What are people’s reasons for loving Modern Art?

I know there’s many reasons for producing art. Some do it for beauty, meaning, expression, or simply for the craft. But Modern art.. eh I just don’t understand why people are willing make it and for others to pay millions of dollars for this kind of art. I can see someone paying like $50 for a painting to hang on their wall, but MILLIONS? Especially for the art below.

Now, I know some of you will say in defense that “It’s not about whether or not a child could do it, but that it was created. You could’ve done it, but you didn’t.” or “It’s original and breaks from the usual art”

But as an artist, I find it insulting to see simple and “original” pieces, such as those below, displayed in museums. The pieces mock the 15 years of hard effort I put into improving my artistic abilities. What’s the point of spending so much time into drawing and going to art school if someone with no skills whatsoever can bullshit their art into a museum? Please explain to me why this is so.

“Royal Red and Blue”
$75.1 million

Fountain by Marcel Duchamp
$1,762,500

My Bed by Tracey Emins
$3.77 millionWhat are people’s reasons for loving Modern Art?What are people’s reasons for loving Modern Art?What are people’s reasons for loving Modern Art?What are people’s reasons for loving Modern Art?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• This type of art leaves more open to interpretation and imagination than traditional art forms do. If you have the imagination to utilize that open-endedness and give it your own meaning, then you might like it. If you lack that level of imagination, then you might find it frustrating instead. However you don’t have to like it to appreciate it. That’s why art appreciation is taught in schools — to help people understand what they might not be able to imagine on their own. They’re interesting classes. Definitely broadened my own views, at least. Have you tried enrolling in one before? It’s almost impossible to finish a course without discovering at least a couple of pieces that tickle your fancy. You might surprise yourself!

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• Honestly I stay away from the so called "modern art"... to me it looks like a chimpanzee having a seizure painted it... I perfer the classic art. It actually showed skill, emotion, sense of mentality...
    Now days you take a paint can and dump it on a bed sheet and its somehow transformed into a 20 million dollar piece of art...

2|0
    0|0
  • Modern art? You mean like Picasso? Oh, my bad, you mean those pieces of shit. Yeah, I can see the appeal in modern _art_ but not … that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Modern art is an excuse to create crappy art and be told it's good.
    It's the same thing with a lot of modern music or movies... there is no craftsmanship, just busting out crap that sells.

0|0
    1|0
  • All art is different. I think what people mean by "modern art" is modern abstract art. I love abstract paintings but plenty of modern art isn't abstract.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Modern art" is very vague and broad. But if you mean what most people usually mean by it then I'd say that it's pretentious carbage and people just wnt to look sophisticated...

0|0
    0|0
  • Search for "How the fine art market is a scam" on YouTube.

0|0
    0|0
  • Can I put a few colors on a page and get $75.1m?

0|1
    0|0
    • I wish it was that easy lol. I’m sure if you had connections in the art world, it could be possible.

• Yeah the price probably has more to do with the name behind it than the actual piece of art

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

0|0
    0|0
  • Lack of knowledge about art and money show-off.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• I'unno, but tacking an Ikea rug to a wall ain't deep I don't care if it smothered your grandma it's not my fucking problem and I can buy it for $10 at meatball land.

The only form of art I'm willing to defend is dada because that's very similar to a lot of the internet's humor now. Dadaism starting spreading after WWI and this is why dada art was the way it was. It made no sense. the artists who made dada lived in a world in which nothing made sense - in which conventional logic led to the senselessness of a world war. so, making art that made no sense, making ANTI-art that rejected the conventions that brought about that atrocity in the first place - it made total sense. (if that makes any sense.)

There's not much of a gap between the idea of signing a urinal (the second picture) or attaching a bunch of tacks to the bottom of an iron, rendering it useless and bath bomb memes. Put a fucking MacBook in the bath it's meaningless now. Nobody fucking cares anymore. You want something funny? You want a punchline? Gun. That’s your punchline.

A lot of meme culture is built on absurdist humor mainly by disillusioned millienials. from a US perspective, there’s plenty to be disillusioned about. growing up in a constant state of questionably justified war, income inequality, an economic recession caused by the actions of a handful of wealthy fucks who didn’t even get properly punished, growing awareness of police brutality, being called lazy and self-absorbed by the generations that gave us these problems in the first place… I can’t help but think that these factors (and more) produce a similar mindset to the one that precipitated the first dada movement. Dada was that era's shitposting.

For a better example, look at this: 78.media.tumblr.com/.../...jr68YI5X1qklmiw_540.jpg
    As compared to this: 78.media.tumblr.com/.../...jr6yJQIX1qklmiw_540.png

1|0
    0|0
  • The urinal in the second pic is truly my favorite piece of modern art. A judge on an art panel put it in the competition and signed it as “r mutt” and then studied how the women studied its shape and form since they had no idea what it was and the men just thought of it as symbolizing piss. Duchamps point here was that others cannot judge weather a piece is art other than the artist.

0|0
    0|0
  • lol yeah im an artist and hate most modern art, except exhibitions that have some meaning, a beautful narrative or leave me emotionally inept.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think "modern art" is a too broad term. There's so many completely different types of modern art.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think whyhellothar put it best, but I'll add my two pense,
    Its about breaking boundaries and thinking creativity. Marcel Duchamp's urinal is a mockery of what you're complaining against.
    Modern art is about the thought behind it. Its about breaking rules and giving everyone the freedom to create art. If you look at these modern artists a lot of them do have formal training and technical skill. I can't think of any exact examples but if you look up Duchamp or Rothcoe you'll in all likely hood be able to learn a bit about their art before modern art.
    The bottom line to me is that it hadn't been done before so it had to be done. I think theta how most weird looking art movements are, there is a method to he madness lol

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes