Why do some people tend to hate strong female characters?

I’ve noticed a trend. People tend to hate female characters with traits like sarcasm, strength, and independence. Even though they’re funny as hell they’re still considered bitches by lots of people.

Examples Robin from How I met Your Mother, Chelsea from Two and a Half Men and Skyler from Breaking Bad.

Personally I loved their attitude. Strong and intelligent. I don't know why LOTS of people hated them.

Have people not modernized their way of thinking?

735

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Only a weak person would feel threatened by a strong female character. A human being should be defined by his actions not gender.

• Yessssssss

• @Autumnt : no, people may define others by their actions.

• See, this is the difference between independence and autonomy.

Or in the words of Churchill:

"The world looks with some awe upon a man who appears unconcernedly indifferent to home, money, comfort, rank, or even power and fame. The world feels not without a certain apprehension, that here is some one outside its jurisdiction; someone before whom its allurements may be spread in vain; some one strangely enfranchised, untamed, untrammelled by convention, moving independent of the ordinary currents of human action."