What's your music creation software of choice?

12

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 2

• For writing music, I use Guitar Pro 6. It helps me compose my thoughts and get a layout. I tend to write metal/rock, so it is extra convenient. If I’m doing a classical kind of piece, I may write it in GP6 or I may just straight up compose it right in Logic.

Assuming it’s not orchestral though, I’ll upload an exported midi from my GP6 file to Logic Pro X. Logic Pro is my DAW of choice. Granted, I also use quite a bit of third party plugins (i. e. waves, freeware), so there isn’t a ton that I’m actually using DAW features with. Main thing I use it for is flex editing, easy midi presets before I tweak things, and arranging my tracks. I use BFD3 for the drums (I don’t have an acoustic set on standby), I record the guitars/bass myself, and I find a singer to finish it off.

I’ve used Reaper in the past, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it. I didn’t particularly like the layout of everything or how the grid in it— even after I used it. I did like the graphical EQ plugin though. I’ve used Pro Tools in the past as well. I think Pro Tools works great, but since I learned things on Logic Pro, Logic Pro is simply more convenient for me. I think both Pro Tools and Logic would work for what I’m looking for.

I mean, I haven’t felt held back or anything from my software and I know where mostly everything is, so I’m cool with it.

• Cubase 9.5 pro