Who is your favorite author, and why?

Who is your favorite author, and why?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• There is so many great authors I like a lot but if I have to choose one, I always say Stephen King. He is very prolific, which is good and a bad thing. His work sometimes is amazing, good, bad or just horrible. Still I've read almost everything from him, and still plan on continuing every time he releases something new. Many know King for his horror stories but he is actually very versatile. There is various genres and themes he writes about. Kings stories are interesting and suck you in. He is amazing at making the characters and the world alive. Attention to detail is something which always amazes me. I like that a lot but I do understand why some find it annoying to read several pages about some irrelevant small character, or irrelevant background for the story.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• J K Rowling. I've never cried while reading a book until I read the last Harry Potter book. She has a way of making you feel attached to and identify with the characters on a level I've never experienced before. And she must have a treasure chest of imagination to make up a world like that with all its details. But she's also a great inspiration in herself - after everything she's been through, she still believed enough in herself and her ideas to go ahead and make her dream of writing a reality (and created Harry Potter in the process). She is brilliant as well as a perfect example of how you can still succeed despite any hardships life throws at you.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 32

• Haruki Murakami, he makes surrealistic books with a lot of fantasy elements and twists and turns.

0|0
    0|0
  • I haven't read much books but J. K. Rowling, Stephen King and Veronica Roth are my favourite authors.
    Specially J. K. Rowling who spends so much time in details in her books. We all know that hee hard work paid off well... Her writing style is so full of feelings and expressions...

0|0
    0|0
  • Either Cassandra Clare or Brent Weeks.

Clare writes teen fantasy romance, but all of her story have a taboo element that makes her stories more unique, and they're all set in the same universe but with different characters so it's neat to have cameos from her other series and stuff.

Brent weeks writes more adult fantasy novels and what's great about him is how dark and graphic his writing is. He also seems to do a lot of research for his books which makes it more realistic and engrossing.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't have a favorite. I have favored authors. But Dan Simmons is probably the fucking best. SF, Fantasy (that doesn't suck), historical fiction. His SF is the best, because he inserts literary analogues as plot devices. What do I mean by this? HYPERION: a 'quantum analogue' of John Keats is... created... to witness events in the 32nd century. Of course, it's all centered around the theme of Greek story of Hyperion. And there's much more.

0|0
    0|0
  • i am going to pretend you authors, and give you an abridged list... it isn't feasible to pick a singular author at this moment...

kurt vonnegut, sylvia plath, frank herbert, laura ingalls wilder, patrick f mcmanus, john r. erickson, charles bukowski, roald dahl, ralph moody, mark twain, frances hodgson burnett, e. e. cummings, a. a. milne, steven king, lewis carol, j. r. r. tolkien, john steinbeck, corrie ten boom, chuck palahniuk, linh dinh, l. frank baum, p. l. travers, and here is where i stop myself before i waste my day on this..

1|0
    0|0
  • Oscar wilde. Because he is just an amazing writer and also because he wrote my favorite all time novel, the picture of Dorian Gray.
    misanthropicmessiah. tumblr. com/tagged/dorian gray

0|0
    0|0
  • Roald Dahl. I have always enjoyed his novels. I used to read his novels when I was in school.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't have one, but I do read philosophy books all the time. I don't pay attention much to the author, just the stuff in the book.

0|0
    0|0
  • Larry Niven and Terry Pratchett are two of my old favorites, but Jim Butcher is one of my newer gotos.

0|0
    0|0
    • Mmmmm, Larry Niven has in my experience only been good when he was writing with someone else, for example with Jerry Pournelle in the Motie books.

• Show All
    • @Ahsthen
      Agreed. I'm fascinated by the singularity. I can *almost* see it. I think in five years we'll be looking at it bearing down on us. I'd love to discuss this with you because I find almost no one in my circle who recognizes that it is heading our way.

• Sure, I'll holler at ya. I've been thinking seriously about immortality since '84.

• Patrick Rothfuss. He has created a beautiful universe in his books where I can escape to and gain leverage on my own reality.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have 3
    Margaret Atwood
    Paul Auster
    Voltaire

All for different reasons

0|0
    0|0
  • Brandon Sanderson, his scifi universe is BEAST!!! Everything fits together so perfectly, he also pops out books rather quickly

0|0
    0|0
  • Alistair MacLean, wrote Guns of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra and my all time favorite Where Eagles Dare

0|0
    0|0
  • Mark Twain , I liked “ The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” , Tom Sawyer, I read when I was a kid

0|0
    0|0
  • Lion Boy Trilogy by Zizou Corder. It had me on the edge of my seat the entire time!

0|0
    0|0
  • H. P. Lovecraft.
    I like his writing style, his stories as well as his world views.

0|0
    0|0
  • Stephen King. I like how his characters are designed.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tom Sawyer. Because I can relate to most of the stuff he wrote about

0|0
    0|0
  • Neal shusterman. Who wrote the skin jacker trilogy, the downsiders, the schwa was here and my personal favorite the unwind dystology a book that really makes you think about the human soul and weather it exists... Alexander Gordon Smith is great to who wrote the escape the furnace series... maybe even Patrick Ness who wrote the chaos walking trilogy a great book series around hate and bigotry, he also wrote more than this that's mesmerizing with his depiction of heaven and is really positive on gay relations.

0|0
    0|0
  • My Favorite author would have to be Robert Littel. I love his spy novel "The Company"

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 14

• Sophie Kinsella. Her books are just brilliant and make me laugh, cry & believe I’m living with the character!

0|0
    0|0
  • jodi picoult right now, because she tackles the topics no one else wants to talk about and goes about it in a very human like approach

0|0
    0|0
  • It would have to be a tie between John Green and Stephanie Perkins

0|0
    0|0
  • Philippa Gregory. She researches heavily and her books are factual as well as well crafted.

0|0
    0|0
  • Isabel Allende. Can't point exactly why, but I've never read any book of hers that I haven't liked.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ellen Hopkins and I don't know tbh her books are amazing to me

0|0
    0|0
  • George R R Martin, because of the complexity of his story and the lack of political correctness.

0|0
    0|0
    • You can find that lots of places. Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy. Or the opening of his THE NANO FLOWER - "Suzy crapped the frankenstein cockroack into the toilet". Bold.

Martin is a Fantasy dude, and Fantasy is always backward.

• Show All
    • Not to haggle you, but because I don't understand, what money do you need for the library?

Also, you might be surprised what your school, especially if college/university library may have.

• And since I'm thinking about it. If THE TIME MACHINE interested you, Baxter did a... continuation of it in his THE TIME SHIPS. Pretty groovy. Although MANIFOLD: TIME is a great one as well. Baxter's done it all. Venturing into different universes, with different physics. Most folks don't know SF is the source of everything in SciFi, without the dumbness of course, at least twenty years in advance.

• Haruki Murakami. I love his surrealistic style of writing.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's hard to pick just one. So far, I kind of like Dostoevsky and JK Rowling

0|0
    0|0
  • Would you buy I book I wrote?

0|0
    0|0
  • Roald Dahl always loved those books growing up

1|1
    0|0
  • Haruki Murakami.

0|0
    0|0
  • Aerith Sage