Rate this Stand up comedian out of 5: Rodney Dangerfield?

Another favorite of mine, The legendary Rodney Dangerfield had the image of a lovable disgruntled everyman type with his famous 'no respect' comedy act.

After years of not making it big Dangerfield finally got his break when On Sunday, March 5, 1967, The Ed Sullivan Show needed a last-minute replacement for another act, and he became the surprise hit of the show.

Afterwards he began headlining shows in Las Vegas and continued making frequent appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show. He also became a regular on The Dean Martin Show and appeared on The Tonight Show a total of 35 times. One of his quips as a standup comedian was, "I walked into a bar the other day and ordered a drink. The bartender says, 'I can't serve you.' I said, 'Why not? I'm over 21!' He said, 'You're just too ugly.' I said as always, 'Boy I tell you, I get no respect around here'." The "no respect" phrase would come to define his act in the years that followed.

In 1969, Rodney Dangerfield teamed up with longtime friend Anthony Bevacqua to build the Dangerfield's comedy club in New York City, a venue he could now perform in on a regular basis without having to constantly travel. The club became a huge success, and has been in continuous operation for nearly 50 years. Dangerfield's was the venue for several HBO shows which helped popularize many stand-up comics, including Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, Tim Allen, Roseanne Barr, Robert Townsend, Jeff Foxworthy, Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks, Rita Rudner, Andrew Dice Clay, Louie Anderson, Dom Irrera and Bob Saget. He ironically gained massive respect from most comics later in his life.

• 5/5 The best comedian ever!
    Vote A
  • 4/5 very funny
    Vote B
  • 3/5 sorta funny
    Vote C
  • 2/5 not very funny
    Vote D
  • 1/5 worst comedian ever
    Vote E
  • Who's Rodney Dangerfield?
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Results of previous polls:

Eddie Murphy: 4.3/5
Steve Martin: 3.9/5
Dave Chappelle: 3.9/5
George Carlin: 3.9/5
Mitch Hedberg: 3.8/5
Bill Burr: 3.8/5
Louis C. K.: 3.8/5
Kevin Hart: 3.7/5
Bob Hope: 3.5/5
Jim Carrey: 3.4/5
Norm Macdonald: 3.4/5
Sam Kinison: 3.3/5
Don Rickles: 3.3/5
Tim Allen: 3.3/5
Jerry Seinfeld: 3.2/5
Jim Gaffigan: 3.2/5
Bill Cosby: 3.1/5
David Spade: 3.1/5
Dane Cook: 3/5
Bill Maher: 2.3/5
Rosanne Barr: 2.2/5

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Voted 3/5 but it's more like 3.5/5
    He's funny but can get on my nerves because he thinks he's sauve. My husband just loves him.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Sam Kinison above... ANYBODY? That makes your list ratings suspect - he was a screaming asshole, every video I've seen.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

What Guys Said 17

• Some of his jokes don't connect for me. But some were really hilarious, I remember busting out laughing when he did that bit saying

"I called my wife and she said 'Come over, no ones home'

I went home, no one was home!"

That shit was golden.
    Personally I like his style but I would probably peg him as like a 3 or 3.5 so I voted 3.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always thought he was funny as hell, but my wife couldn't stand him. One line he did: "They first time I had sex, I was pretty scared! I was all by myself!"

0|2
    0|0
  • i voted 5/5 one of the best in the biz. i don't know why even beyond his jokes i just loved something about his delivery, persona, self-loathing and deprecating style

0|1
    0|0
  • Funny, no mention that I seen of his acting career. He was a little kids crude and a bit rude , but I always love his stuff. Like Rodney.
    I get no respect !

0|1
    0|0
    • I will post names of other comedians if that's ok? most from back in the day. Just a few , one being George Carlin (pre-rehab) post rehab he got too political and very dry for my taste.

• Absolutely wonderful! This guy helped a lot of young talent really get into the game during the 80's as noted above.. Take my wife. Please!

0|1
    0|0
  • He's top of the line, I saw him in person performing. 5/5 The best comedian ever! You're putting out some pretty good threads here I like it

0|1
    0|0
  • It's interesting to see what humor was like for old people.

0|1
    0|0
  • Very funny, he had quite a few one liners in Caddy Shack

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah he was pretty good in that episode of the Simpsons and in Caddyshack.
    4/5

0|1
    0|0
  • Who's Rodney Dangerfield?

0|1
    0|0
  • One of the best comedians. Classic!

0|1
    0|0
  • 5/5 The best comedian ever!

0|2
    0|0
  • That's classic comical genius

0|1
    0|0
  • Very funny. I personally love his humor.

0|1
    0|0
  • 3/5 sorta funny

0|1
    0|0
  • 1 he's shit

0|1
    0|0
  • I enjoyed him in movies

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes