Can you NAME a PAINTER (by heart) excluding da Vinci, Raphael, Rubens and Rembrandt, Picasso, van Gogh and Frida Kahlo?

The more you name the more I like you BUT no cheating with Google etc.

People are less and less interested in classical visual arts (2D).
That is my 'research' so please be honest and only serious answers. Thank you :)

Can you NAME a PAINTER (by heart) excluding da Vinci, Raphael, Rubens and Rembrandt, Picasso, van Gogh and Frida Kahlo?

0|3

Most Helpful Guys

• Paul Cézanne. Easy. Local old famous one ;). Van Gogh was not so far from here ;p.
    Monet ! Manet ! Renoir ! Gaugin ! Matisse ! Warhol ! Dali ! And voilà finished by heart ! Some others come writing this but time to stop xD.

2|0
    0|0
    • mmmmmmm ;) Impressionsts... and French ;)

• Show All
    • as always no worries i know it ;) 😋

• ok then ;)

• Klimt Kandinsky Pollock Picasso Kahlo Rivera Diebenkorn Johns Banksy Caravaggio Michaelangelo DaVinci Rembrandt Gaugin O'Keefe Vandermeer Pizarro Warhol Rodin Mondrian Calder Seurat Escher Miró Dürer Modigliani Krasner Rousseau

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I can name a few Finnish ones, but it probably doesn't count, since no one knows them outside of Finland (but for example Eero Järnefelt, Helene Schjerfbeck and Hugo Simberg). But I can name Salvador Dali, Edvard Munch, Michelangelo and Johannes Vermeer. But I'm not interested in arts, I just paid attention in the art history class and those are still kinda general knowledge.

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh, I didn't know these Finnish ones, have to look them up. Thanks :)
      Ok, I see your point.

• Masashi Kisimoto
    2D artist for Naruto.

Lol a LOT, BILLIONS of people love 2D art... anime & manga are 2D and gross billions of dollars a month across the globe.

Not to mention other non manga animated series.

Frida and all them are old school 2D artists, not the only 2D visual art in the world.

That bias always irritated me in art class, as if Allen Neuwirth (the artist for Courage the Cowardly Dog,) is less than Van Gogh.

I made this point as my art teach was ranting about how our generation lacks in appreciating "real" art as one girl just received a visual 2D arts reward for her beautiful manga artistry that took 1st place over some renaissance art style pictures.

We are passed Mona Lisa guys, get your panties out your butt hole.

0|0
    0|0
    • I say its the era that makes a lack of interest in classical art. Usually art depicts the time and era, we have a different perception of beauty, events and life these days that classics dont really suit anymore in my opinion.

So Id say your hypothesis on that point is totally correct

• I was asking about Painting (painterly values like a flow of the brush, textures, etc) and manga and anima are more drawing-like techniques for me.

Can't google Allen Neuwirth... and can't refer to...

I agree with your teacher... your generation is familiar with 'your generation art - manga and stuff'.

• Yes... I agree.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 39

• How do you usually view art. On the internet? Do you like zoom in and such? What is it about a painting that gives you emotion? I’m just asking cuz I don’t know shit about art.

1|0
    0|0
    • 1. In reality, museums, my studio ;), other folks. If no other option, yes - Internet, books
      2. No usually I don't have to zoom in... Have good eye sight ;)... Only if the work is very detailed and it intrigues me.
      3. It's esthetics or theme
      Great color palette or skills of the painter. It differs totally on each painting :)

• I watched the movie Mulan Rouge the other day, the one with Zsa Zsa Gabor but can't remember the name of the painter in the movie from my mind, I know he was an aristocrat and also there is a place in France with his name. I wonder do you know about this painter?

1|0
    0|0
    • Perhaps Toulouse Lautrec? Very short in hight?

• Show All
    • Ok, so Chagall also crossed my mind now

• Yes, I love Bosch for his detail and Matisse for colors and Chagall for the mystical atmosphere :)
      My favorites for now are David Hockney and Fiona Rae

• Gustav Klimt and Alfons Mucha are my favorites, I also remember Seurat, Signac and de Toulouse-Lautrec, only because I liked the Art Nouveau period.
    I studied art and history of art, so I should probably remember a lot more.
    But, really, I didn't really care much about the past artists.

1|0
    0|0
  • Frankie Boyle though he uses words. David Mitchell though words again. That freak Jackson Pollock. The guy I met in Romania whose paintings are the most talented I know and they give me ASMR: tinglimg pleasure, everytime I look at them. At his exhibition, his 3 painting out of 100s were the onky that mesmerized me and all 3 gave me ASMR. I was able to tell him they were the best. He said they are my only 3 in the room.

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you remember his name?

• Show All
    • Yours are also predictable. I have many layers. I will show you the artist later if you work out what and how I want you to do something without any help from my part.

• Of course they are, as I am natural and don't pretend to be smarter than I am.

Fine :) finally something interesting ;)

• Salvador Dali (may spell wrong), Vasnetsov, Aivazovsky, Adolph lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Caravaggio, Van Eyck, JMW Turner, El Greco, Manet, Monet, Seurat, Velazquez, Gauguin, Bruegel the Elder, Hans Holbein the Younger, etc. I could really go on for ever I love visiting art museums

1|0
    0|0
    • Wow! Lovely :)
      Which one is your favorite?
      Mine: V&A in London

• I didn’t get a chance to go the V&A or the National Gallery when I was in London last. My favourites right now are the Art Institute of Chicago, the Louvre, and the Prado

• I have only been to Metropolitan...
      But you HAVE to go to London museums next time ;)

• There are a few that I like, excluding those you've mentioned: Sámal Joensen-Mikines, Salvador Dali, Simeon Marcus Larson... it's typical of me, I can't think of that many, when I've been asked.

1|0
    0|0
  • This time im an artist too... but my pics are not selled for millions... big ones for a few thousand (but I work on them 6-10months)...

1|0
    0|0
    • Ok, I see, so I should add your name to the list? 😉

• Show All
    • ok, good luck :)

• Well the names that I know are already on list and sorry I have never take any interest in painting 😔

1|0
    0|0
  • Dali, Malevitsj, Mondriaan, Munch, Bosch, Cuyp, Vermeer

2|0
    0|0
  • Bob Ross! 😊🎨 Such a sweet, gentle man. His show was fun and relaxing.

1|0
    0|0
  • Matt Lamb, but that's because he came to my school once

1|0
    0|0
  • Ellsworth kelly, this one made me confused with his arts, too bad he's already passed away

1|0
    0|0
  • I have a couple of pieces from Yacoov Agam. He is known for kinetic art.

1|0
    0|0
  • Michelangelo, Gauguin, Munch, Monet, Cezanne and Matisse.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tbh, I don't know any one besides those Great people listed in the description.
    Sorry

1|0
    0|0
  • Botticelli, Fra Lippo Lippi

1|0
    0|0
  • Len Burke... he painted my house last year.

1|1
    0|0
  • Wal-Mart, K Mart, Kohls

1|0
    0|0
  • Zac Nash

1|0
    0|0
  • Napoleon Bonaparte

1|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Well, you're kind of an ignorant of the European history ;)
      I'm not a great expert of history but such names as Gandhi or Mandela are obvious to me.

• Neither am I lol. I don't even remember the dates of my parents birthdays.
      Gandhi and Mandela don't sound like good names for painters.

• Henri Matisse

1|0
    0|0
  • Juan luna

1|0
    0|0
  • Dali... Monet...

1|0
    0|0
  • Weiq , Karl kopinski

1|0
    0|0
  • Manet, Monnet, Pizarro, Matisse, Michaelangelo

1|0
    0|0
  • Bob Ross

2|3
    0|0
  • Kyffin Williams (you may not have heard of him)

1|0
    0|0
  • Roy Liechtenstein

1|0
    0|0
  • Alex grey

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 21

• Monet, Edvard Munch

1|0
    0|0
  • For 2D literally the only artist I care much about is Keith Haring. Franz Marc's art looks nice but he's like "uh it represents the futility of industrialization" or some shit and like... you paint horses... you're not that deep.

For 3D I really like Dada as a movement (it's the only modern art I can stand) and Felix Gonzalez-Torres

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I love Haring :)
      Marc is ok for me, lovely colours and the rebel!

• Parmigiano (I remember that because we had a multiple choice test in art class and one of the answers was Parmesan)

I can't think of many others that are historical. From 1900s though I know a bunch. (not sure if they count but I'll list some)
    Group of Seven painters: AY Jackson, Johnson, Lawren Harris (my favourite painter!), Arthur Lismer, Varley, JEH McDonald, Carmichael.
    William Kurelek
    Um... Jackson Pollock?

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks a lot. I did not know the group of 7.

• Show All
    • Yes agree 👍

• Oh , now I see him - Harris- verrry good! Reminds me of Lempicka... do you know her?

• Tulouse Lautrec, Egon Schiele, Monet, Manet, Gustav Klimt, Cezanne, Chagall, Matisse, Miró, Gaugin, Seurat, Mary Cassat, Georgia O'Keefe, Carlos Alonso, Antonio Berni, Paul Klee, etc

1|0
    0|0
  • My absolute favorite painter , Friedrich. I can identify in each of his paintings. Love them all but "la mer de nuages" is simply magical and the most meaningful to me.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I know what you mean... For me: the sense of loneliness is present in any of them.

• Klimt, Hundertwasser, Brueghel, Rembrandt, Monet.

All I could think of without cheating.

1|0
    1|0
  • E. Munch, Dante, Monet, Renoir, Michelangelo, Raphael, G. Klimt, Dali... 🤔

2|0
    0|0
  • John Constable
    J M W Turner.

2|0
    0|0
    • I forgot J S Lowry (the matchstick people painter).

• Show All
    • @MonaLee Oh dear, is it really that much of a giveaway? lol

• I'm not sure, what you mean...
      Obviously, they are British names... but it's more likely the citizen knows them ;)

• BOB ROSS MY DUDE

1|0
    0|0
    • Ohhh... I'm not sure about him (love his hairstyle btw)... he is too much automotic for me...

• Show All
    • He's very relaxing. And in my case, funny

• Yeah... but his art... so kitschy ;)

• Velásquez, Boticelli, Miró, Dalí,

1|0
    0|0
  • M. F. Hussain

1|0
    0|0
  • Rogier van der Weyden, Diego Rivera, Jan van Eyck

1|0
    0|0
  • Degas

1|0
    0|0
  • Salvador Dalí

1|0
    0|0
  • Goya

1|0
    0|0
  • Andy Warhol

1|0
    0|0
  • bob ross

1|0
    0|0
  • My friend Gabby 😂😅😢

0|0
    0|0
  • Amiet, Botticelli, Brunelleschi, Botero, Cezanne, Degas, Giotto, Hodler, Klimt, Lorenzetti, Monet, Manet, Matisse, Munch, Renoir, Signac, Toulouse-Lautrec, Vermeer, Warhol

1|0
    0|0
    • Wow! Amazing... even in an alphabetical order! Thanks :)

• Claude Monet
    I did know the name off the top of my head and that he painted haystacks and waterlilies, and I feel like I remember something about him doing it at different times of day? I don't know. 😭

1|0
    0|0
  • No, i know only the ones you mentioned

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes