Video Games Don't make you Violent... Agree or Disagree?

This question has probably been asked tons of times before.

Bringing it up now cause of Trumps actions to speak to video game execs about the violence in games. Instead of dealing with the real issue.

Video games have been used throughout the last 30 or more years as a scapegoat for violence in society. Whenever there's any debate. Politicians love to go after video games.

I have been gaming since 3. All my life. So you may feel I have some bias. Which I might. But let me just say. My opinion is no. They do not cause people to be violent...

But, and this is the only leeway I give it. This applies to movies, books, anything really. They can influence an ALREADY disturbed individuals thoughts and they could do something awful.

Now to be clear this is NOT the movies or the games or the books fault. They hold 0 responsibility.

That person as I stated is usually already unstable. Emotionally or mentally and they might have stuff trigger them more than others.

So that's the only link I can admit to. Despite it being insanely rare. Someone who is already disturbed can be triggered by any form of violence.. And that's on them. Not the product.

Now I personally believe 10 year olds shouldn't be playing GTA. Even though I was. But don't need to be 18 either. I say 13 or older would be an okay age.

So parents blaming games for there 6 year old swearing and wanting to mimic the fighting game. That's on them. Kids mimic everything they see.

Now I've rambled enough. I like to hear others opinions. Video Games Don't make you Violent...Agree or Disagree?
  • Yes they do make you violent!
    Vote A
  • No they don't make you violent.
    Vote B
  • Yes, its creating desensitized killers
    Vote C
  • No all ages should be allowed to play any game
    Vote D
  • Other opinions... Tell me below...
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure not. I think it's weird how much guns and video games are being blamed by media and politicians for the actions of deranged individuals. Guns for example was always part of culture in some countries, like US and Serbia, and that's never been a problem.

Video games are world wide spreaded among young people. Games like GTA, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil (I couldn't play RE before bedtime 😂), this was all part of my childhood and generation. And violent crime rates here in Hungary is among the lowest in the world. Another example is Japan, I've never seen a people so addicted in games, and there are some really bizarre ones lol. The no correlation between games and violence is obvious if we take in mind Japan is the most safe big nation in the world.

I think the nonsense violence is an American problem. Maybe they are consuming too much antidepressants, which have suicidal ideations as a side effect, and they are having a misperception that games and guns should be blamed for such events. If there are some individuals with delusional tendencies, it should be addressed, they should be kept out of video games and guns, not the entire people.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• Well decades of research has not found a single link between the two so... nope, there's actually less violent crime as the popularity of video games have increased (not saying there's causation though..).

0|0
    0|0
  • They actually did some studies on this which prove the opposite; or at least it looks like a correlation between video games and things like crime rate dropping.
    What matters more is if the kids are given attention from those they care about; if they're neglected and miserable then they might do something violent, whether or not they play video games.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think there is more to it then these options. I do think they desensitize people, however that doesn't mean you will become a killer. However there have been studies that show that kids that see violence on a regular basis act out in violence more. Guns are not the problem, the problem is the screening process for who can get the guns. Or at least that's my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. If a game "makes" you violent, you've obviously got deeply embedded psychological issues to begin with. Let's look at GTA V as a prime example, a game which has sold millions of copies worldwide and was criticised for it's graphic violence. Has there been an upsurge in violent crime as a direct result of this? Of course not.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's therapeutic as long as you can separate the game from reality

1|0
    0|0
    • Exactly. Those who can't separate reality from fiction. Already have problems they need to deal with and can't blame their actions on the entertainment they watch

• Show All
    • Oh I see. Sorry you have to deal with that

• It's fine I didn't mean to turn this into a therapy session sorry

• I don't believe so there's violence on TV and in movies. I do think parents should make the ultimate decision if their child is mature enough to handle games

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a gamer and this what I do when my kids plays video games

0|0
    0|0
    • Lmao.. Don't play Gta v. You aren't old enough... Here's Witcher 3 :p

• Show All
    • Nah... I save it for their mom lol

• There we go lol

• Video games can't influence your behavior but it do can influence your sleep. Becouse i do make weird movements during sleeping after paly first person shooter games 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people are more impressionable than others. It might affect a young child (5). But, I watched wile e coyote and the roadrunner growing up and I've never dropped an anvil on anyone.

0|0
    0|0
    • That's why I say it's up to the parents to watch what their kids are doing. Kids act out anything they see or read or watch or play. So that's why they shouldn't be playing those kids of games at such a young age. It's on the parents. Not the form of entertainment. And don't worry im not moaning lol im just saying what I meant :p

• Show All
    • Exactly. Teach them morals and hope they apply them in life

• Amen Sister

• I think that the violence in video games is desensitizing, but no more so than other mediums. My family has a saying: garbage in, garbage out.

0|0
    0|0
  • No you don't yes most gamers would like to think they if needed could do some crazy hero shit but no it don't make em do some schoolshooting

0|0
    0|0
  • Anything can make you violent if you are predisposed to violence.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course not. It's the glorification of real like serial and mass muders

0|0
    0|0
  • no they dont. i am a psychopath and they haven't made me violent

0|0
    0|0
  • totally agreed.

0|0
    0|0
  • they turn you very bad

0|0
    0|0
  • There's studies that say it doesn't

0|0
    0|0
  • They actually make you less violent

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't make kids violent at all. If kids start shooting up schools and start murdering people, it's because of other problems in their life.

I've been playing violent video games all my life. Assassin's Creed, Call of Dudy, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Gta, Red Dead Redemption etc. And I've never hurt anyone or been violent in my entire life.

Video games have only really been around for 20-30 years and are people really gonna try and tell me the world was 100% perfect and violent free before video games were introduced?

I suppose Hitler played a lot of Call of Duty lol (that was sarcasm)

2|1
    0|0
    • Call of Duty Ann Frank Returns XD

• Show All
    • Yeah I know, it's best if we stop 😂

• It's better if we continue

• No they don’t, if anything you get to release frustration that way instead of real life

0|0
    0|0
    • I wana see the people who are saying they make killers XD. 2 have voted that already

• Show All
    • Exactly lol. No movie or game or book can make you a killer unless you already vastly fucked up in the head

• Agree 👍

What Girls Said 12

• They definitely DON'T make you violent...
    Of course, you can find a study that proves whatever point you want it to, but almost all of the studies can't connect gaming with violent behaviour. And that, my friends, is a fact.

1|0
    0|0
  • I totally agree. Video games do not make you violent.

1|0
    0|0
  • Obviously we have a ratings system in every game region: ESRB, PEGI, CERO

It's a parent's responsibility to enforce this on the home front. Games don't make people violent, but impressionable children might learn that yelling "CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT" like Trevor Philips in GTA5 is "cool"

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know but GTA did leave me with lots of dreams at night about stealing cars

0|0
    0|0
  • Video games make people about as violent as movies and books do. So basically not at all, at least not if they haven't already been psychopaths.

0|0
    0|0
  • While it may seem like it makes some violent, the big issue there is they have trouble distinguishing between reality and the fiction of their game.
    Personally I use videogames such as Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor to release some frustration as it's easy to go on mindless killing sprees. This has helped keep me from saying something I probably shouldn't or physically assaulting someone.
    In reality it all depends on the person and on the parents to teach their kids what is reality and what is fiction

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree, my first violent game I played I was like maybe 10 or 11 and I didn't swear because of it or do anything crazy because of it and I was 5 or 6 when I finally started playing video games. They just want to find things to blame. For instance Slenderman was created in 2009 and no one did anything crazy when people heard of him but now during 2016 ( If I remember correctly ) they want to blame the creater because two girls tried to kill another girl because they wanted to do it for Slenderman. Video games has been out for a very long time I was born in '92 and game systems were out before than. No one told me that people were shooting or doing anything violent because of a video game until now in this generation.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve been murdering people on videongames since I was 5. It didn’t make me violent. Weak minded people don’t need to play violent video games.

0|0
    0|0
  • i murdered 600 people once, and all because i played a video game :(

0|0
    0|0
  • My son started playing GTA at 13 (it was impossible to avoid! I would like he never played the game) and CS at 14... And I think it changed him a bit... But I don't have the evidence how it would be if he wouldn't have played. I see he is 'addicted' to playing :/... And chooses only military and violence ones.
    Perhaps it's 'teenager behavior' and his 'violence' it's the testosterone playing hard 😉
    As much as I wouldn't like him to play those games, it's impossible to cut. But I blame the parents to allow small kids playing or watching this stuff

0|0
    0|0
  • Disagree

0|0
    0|0
  • Agree.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes