Does your interest in video games decline as you get older?

Im not talking about Android and Ios games but console gaming. Does your interest in video games decline as you get older?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It has significantly only because nothing I'd usually play is out. It sucks too because when I didn't have a computer there were sooo many games out I wanted to play.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I've been a gamer since I was 6 i think
    I got my first console (the gamecube) and I played it 3 times a week i think

After that I got a PS2 and i still played it 3 times a week

But when i got my nintendo ds (the very first one), I was addicted, if i had to go to bed, i brought it with me in bed and played it till middle of the night or sometimes till i almost had to wake up while i had to go to bed at 20h00 or 8 pm

After that i got the PS3 and I got everyweek another game to play (there was a store and if you bought a used game, you can bring it back in a week and get the price of it back on a ticket to give it to another game in that store)

So every week a new game and I was a trophyhunter

I was the one with the most trophys from my friendslist

I've been doing that for more than a year and then I started with learning the guitar so i gamed a lot less since then

After the PS3, I decided to build a desktop pc by myself
    i got a job just to build a pc (about 3.5 years ago)

It wasn't the best pc, but i could game on it with at least high settings on every game 1080 pi

I started to game a little more again but not like before
    Now I upgraded and overclocked my computer and got more then 180 games on steam alone but i dont game a lot anymore
    I think this week, i played 4 hours seperated over 2 days so yeah my interest in gaming is declining

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it has I have been playing pc games constantly for the past 10 years. Recently I stopped playing video games all the time. I did this for a number of reasons a decline interest of them, depression, a feeling of wanting to do more with life other then just spending my free time playing video games.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 30

• I guess it depends on the person or any other interests they may develop over the years or if they start a family. To keep an interest going you need to dedicate time to it. Even if its small amount of time. Older you get. Busier life gets and you may have less time for this interests. And eventually that can translate to you losing it. Now you will still enjoy video games. But may not have as strong a zeal to pursue it

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve noticed I play more as I get older. I think for me it’s because energy levels generally decline as people get older, and where most people gain the responsibility of children or caring for a house, I don’t have any of those major adult things to worry about... I just have my cats lol. It also has to do with financial stability and being able to buy the games and consoles that I want

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think my interest for games decreases, I think that I just have more stuff to do and worry about so i can’t play as often lol

I used to always play Smash and Tekken but now that I have college assignments and more adult things to do, I find it hard to have time to play. I think that’s why you don’t really see many adult gamers online. Or if you do, it’s really late at night, because their day is usually filled up with things to do.

0|1
    0|0
  • You have less time, so its harder to do the really good stuff over all

But I don't think age matter on it, if at all with me age got it stronger, as now I have my own funds to buy the games, and don't need to hope to maybe be able to get just enugth to get it

0|0
    0|0
  • My interest hasn't declined but my time available to play video games has decreased unfortunately due to work and studies.

2|3
    0|0
  • I played them at 8-13, then stopped and just started it again month ago

0|2
    0|0
    • Started again? Is your lawyer degree proving too stressful? 😂

• Show All
    • How old is your brother? 🤔

• 19 why xD
      He rarely plays, we used to play more in our early teens

• Mine definitely declined. I remember when I had tons of fun playing The Sims, GTA IV, Assassin's Creed, Pokemon. Now I get bored very easily by playing any video game, I don't know what's happened x. x

0|0
    0|0
  • Firstly I’m busier now that when I was younger but I do try get on when I can
    Secondly my reflexes aren’t as good as they were when I was 18 so where I would wipe the floor with everyone before I’m just kinda average now
    But I still like them

0|0
    0|0
  • The interest hasn’t changed, yet the ability to afford gaming systems & games has. Bills, groceries, etc. comes first unfortunately & I am only a lowly part-timer.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it’s remained pretty consistent. Of course I get more interested if a game I’ve been excited about is finally released, but it’s always something I’ve enjoyed and used to relax

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, but I tend to only play my favorite games more. I actually have two weeks left before I graduate from game design college so it won’t be long before I start making some new games!

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I just have less time for it these days which fucking sucks

0|0
    0|0
  • Not exactly. its mainly due to lack of time and other priorities.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only because I don't have friends that have/play the games I do.

0|0
    0|0
  • It has for me. I still like to play video games, just not as much as I used to.

0|0
    0|1
  • I'm not very old yet so I can't tell. I still love Video Games

0|0
    0|0
  • I grow out of the sims. My favourite games is splatoon 2 .

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely not. I even lend my spare time to play it (which is rarely, i might add 😂)

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the person i will love video games still the day i die.

0|0
    0|0
  • At my age I’ve grown more fond of them

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 76

• For some people it does, for me it hasn't and I don't think it will. Many people pursue gaming hobbies their entire life, there is nothing to be ashamed about from it. If anything I think it's healthy to have such an interactive hobby, keeps the mind active.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it did. I still play some, but not as much as I used to. I reached the conclusion that time spent on it is time not spent on things that are much more valuable to me, like learning new things (to raise my professionality or just for my general knowledge) or spending the time with the people I love.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah, I've been gaming since 91 and I've consistently played the whole time. I'm not the type to get obsessed and do it all day long though.

But, I'm divorced, don't have any friends, and have a job that pays well without tons of hours of work so I got nothing but free time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, most definitely. You'll find better and more interesting hobbies. Such as why would you play a car simulator, when you can drive in real life. Why to play a shooter game, when you can go to the shooting range. Why to play on a remote island, when you can go and spend a nice vacation there. Why to play football, when you can play that IRL.

0|0
    0|0
    • Id argue that the driving game offers risky maneuvers you can't try irl, the shooter offers more intense action than a gun range, a vacation is way too expensive and not nearly as open to your choices, eh, I don't play sports games anyways. I'd also argue that many games offer deep interactive stories and others offer diverse gameplay, features that can't easily be achieved through other mediums.

• Show All
    • I'm not judging you. Live your life how you want, it was just that you made some points against gaming that I wanted to argue against. Also, I don't really like the way you try to seem like you're a better person for not playing games, sorry if you didn't mean to come off that way, it just seemed condescending.

• @devilman666 I didn't say that I'm a better person. I simply say that by time you'll also see that living your life is much better than hiding behind a stimulant that is giving false premises.

• I love videogames, i'm studying to become a developer, but now i am living by my own i cannot afford most of the games i want to play so i have become very exigent and selective, with the pass of time i play less than before

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm actually trying to get back into gaming... I've been playing so little lately that I've almost stopped... Mostly because I don't have time for it...

0|1
    0|0
  • I might play more often than I do. But the overall choice has become very dull. To find 'jewels' is getting harder each day. I think, the whole genre had its climax years ago, and now is on the decline.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not for me. Although there are many that do... It could be a generational thing but it could also be based on trend it is currently trendy to play video games. What happens when the trend ends...

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess at this point I could barely keep up with PS3 games, rarely ever play it much any more and I hadn't been able to keep up with the current generation systems.

0|0
    0|0
  • you have less time for it as other things in your life take priority. probably peak gaming times would've been during college years. at my age, between work/gf/social engagements, I probably only get to play like an hour a week.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't say so. I know a lot of dads (over 40) play elite: Dangerous; the nostalgia probably plays a big part (The first Elite launched in 1984), but hey, it's a big game!

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope... but the main problem when you get old with a job and a family of your own is time management

You can barely have time to game anymore lol and mostly it would be after you kids have gone to bed

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't play as much as I used to when I was younger. I will play for a few hours a few days. I guess games aren't as good as when I was younger as I would totally get lost in playing a game for like 6 hours and have fun with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really... You just don't have as much time... If I didn't have so many things to do, I would probably play video games all day...

0|0
    0|0
  • It changes. I used to be so enraptured in my imagination, but now it takes s while to get it going. Not to say I don, t love stabbing dragons and blasting noobs.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends, techically mine did, but part of that was getting into pc gaming but now i'm getting into the back end of console gaming, emulator systems and hosting private servers for older consoles

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope , it increases... the more people you'd have to deal with throughout yah live, the stronger the desire to avoid them is. Hens gaming as a distraction:)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it does actually. Which I'm glad, because I'd rather be doing other things. I'm glad I'm ridding of my video game addiction.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it has.. basically nonexistent. Even though i have a Steam account with over 50 games. I enjoy being around people and enjoying life more.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mine has. My ps4 is basically a netflix box. Less interest each time a ps was released from ps1 onwards

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes