Why are men so butthurt about women playing Fortnite?

kotaku.com/fortnite-mobile-is-becoming-a-battle-of-the-sexes-1824109975

I find this absolutely hilarious. I don’t get why men are so salty about women playing fortnite. My female friends beat most of my male friends so I guess that’s why. Also, if you read the article, it’s pretty stupid how men ignore their girlfriends when they play Fortnite, but then demand their attention when their girlfriends play Fortnite as well 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not sure the article was quite truthful about its sources. It very much cherry picked twitter posts that had negative connotations towards female gamers or one in which female gamers where saying the men where being dicks about women playing Fortnite.

The main stay of the gaming community world wide be it in PC, Console or Mobile do not care what gender is playing.

There are a large proportions of Males that will swoon, pay special attention too and harass female gamers because for them its a personal connection to their social world and therefore a chance as they see it to connect sexually with someone.

The problem with this (asides from it being disrespectful and super creepy) is that some women have used this to their advantage. Cue the initial image of a girl gamer, they are there for attention and not for the game. Fast toward this to things like Twitch streaming and you get priority treatment of female players who quite frankly don't play games and are tantamount to cam girls asking for donations whilst the face camera points are some rather interesting angled shots of them sat in a chair talking nonsense.

That is rather annoying to the larger majority of both men and women who are annoyed that women like that are undoing the equality factor the gaming community has sought for so long. It also serves to act as a bit of an echo chamber where those (m/f) who support the gamer girl with the chest and skirt cam will defend the concept and has spilt of this group of people from the main stay of gamers. Unfortunately much like many of the social issues being discussed right now many of the loudest voices are also the ones already in such an echo chamber and do not represent the wider audience. Which serves to piss off the larger demographic.

This is seen by many people who are more focused on small bite size info being fed to them via articles like the one linked end up developing the opinion that all girl gamers are like this and therefore a negative influence on something they view as their social outlet.

Ultimately, no one cares females are playing game. Its awesome to have more people to talk to about games, develop games for and entertain for but no, most people just don't care who is playing game like Fortnite on PC, console or mobile.

The only people it is important too is Epic games. Knowing why men and women play certain types of games more than the other half means they can develop more games that entertain all.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it’s because they’re not used to female gamers. I did read that article and I also find it quite funny, since most women I know play at least 1 video game on Xbox, PS4, or PC. It’s dumb to be so shocked about a female playing Fortnite in this day and age

1|1
    0|1
    • True sister. Same here, I can easily beat most of my male friends lol. I get more Victory Royals in 20 games than they do! Guess they can’t think practically

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 35

• I just dont enjoy the game. I dont care if other people play it though.. Its like 'Gaming fast-food'.. you eat that crap, it may tastes while you eat it, but after you're done, you're most likely unsatisfied. There is no substance to it. No story, no real handmade leveldesign, no atmosphere. Literal gaming fast food. If there was a gaming gordon ramsay, he would through this game back at the Game-Designer and call him an idiot sandwich.

0|0
    0|1
  • Men are the most happy when they see a girl playing a video game. Kotaku is obviously incorrect. Plus, why would anyone play Fortnite on their phones? That's got to suck.

0|3
    0|0
    • Most people I know don’t play Fortnite on their phones, me included

• Gaming is a playground for people to act more childish. They might be more suprised and irritated than mad, but it can sound that way.

These guys were probably just boys that can't handle a lose. You can't win every day right? So just childish behaviour at best.

0|0
    0|0
  • No idea, I've never heard of it - I'm a grown-up so I don't play those games.

0|1
    2|0
    • You can be a "grown-up" and still play games.

• Show All
    • I am grown-up you poopy-head.

• Lol. Please continue to make yourself look ridiculous. I’d love to sit and watch.

• Sounds like this is a problem for boys, not men.

I have no problem with this at all! We could squad up from time to time

1|0
    0|0
  • There's zero butthurt in that article. How could you possibly read that into the tweets posted? I don't know what's worse, the shitty article or your interpretation of it.

0|0
    2|0
  • Poor article in my opinion. Author had to work way too hard to make this any kind of story. Basic clickbait story trying to stir the pot.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lmao, that's hilarious. I'm a gamedev and let me quote "It's a fucking game bruh!"

1|0
    0|0
  • It might be because they finally find a girl that likes to play video games but then they realize girl plays fortnite and that is real turn off

0|0
    1|0
  • Probably cause theyre little boys and little boys find a way to attack anything they can as a group

1|0
    0|0
  • Lol this a stupid poll but here's my answer: I can care less about who plays fortnite all I care about is winning a game

0|1
    0|0
  • Fortnite is for men. Women always invading a man's domain

0|1
    3|1
  • I'd call them boys, rather than men.

1|2
    0|0
  • Id prolly fall for a girl who can beat me in league of legends

0|0
    0|0
    • So, most of the female population. Okay

• Show All
    • If you think women aren’t competitive you must live in some secluded area. Why do you think everyone’s asking why women are so competitive 😂

• Its about being competitive in online games. And how the general believe was. Has been

• Never heard of it... what is it about... they dont make good games anymore...

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know about that... maybe it's because they feel threatened? I've never played fortnite.

0|0
    0|0
  • What?

0|0
    1|0
    • What?

• Show All
    • Dunno? I guess you’re one of those very few who are men and intelligent at the same time

• That's much appreciated 🙂.

• Because you are talking about boys, not men.

1|0
    0|0
  • Who's night?

Dont spoil their night dear.. 😜😝

0|0
    1|0
  • Alpha male

0|0
    1|0
  • I don’t even know what fortnite is.

0|1
    2|2
  • Honestly this sounds like a hoax.

0|0
    1|0
  • Because this game is played by 15 years old.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never even heard of it, is the correct answer.

0|0
    1|0
  • They are mad that they are better probably

1|0
    0|0
  • What is fortnite

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't. I love gamer girls

0|0
    0|0
  • On mobile? mobile gaming isn't real gaming.

0|1
    0|0
  • i dont think we are lol

0|0
    0|0
  • #Fu*kFortnite we are PUBG squad.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 2

• I don't know. Guys at my school are assholes about it too. That's why I'm not playing. That and it's not my type of game.

0|0
    0|0
    • You’re actually letting other people have influence on your decisions?

• Show All
    • I'm really sensitive. I'd rather not get involved in conflict.

• I understand. But if you like something, you should learn how to not care about what people say. I never said it was hard but it’s not imposible either. It’s good advice - take it :)

• Don't listen to it. Just play what you want

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes