Why do non-black people think I’m weird for liking rock music as a black person while not seeing anything weird about liking rap music?

I don’t even care about the “black people made rock music” argument. I don’t listen to skin colors, I listen to music and rock music is more relatable to me most of the time. I’m not even sure how middle and upper class kids find any relation in most rap music. I don’t only listen to rock but it’s the top genre I listen to on a regular basis - generally interesting alternative music. I’m tired of people being surprised by my music taste (at concerts, at school, or etc) or looking upon me with disdain for it. I’m not surprised by anyone else’s tastes. It also makes it hard to find people with mutual tastes because people tend to assume I’m not into rock based on stereotypes. The older I get the more I recognize that I’m the weird one not stereotyping people I’ve just met and taking them as they are.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well as a punk rock and metal fan I can tell you it's predominantly a white culture. There are always those two black guys though at the show. More and more black people are getting into metal and I think it's awesome, the more metal the merrier.

0|0
    0|0
    • Just don’t make anyone feel weird about it. Black people are only 12% of America and there are definitely factors why people may not hear music beyond their immediate community, but with the Internet, people can broaden their horizons. Bless the internet for helping me find music beyond the top 40

• 14% actually.

Regardless, I've been in the music scene for years and have done security for several venues and local booking agencies. I don't care who you are, if you enjoy the music and don't hate mosh I don't have an issue with you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because it’s uncommon. I’m not black, I’m educated and work hard at school, but I like hip hop music.

0|0
    0|0
    • But everyone in the world is unique so why make people feel weird for being themselves?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• If people listened to my Spotify playlist they'd think I was born in every country as every gender. Music is something made to be enjoyed it doesn't matter who you are or where you come from; turn it up! 🙄

0|0
    0|0
  • I dunno, it's really uncommon. I can't think of a single black rocker out there.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you flip it around, some blacks folks (not often) would be like u r white n a big fan of rap, but come around and say ofc u do, u like our culture, our swag n shit take part of it n keep it for yourselves like vulture culturing or see it as flattery/admiration lol. I think it is just a cultural anomaly. On the other hand, whites have dominated for so long so it is a bit unusual to them when you do see blacks in their shit, I've seen a few black country singers accepted by them... i think it cuts deeper to understand the root of it, but yo you are free to listen n enjoy whatever da f*** u like man... younger generation and evolution changing shit anyway... who is who even these days? lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • My favorite music is rock and second fav is rap, so you got me on your side

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• I only listen Rock music I’m on your side too🤘🏻

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes