Batman, is he a good hero?

I was having a debate with a friend about Batman. She loves Batman, but I think he is kind of weak. I think in order for a hero to be a good hero he has to kill the villains sometimes.
She thinks good people don’t kill, ever.
I also think keeping the villains with a kill switch around to do the dirty work and to have someone to blame things on if things go bad is a little sadistic...
So, is Batman a good hero?

18

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely. If you watch the good cartoons (The Animated Series, both Justice Leagues, Batman Beyond) you see that Batman/Bruce is actually the best when it comes to heart, and as a person. He doesn't kill because it'd be too easy to cross into that darkness-- by doing that, he'd betray his parents and everything he fights for. He saves the day without being corrupted, and that's what makes him a good hero. Superman has gone evil numerous times in various versions of stories n in different universes, and he's like a boy scout. Batman has a strong will power, a caring heart, and a keen intellect. Many of his villians are (sometimes) victims themselves, and just about all of them suffer from mental illness. Batman has tried to save them as well. In the Justice League cartoon, he almost sacrificed hinself to save the world numerous times with no hesitation--that's a good hero.

Most Helpful Girl

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWEmDFYWON8

All his villains constantly escape from prison (the ones who even wind up in prison anyway). I think after a mass murder escapes from prison/shitty asylum and goes on another killing spree, and then rinses and repeats that process, and it's clear no prison can hold them, it is the moral responsibility of anyone who can to kill that guy. And Batman can, and chooses instead of killing one guy, to let dozens or hundreds die.