Why is it seen at shameful to like old music?

I'm not talking about music like Michael Jackson since that is still accepted, but songs from eras like the 50s and 60s or earlier. Like yesterday, I was listening to Seasons in the Sun with Terry Jacks and had to justify myself to a coworker who asked why I was listening to "old music". It's fine if you don't like it, but why is it bad to listen to "old music"?

42

Most Helpful Girl

• The co-worker might have just asked out of curiosity. I love old music too and love listening to it sometimes. Every time someone asks me why, I just say that old is gold.

• Oh, yes, I never really let it bother me, I'm just asking why (especially young people) have the mentality that new music is always better.

• I used to be the same when I was a teenager. It's mainly because they think that old music is out of date and old fashioned. That's why some teens get embarrassed of someone who might be more old fashioned than they are. Later on they realize older music has a better quality and meaning. At least I realized that..

• Yeah, there are songs I like from all eras, everything from the 20s to modern times.

Most Helpful Guy

• I listen to old music too, dude.
    I listen to '09 liil Wayne. It brings back memories from when I was younger.
    Boy has time changed.