Are blending stumps worth it in drawing?

Hey, I'm a mostly self taught artist, I'm not amazing yet, but feel good about where I am. When blending, I've used either my fingers or tissue and it usually works pretty well. I used to have some blending stumps and they didn't seem to work great and once they got pigment on them, it seemed like they were pretty much ruined for future drawings as they would just smear. I hope I've just been using them wrong, because I like the idea of a blending stump. It just doesn't seem to work well.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Use a sharp knife to sharpen the stump & remove the smudged areas. I find using Q tips works best.

Fingers work too, but stains the paper over time

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I would just use your finger and then wash your hands if you don't think blending stumps work well for you, I have never used on - I tend to prefer using a tissue or something similar. Hope this helps <3

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• Stumps are a tight coil of paper, the idea is you can peel back the top layer to have it clean again. Kind of like sharpening a pencil.

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh, I didn't know that!

• When I used the blending stumps didn't really work as well as my fingers or a piece of tissue did

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes