful and meaningless. The anthem was chosen for a reason but this deviation doesn't surprise me. It comes off the back of the kneeling bull shit. They want to weed patriotism out so any controversy is good controversy in the eyes of the globalists. The EU stands under one flag and all western nation states will eventually be dissolved. Kalegri plan

0|0
    0|0
  • We should put that in a Try Not To Laugh Challenge. It's very very hard to make me laugh but I truly lost it 3 times watching that. 😂😂😂

1|1
    0|0
    • Specially the NBA players trying to keep a straight face 😂😂

• I like unique styles of the anthem when it is done well. This, however, was terrible and not done well at all.

2|0
    0|0
  • Didn't hear it, don't care. She's not the first person to perform the anthem in a way some "concerned patriotic citizens" didn't like, and she won't be the last. Ultimately, they're missing the point. Freedom means artists can interpret the anthem however they like. That's what we as Americans are supposed to stand for.

Granted, I already think we take our nationalism way too seriously, so feel free to consider me biased. It's your right.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't like it I like the original version it is what should be expected we should stand at attention for it. it allows us a moment to think about our heritage and all those who have fallen for this country

1|0
    0|0
  • She looked really good. I was eating out at a restaurant with friends from farther away than a days travel. The bit of time I gave Fergie was that thinking. Damn. She is still such a beautiful woman. Also thinking I would have to youtube her later. I've always liked her voice.

0|1
    0|0
  • Terrible... It was tasteless and tacky... She could have done much better and everyone knows it... She has an amazing voice but she ruined the anthem...

1|0
    0|1
  • Fergie rendition of the Anthem was not a good one. Based upon other singers like Michael Bolton, Christina A., Cuba Gooding Sr., and R. Kelly. She did a okay job not the worse in my opinion.

1|1
    0|0
  • I can't speak for everyone but as a person with a huge background in sports, we generally just wanted to hurry up and get to playing the sport. We couldn't care less how the anthem was sung.

1|1
    0|2
  • I only got about 30 seconds in and had to stop. She's awful and looking for attention.

2|0
    0|0
  • Trash. Straight trash... I don't know if she was just excited for the opportunity, or what.. but never again NBA

2|0
    0|1
  • I thought it was fine. Peoples' reactions reminded me how much people don't like to stray from norms. This uneasiness even came from the enlightened sjw NBA crowd.

0|0
    0|0
  • Her voice isn't that bad but she totally destroyed the tempo of the song.

I thought when everyone was complaining it was because she couldn't sing.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 47

• Trash. I can't stand when they do that obnoxious nonsense. As if the national anthem isn't bad enough she really thought making it a 9 hour disaster was smart.

4|5
    2|2
  • Is she on drugs again?

0|0
    0|0
  • Horrible!! I'm sorry but there are certain songs that you shouldn't try to change that much. Putting your own style to it is great, but for someone who is paid millions to sing, to sound like she was an amateur was so disappointing. The half time show was awful as well.

2|0
    0|0
  • I thought it sounded awful... I felt embarrassed FOR her. I also kinda feel bad for her too though because judging by her reaction at the end, she really thought she nailed it.

I don't know why so many celebrities try to change it. I can appreciate talent and wanting to be original but putting your own personal spin on the National Anthem is just unnecessary in my opinion.

2|0
    0|0
  • I understand singers changing the style of the anthem, it's a song sung by so many people, so many times they want to make it their own. However they should probably just leave it alone.
    Fergie didn't sound horrible, it just was a bit... much.

1|0
    0|0
    • Exactly you hit the nail on the head she wasn't bad the old school jazzy kinda feel i really liked but she was trying a bit too hard to emulate the feel and was s bit over the top but i did like it unlike everyone who is hating i liked it

• Being a Shrek fan the only thing I read was All Star.

1|2
    0|0
  • Haha it reminds me of this Simpson's episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4c2KDLWpI0

I think Fergie's performance was great :)

0|1
    0|1
  • Not even a US citizen but I think it's stupid. An anthem is an anthem. It shouldn't be changed into a whole new song just to show off. I think you should be able to sing along

1|1
    0|0
  • As a non American that was bloody awful... cruise ship singer what an embarrassment

3|0
    0|1
  • Changing the style is one thing. Changing it to something awful is something else. I really don’t care. Change it do what you like be prepared for criticism or praise depending on how it works out.

1|0
    0|0
  • National Anthem is the pride of a country and how it is sung shows the style of a county. This is not a good thing to chamge the tuning of a country's anthem.

2|1
    0|1
  • To me, it’s a disgrace to the national anthem. I know she was trying to do something “different” but it was absolutely horrendous!

1|1
    0|0
  • I didn't even realize that was her. I was in another room so I could only hear her. She turned it into a jazzy old school nightclub rendition lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • She reminded me of a soccer mom trying to be sexy. Horrible.

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess folks forgot about her NFL superbowl performance

https://youtu.be/ejl2g6GoaR4

0|0
    0|0
  • You just never really know how "your version" of the anthem is going to turn out. I believe in her heart of hearts, she practiced this, and she thought it was good and maybe to some ears that heard her practice, it sounded good to them, but rehearsal is not live TV or a live audience. Normally I say, just do the gid, and sing it straight forward the way we have generally come to know the song to sound, but then I think back to some singers who have really put their spin on it and it transformed the song into something you might have bought on i-Tunes.

0|1
    0|0
  • You can change it up - give it a twist thats your creative juices flowing. However if you are going to do it, make sure you can do it.
    Dont bite off more than you can chew

0|1
    0|0
  • To me she try to sound like a jazz singer may because there was hella black people around LOL

1|0
    0|0
  • Great singer who missed the mark with her exploration of a jazz rentdition.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't mind artists putting their own spin on the song but her version was atrocious.

1|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes