Beyond scared straight: is it really helpful?

Has anyone ever watched the documentary beyond scared straight? If not, it’s basically depicts a behavioral program for teens and juveniles which give them a perspective of what it would be like in prison. After experiencing the program, the kids would (be expected to) change their behavior, and the methods that were used to do so are intimidation, implantation of fear, and also testimonies given by inmates and deputies of the correction. I honestly love this show, but now I actually wonder if these programs are truly beneficial, or can they be a waste of time, especially if a child doesn’t get anything from it. Any thoughts?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I was a juvenile delinquent who was arrested twice and almost sent to juvie.

never seen it but I imagine it would be beneficial for some kids, others not so much

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it can be very beneficial. I've seen them. I know the type of kids who should be in the program.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• It just crap they put together for tv. Plenty of kids actually go to jail, and come out the same way they went in. Why would just showing them jail work?

0|0
    0|0
  • do they experience real jail?

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmmm maybe I’ll take a look

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes