Is IQ irrelevant?

I like to think of myself as a moderately-sharp cookie but then I get 99 (not online) on a fairly legit test that's bloody under average which means basically retarded.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • Sometimes
    Vote B
  • No
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I genuinely think they fucked up the marking though, will get a new one and it'll probably be like 130-160
Did the test again got 990, they forgot to carry the one, still not happy tbh.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If the IQ would be the only measure of intelligence, a lot of people would be dumb.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Hi.

I have had my IQ tested when I was in my late teens. The result was that I had an IQ of 152 on the Cattell III B. If you are not familiar with this test it is one of the few papers accepted as an industry standard for testing ones IQ. Mensa enrolment would see you achieve a high percentile on one of these papers.

What does this mean for me?

Not much. It means I am capable of critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, analysis, linguistics and a lot of other little nuances that sound more important than they are.

Retarded as you put it, would be in the low 70 mark. You are basically a potato pretending to be a human at this point.

You say your score is 99 which means for something like 70-80% of the people on the planet is a fairly strong average amongst the populace.

Where you are going wrong here is assuming the number defines your capability to do something that would be considered genius. . . any one is capable of this, except potatoes.

Don't let this number define who you are.

I am in my opinion, a giant idiot a lot of the time. That doesn't stop me from always just doing what I feel is the right thing to do and continually pushing for excellence in the things I do, be it driving, sculpting, research, education or just like being super lazy (I excel the most in being lazy, watching Netflix and eating chocolate).

I hope this helps.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't care about global average my score is lower than more than 50% of people in my country

• But on a global scale I would assume your score is above average. Seen as how with a larger cross section of people to compare there will be more people who are closer to having a very low IQ.

If not this, then what do you intend to do to placate your posed question? What outcome/ response would benefit you the most here?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

What Guys Said 22

• Let’s put it this way... I have worked with lots of smart people at leading companies & none of them ever bragged about IQ scores. Nobody will ever give you a job because you have a high IQ score either. If anything they will use it to weed people with high scores out of jobs that would be too boring. So don’t worry about it.

0|1
    0|0
  • People with an IQ of less than 100 need to gtfo to Africa (low IQ continent)

1|2
    0|1
  • Well IQ actually correlates to what you have the ability to comprehend and utilize. At certain IQs, people are capable of different things. You need an IQ of at least 5 to cry in pain.
    But overall IQ isn't irrelevant, but it just isn't thought of as a measuring point for laymen.

0|0
    0|0
    • What can you comprehend and utilise past 100 IQ that I apparently can't.

• There are studies for it online that you have the ability to access. I don't know all of the particular differences, but obviously there are some, otherwise why would IQ have ever been measured?

• I think, it is partly relevant. But personality, ethics, etc. also have a say. I guess, you also know about EQ.
    One test only says little. I did a few and some were quite off (towards the high side).
    In my eyes it is wrong to assume that i. e. 110 is 'better' than 90. 100 is an overall reference average, and as far as I know the result calculation for serious tests is being updated regularly.
    when you score 99, this says that you are perfectly normal. Isn't that a compliment?

0|0
    0|0
  • 1 point under average is not retarded it's normal most people are.

0|1
    0|0
    • Well it's above average in the US, they will treat me as there god. It's actually the average in Sweden.

• You don't need a high IQ to do most jobs. Equally a high IQ doesn't guarantee you success in a given role. Given that, it's irrelevant for most purposes. You could use it as a guide for streaming in schools, or as a qualifier for MENSA, but not much else.

0|0
    0|0
  • there's many kinds of intelligences, and iq is just abouz practicing, then u get higher scores.. so it doesn't pretty much determine anything, just tht u can do the shit better than others without practicing..

0|0
    0|0
  • IQ only measures logic and if you can plan ahead etc. I recently studied about intelligence in my university class, Psychology has not yet agreed what counts as intelligence and there are many different theories what should and should not be included. What they do know is that the current IQ tests (forgot the names) can predict how well someone does in school and that several tests gets similar results. Meaning they are valid.

Personally I strongly believe that you as a person can develop your IQ through specifically challenging what IQ tests. That's also why I think that those that have a work that requires a special thinking also has higher IQ.

IQ does not mean much in this world though and like Stephen Hawking said "Those that boast about their IQ are only losers. "

A side note, internet tests aren't very reliable. You can test yourself at Mensa or other orgs.

0|0
    0|0
  • The average is 100. And no I don't think it's actually a good representation of our intelligence. Different people are brilliant at different types of things.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've scored 146 on two different online tests and the only reason I think it's at least somewhat credible is because I scored it twice.

0|0
    0|0
  • IQ as a measure of general intelligence is very useful, yes. However, it is not the only way to determine intelligence and it does change over time, meaning that it isn't the be-all-end-all of intelligence.
    Nonetheless, IQ has great predictive (not determinative) powers in the social sciences, meaning that whatever it measures actually is a thing. Furthermore, 99 isn't retarded but pretty much average (IIRC then it's μ = 100, σ = 15) so you're well within the normal range of 85-115. It means you'll probably never major in mathematics or particle physics but it doesn't mean you're stupid per se.

0|0
    0|0
    • I WILL MAJOR IN PARTICLE PHYSICS JUST YOU WATCH

• Have fun. Always great to. Be ambitious. You'll by then have achieved more than many persons ever will.

• Not really. Unless it's so low that you're actually mentally disabled. But personally I don't think that IQ is necessarily an accurate method of determining intelligence.

0|0
    0|0
  • if u had 990 iq u should be able toove stiff with ur mind a iq of 200 is considered really impressive Einsteins and Stephen Hawking was only 160

0|0
    0|0
  • Think of a mage character in Skyrim.

Just because they have a Restoration skill of 27, does that mean they suck at magic?

0|0
    0|0
  • You are not retarded, you are in the average and intelligence isn't everything, for example, my friend is a math genius but is morbidly lazy and she dropped of college cuz of that and even tho she's very intelligent it didn't helped her and now she works as a fcking waiter. Good habits are much more important. We like to think of ourselves as smarter and special than we actually are and getting such results can be devastating but 99 is sufficient enough to succed in somethinf you like if you invest your time will and love into it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I think the IQ test was faulty
    I mean how could you manage to get even 99?

0|0
    0|0
  • I would like to take a test like that myself one day

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|1
    0|0
  • My IQ is 125. Take that Alt right fucks!

0|0
    0|0
  • My IQ is 167

0|0
    0|0
  • I am the opposite, I tested 224 and I don't feel that smart.

0|0
    0|0
  • Having a low IQ in the US is a status symbol

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes