How music relaxed us?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 1

• Is your question “how can music relax us?”
    To answer that, music doesn’t necessarily have to relax us, but rather, it can trigger all sorts of different emotions.

It does so in mainly two ways:
    1.) Conditioning.
    Music often triggers emotional responses by playing upon previously established connections made within a lifetime.

I’m sure you’ve heard of the Pavlovian dog experiment before, right? It was an experiment where a dog would be presented with a metronome sound followed by food. (Note that food causes the dog to drool.) After awhile, the bell becomes a signal to the dog that he/she will receive food, and the meteonome sound alone can cause the dog to drool. The food is the unconditioned stimulus, the metronome sound is the contioned stimulus, and the drool is the conditioned response.

In regards to music, the notes/keys/styles/aspects of music are conditioned stimuli, your past experiences are your unconditioned stimuli, and your associated feelings are your conditioned stimuli. Hearing a certain group of notes or the sound of a violin may subconsciously remind you of a time when you were sad. Ever feel sentimental listening to a piece? It is this sort of concept. Hearing the Kingdom Heart’s soundtrack reminds me of when I was happy playing the game as a kid, and the feeling of happiness is triggered when I hear the song now.

On the flipside, it’s how we can tell if a piece of music doesn’t fit. We like predictability in our music... hence why a computer can’t choose compleely random notes/note lengths and simultaneosly please our ears.

2.) Mimicing emotions/people.
    However, conditioning alone wouldn’t explain for how a 5 year could be really inspired by Mozart without hearing previously similar sounding material. This can be answered by how music is shaped at its essence though. Music often mimics human emotions.
    Tension of clashing notes can simulate emotional stress, which can cause us to feel stressed, and hearing complimenting notes (less oscillations) can cause us to hear it as a beautiful melody. Dynamics can provide intensity of emotion or can simulate shock... that sort of thing.

They work hand in hand in hand together to draw out emotions, or, in turn, relax us by drawing out pleasing emotions.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes