Why do non-black people think I’m weird for liking rock music as a black person while not seeing anything weird about liking rap music?

I don’t even care about the “black people made rock music” argument. I don’t listen to skin colors, I listen to music and rock music is more relatable to me most of the time. I’m not even sure how middle and upper class kids find any relation in most rap music. I don’t only listen to rock but it’s the top genre I listen to on a regular basis - generally interesting alternative music. I’m tired of people being surprised by my music taste (at concerts, at school, or etc) or looking upon me with disdain for it. I’m not surprised by anyone else’s tastes. It also makes it hard to find people with mutual tastes because people tend to assume I’m not into rock based on stereotypes. The older I get the more I recognize that I’m the weird one not stereotyping people I’ve just met and taking them as they are.

25

Most Helpful Guy

• Well as a punk rock and metal fan I can tell you it's predominantly a white culture. There are always those two black guys though at the show. More and more black people are getting into metal and I think it's awesome, the more metal the merrier.

• Just don’t make anyone feel weird about it. Black people are only 12% of America and there are definitely factors why people may not hear music beyond their immediate community, but with the Internet, people can broaden their horizons. Bless the internet for helping me find music beyond the top 40

• 14% actually.

Regardless, I've been in the music scene for years and have done security for several venues and local booking agencies. I don't care who you are, if you enjoy the music and don't hate mosh I don't have an issue with you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because it’s uncommon. I’m not black, I’m educated and work hard at school, but I like hip hop music.

• But everyone in the world is unique so why make people feel weird for being themselves?