Why is there such a strong trend for retro entertainment (80s, 90s, early 2000s) nowadays with youth? Are modern music, film & video games that bad?

This is a trend I have noticed with teens and early 20s. Music, film (TV, movies) & video games from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s, are rising high in popularity with that age group... and there is more disdain and dislike for modern-day music, film (TV, movies) & video games.

Why do you think this trend is happening? Use as much detail and personal testimony in your answer as you wish. 👍

1630

Most Helpful Girls

• I think people just enjoy nostalgia. Things that are in the past often seem more appealing than when they were contemporary.

• How is a 16 year old teen, born in 2001-2002,

going to feel nostalgia from 90s music?

• The question is about people who didn't grow up in that era, listening to retro music

• I know what you meant. But people can feel nostalgic about a time they never even experienced. And often the fact that they never experienced it themselves makes it easier to romantisize those times. A lot of people wish they lived in the 60s or 20s or whatever because they love the trends from those periods, while ignoring all the bad things from then that we don't have to deal with anymore (like racial segregation, for instance). There are different names for it, like nostalgia by proxy, fauxstalgia, or no-stalgia.

• It happens every generation. The people around my age when we were younger was all about 80s culture. Now the young kids who weren't alive for the 90s are doing what we did but us bitter 90s adults with shitty world prospects look back at our childhoods in the 90s as a simpler time. Which it was, it was before the 2008 recession, constant islamophobia of the post 9-11 world, lack of jobs and increases in people being forced to take out loans they couldn't ever pay off to get into the colleges we'd always been told we have to go to the graduating in debt with no jobs available because the people who told us to go to college have been in those same fucking jobs since they were in their 20s/30s/40s so then most people have to take shitty minimum wage temporary jobs and get shamed for having them by the same people demanding the services of those jobs.

Bitter cycle

Most Helpful Guys

• Because things back then were less confined by political correctness and things like originality and creativity were at their peak, especially in the 80's.

Think about all the Saturday Morning Cartoons, all the toys, shows, music, movies, etc.

Now look at today and how almost every blockbuster/Hollywood movie being released is a remake or reboot of what already existed.

The amount of originality today compared to back then is sorely lacking.

As for music, at work my co-workers listen to the current top chart pop crap out there and it's all the same. From one hand or artist to the next, they're all so similar in that it's difficult to know you're listening to different artists from one song to the next.

There are of course exceptions to every rule. There are some good movies and songs that come out from time to time, but compared to how many were being pumped out in the 80's and 90's per year... Much of that has become classics and timeless.

These days the greater majority of content and entertainment is forgettable.

• A lot of the "retro trend" is for things that are much more light-hearted or upbeat than a lot of the ultra-realistic but much darker-toned entertainment of today. I don't think that's an accident.

I'm a mobile DJ, and it's been harder and harder to have parties and dances with modern music, because less and less of it is upbeat - SO much of modern music is ultra-ghetto HipHop (or heavily influenced by it) that's very negative and depressing, along with frequently being offensive and inappropriate. There's just not much joy in it, and so, when people want to have fun and dance, I mostly have to play older music that IS actually upbeat and fun and up-tempo.

I think a lot of people long for those more-positive, happier, lighter feelings, and those retro movies, music, and video games give them those feelings.