Switching from violin to cello?

I've been playing the violin for some three years now, but I've never been passionate about it. I've struggled with finding the right shoulder & chin rest and still suffer from pain in my neck and shoulder while playing for more than ten minutes straight.
Recently I've thought of trying out the cello, which has a more natural position and (in my opinion) a more beautiful sound. I also like the idea of having a bit more of a background/supportive role and less up-front/solo role in an ensemble.

However I'm wondering if taking up the cello is really a good idea. Does anyone have experience with switching? What are some challenges and / or advantages of cello?

02