What is your opinion on the lack of LGBT characters in Harry Potter?

In Harry Potter, rather in book or movie, there is little or no representation of LGBT. While I see how gay fans can be upset about it, I do think they are a bit out of focus about the whole ordeal.
I think Rowling just never thought about the whole LGBT world while writing the series. The books are in Harry's point of view and that view only goes to other characters very little. So it is possible that Harry never mentioned LGBT characters because of his ordeal with Voldemort. Another consideration is that Harry Potter started at school at eleven, an age where kids don't have interest in physical relationships, in 2nd year he is still too young and it never crosses his mind. From 3rd year and upwards, Harry only starts to notice girls in his 4th year onward, so he never put in any thought in the gay community like most straight kids do.
What do think of the lack of LGBT representation in Harry Potter?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't like the idea of criticizing books or movies based on the race, gender, or sexual orientation of their characters. I am totally for LGBT rights, but that doesn't mean there has to be a gay person in every book.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I love how there are much greater issues that could be addressed but these SJWs won't budge from the topic of faggotry

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• The greatest character in the book was gay.

0|1
    0|0
    • I know right? But there fans still not happy about it.

• Good thing fans don't control the writing. LGBTQ is great, but it doesn't have to be represented everywhere. I don't think writers should feel forced to include it- though Rowling clearly did, in a really wonderful way.

• I feel the same way, writers shouldn't be forced to represent everything.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't give a fuck if there are no LGBT characters. There's enough gay fanfiction for that. I don't understand why everyone makes a fuss about it. HOW DO THOSE GUYS EVEN KNOW THAT NONE OF THE CHARACTERS ARE GAY OFF-SCREEN?

0|2
    0|0
  • I frankly don't care whether characters are LGBT or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • A good thing...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes