Rate this Stand up comedian out of 5: Bill Cosby?

One of the most influential stand-up comics of all time Bill Cosby is perhaps more famous for The Cosby Show, which aired from 1984 to 1992 and was rated as the number one show in America for five years, 1984 through 1989. The sitcom highlighted the experiences and growth of an affluent African-American family.

While many comics of the 60s-70s were using the growing freedom of that decade to explore material that was controversial and sometimes risqué, Cosby was making his reputation with humorous recollections of his childhood. Many Americans wondered about the absence of race as a topic in Cosby's stories. As Cosby's success grew he had to defend his choice of material regularly; as he argued, "A white person listens to my act and he laughs and he thinks, 'Yeah, that's the way I see it too.' Okay. He's white. I'm Negro. And we both see things the same way. That must mean that we are alike. Right? So I figure this way I'm doing as much for good race relations as the next guy."

• 5/5 The best comedian ever!
    Vote A
  • 4/5 very funny
    Vote B
  • 3/5 sorta funny
    Vote C
  • 2/5 not very funny
    Vote D
  • 1/5 worst comedian ever
    Vote E
  • Who's Bill Cosby?
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Results of previous polls:

Eddie Murphy: 4.3/5
Steve Martin: 3.9/5
Dave Chappelle: 3.9/5
George Carlin: 3.9/5
Bill Burr: 3.8/5
Louis C. K.: 3.8/5
Bob Hope: 3.5/5
Jim Carrey: 3.4/5
Norm Macdonald: 3.4/5
Don Rickles: 3.3/5
Tim Allen: 3.3/5
Jerry Seinfeld: 3.2/5
Jim Gaffigan: 3.2/5
David Spade: 3.1/5
Dane Cook: 3/5
Bill Maher: 2.3/5
Rosanne Barr: 2.2/5

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Not very funny.. He talks so slow.. like he's doing comedy for children?

0|1
    0|1
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Just the way he talks I guess lol. Many other comics poke fun at it 😛😂

• I find that unnerving. It makes me want to finish sentences for him.. if I knew what he wanted to say lol

Most Helpful Guy

• I really can't look at Bill Cosby without seeing 'rape' now, but objectively speaking I did like his comedy prior to the sex scandals. Not a lot, though. I always thought less of it because he was such a try-hard in the realm of keeping things clean, even going as far as to tell Eddie Murphy not to use 'curse words' in his act. However, he represents that you don't necessarily need to be dirty to be funny on stage, which some people need or prefer. I saw the special he put out as an old man & he just looked like an unfunny relic, I felt bad for him. But the older specials had me laughing some. I feel like as a performer he's probably on the level with Seinfeld, but I laugh more at his jokes comaprarively. Overall, I would give him like a 3.5. I liked watching DVD's of Fat Albert or episodes of the Cosby Show sitcom & he has a better body of work than a lot of comedians, but the corny lameness & now rapey look it all has now kind of degrades him from being a 4.

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• As a stand-up comedian, 3/5. As Cliff Huxtable in the Cosby Show, 5/5!

I'm only addressing the issue about Bill Cosby, the comedian, not his troubling personal life.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not sure he's best known for the Cosby Show nowadays. . . Lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I've only seen Bill Cosby Himself, so based on that, I'll rate him a 4.5/5.

0|1
    0|0
  • zero i never enjoyed his brand of humor, and less when i find he was rapist

0|1
    0|0
  • 2/5 not very funny

0|2
    0|0
  • he's pretty funny

0|1
    0|0
  • Pretty funny

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 19

• Was never a big fan, I found impressions of him always funnier than the man himself :D 2/5

0|1
    0|0
  • I rate him double 5 he's the perfect 10. The best smooth most natural cleanest comedian of all times. He really knows how to do things right British comedian shows he really worked well with the kids
    as well and he could tell some good funny jokes. He is the best in the world. Thanks for making this Bill Cosby thread

0|2
    0|0
    • Oops sorry about that voice command error. I mean he could really do things right in his shows I don't know how the word British got in there lol

• I'd say 3.5-4/5. 👍 The reason being he never swears, and always kept his act clean like Jerry Seinfeld. Like you stated, his act had the absence of race as a topic. Something people needed at that point in time. (Which sadly some Americans think we live in now)

0|1
    0|0
  • I listened to him a lot growing up. I think he's funny.

0|1
    0|0
  • Here's hilarious. Enough said. Whatever you think if the guy, you have to admit, he's good at comedy.

0|0
    0|0
  • He varies a lot, sometimes he's very funny, sometimes he's not funny at all.

0|1
    0|0
  • He is a 4 of the highest grade. I can't say a 5 only because I don't think he is the best ever. But one of the best for sure.

0|1
    0|0
  • He was very funny, especially on the cosby show, don't really watch anything of his lately

0|1
    0|0
  • He was funny but his disgusting actions ruin everything. He's a shit pile

0|1
    0|0
  • Used to have many of his albums back in the late 60's, early 70's.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never seen anything from him.

0|1
    0|0
  • I never found him nor his show funny at all.

0|1
    0|0
  • Decently funny

0|1
    0|0
  • 3/5 sorta funny

0|1
    0|0
  • he put me to sleep

0|1
    0|0
  • On the scale of 0 - Creepy Af
    He's 5

0|1
    0|0
  • 5/5 The best comedian ever!

0|1
    0|0
  • Like a 2 or 3. He was never that funny tbh.

0|1
    0|0
  • He was so funny he knocked them out 😒😒

0|1
    1|0

Recommended myTakes