What can you tell about a person from the music they listen to?

2095

Most Helpful Guys

• I think you can tell their level of conformity and how impressionable they are, based on how mainstream & popular the music is marketed to their age group and gender. For example, if a girl is listening to music she discovered on her own, and unique to her, and dismisses what has been marketed to her, then I would have the impression she is a non-conformist, and less likely to go with what is expected of her, she likely has more boundaries, more definitive direction in her life, and more creative than a girl who says “I like a little of everything”

• It’s pretty hard to say anything about a person’s personality based on their music. I’ve met metalheads that were absolutely wild, and I’ve met more reserved metalheads (with myself falling into that category). My pop friends have all sorts of different personality traits too.

I think the issue is that we all have different things we like in music that influence our music taste separate from personality. For instance, I tend to pay more attention to the instruments more than vocals (probably because I play guitar/drums) and gravitate more towards rock/metal. My sister listens to vocals predominantly and listens to theater soundtracks. (She can’t stand my music lol). Others listen to music for the heaviness, and others because it happens to be trending at the time.

These individual differences also blur multiple types of people in the same genres.

—-

Apart from personality though, you can *sometimes* determine mood. For instance, if someone continuously listens to Goo Goo Doll ballads and has Forever Young (by Alphaville) on repeat, there is a higher chance they are crushing on someone. It’s not exlusive however. Goo Goo Dolls just has some great ballads. I still listen to them, and I don’t need to be crushing on someone either lol

Likewise, I listen to some more emotional sides of metal. I’m not depressed though. I just like the sound.

I would instead say that it is more accurate to base someone’s music choice based off their personality/characteristics. Even then, guesses would be horribly off, but I imagine it’s more likely to be right than guessing vice versa.

Most Helpful Girls

• I’m polarised on this.

Music shapes some people and others not at all.

I’ve met metal heads who dress that way, act that way, drink that way. I’ve met metal heads you could never tell.

The comparison continues for all genres.

But my experience? I’m a musician and I appreciate most types of music. My grandmother was a professional pianist in the war. My dad (her son) however is tone deaf and completely uninterested in music. Does this make him less of a person? Of course not. It’s just something he doesn’t connect with.

My point is music can shape us but music is not not definitive for everyone. My dad is a successful man just like my grandmother was a successful woman. Because someone relates to a sound or genre doesn’t mean you can’t like them, it’s a persons attitude that matters.

• I agree with what you said. I have a friend super into metal who can’t get a job at the moment almost solely because he refuses to cut his long hair and adhere to whatever company’s policy. He acts, drinks, and lives as you would expect a metalhead to live and is dead set on keeping that lifestyle.

On the flipside, I have friends, where one would never guess they were into metal unless he/she was explicitly told.

• Quite a bit about their style, fashion, influences & possibly places they may travel to, or drugs they may be more likely to try.

For example, if you met a psytrance lover, even if they did not have dreads or wear hareems, they would know other people with those styles & be more open to them. They would also quite possibly have an interest in visiting Goa.
    Whereas a house music lover, is far more trimmed & styled. You could have conversations about the Ibiza music scene & if they've ever been.