What can you tell about a person from the music they listen to?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think you can tell their level of conformity and how impressionable they are, based on how mainstream & popular the music is marketed to their age group and gender. For example, if a girl is listening to music she discovered on her own, and unique to her, and dismisses what has been marketed to her, then I would have the impression she is a non-conformist, and less likely to go with what is expected of her, she likely has more boundaries, more definitive direction in her life, and more creative than a girl who says “I like a little of everything”

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s pretty hard to say anything about a person’s personality based on their music. I’ve met metalheads that were absolutely wild, and I’ve met more reserved metalheads (with myself falling into that category). My pop friends have all sorts of different personality traits too.

I think the issue is that we all have different things we like in music that influence our music taste separate from personality. For instance, I tend to pay more attention to the instruments more than vocals (probably because I play guitar/drums) and gravitate more towards rock/metal. My sister listens to vocals predominantly and listens to theater soundtracks. (She can’t stand my music lol). Others listen to music for the heaviness, and others because it happens to be trending at the time.

These individual differences also blur multiple types of people in the same genres.

—-

Apart from personality though, you can *sometimes* determine mood. For instance, if someone continuously listens to Goo Goo Doll ballads and has Forever Young (by Alphaville) on repeat, there is a higher chance they are crushing on someone. It’s not exlusive however. Goo Goo Dolls just has some great ballads. I still listen to them, and I don’t need to be crushing on someone either lol

Likewise, I listen to some more emotional sides of metal. I’m not depressed though. I just like the sound.

I would instead say that it is more accurate to base someone’s music choice based off their personality/characteristics. Even then, guesses would be horribly off, but I imagine it’s more likely to be right than guessing vice versa.

2|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I’m polarised on this.

Music shapes some people and others not at all.

I’ve met metal heads who dress that way, act that way, drink that way. I’ve met metal heads you could never tell.

The comparison continues for all genres.

But my experience? I’m a musician and I appreciate most types of music. My grandmother was a professional pianist in the war. My dad (her son) however is tone deaf and completely uninterested in music. Does this make him less of a person? Of course not. It’s just something he doesn’t connect with.

My point is music can shape us but music is not not definitive for everyone. My dad is a successful man just like my grandmother was a successful woman. Because someone relates to a sound or genre doesn’t mean you can’t like them, it’s a persons attitude that matters.

1|1
    0|0
    • I agree with what you said. I have a friend super into metal who can’t get a job at the moment almost solely because he refuses to cut his long hair and adhere to whatever company’s policy. He acts, drinks, and lives as you would expect a metalhead to live and is dead set on keeping that lifestyle.

On the flipside, I have friends, where one would never guess they were into metal unless he/she was explicitly told.

• Quite a bit about their style, fashion, influences & possibly places they may travel to, or drugs they may be more likely to try.

For example, if you met a psytrance lover, even if they did not have dreads or wear hareems, they would know other people with those styles & be more open to them. They would also quite possibly have an interest in visiting Goa.
    Whereas a house music lover, is far more trimmed & styled. You could have conversations about the Ibiza music scene & if they've ever been.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 93

• Nothing. You can only prejudice and that is bad. For example: in my experience people who listen to metal think that it is the only and last "real" music and will bash anyone who listens to anything else. Aaand you see, it is mean and there is no reason for it to be true

0|0
    0|0
  • Music is a whole language of its own and depending on what a person listens to you will have an idea of the stuff going on in their head some people like music with an upbeat and others like mellow music for relaxing but the lyrics to the songs that listen to says a lot

1|1
    0|0
  • Well music is like food so it's a bit hard to tell about a person from what they eat because everyday is different and they might want to change it up. But you can tell how sophisticated they are by the level of skill is involved in the music and how many instruments are being played in the music.

1|0
    0|0
  • i feel like those who listen to rap are introverts, mind their own business, hard to impress.. and i mean real rap (tupac, eminem) not some dude rapping about how he can afford 100 donuts and have two hookers on his bed. other than rap, i dont have that much in mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well many things but to keep it short if they actively listen to hiohop electric etc.. they are kinda energetic and have an active mind patience is kinda messed up ... And contrasting is the country listenners they have kinda calm mind they love being silent and listen etc.. they too are energetic but not actively imposing...

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends. An analyct usually listens to classical music or rock music. Diplomats usually listen to alternative music. Sentinels listen to country and religious music. Explorer's listen to electronica and pop music. Same with social engagement people. Constant people listen to link and rock and people mastery listen to blues and country music

0|0
    0|1
  • I read somewhere that a person's favorite kind of music reflects what they like in a romantic partner, I think. Maybe that was favorite animal, I can't quite remember...

0|0
    0|0
  • I listen to all kinds of diffrent music. It depends on my mood. Music doesn't describe personality, it describes mood.

1|2
    0|0
  • Not much the fact that u believe you know the person just from the music isn't a good way to know that person

0|0
    0|0
  • There's obvious stuff like political views and i know for myself there are like 100 break up songs that remind me of particulary shiity days best forgotten. But i think there is some fundamental differences between music fans.

0|0
    0|0
  • It pretty much reveals a lot of information. Are they an introvert or extrovert, their preferences, their philosophy towards life, their energy and enthusiasm, and so on...

0|1
    0|0
  • If they listen to violent rap I think they like or glorify violence.

If they listen to psyscho metal music I usually think they have some sort of affinity for evil and death..

0|0
    0|0
  • People who prefer weirder music have quirkier personalities while those who prefer mainstream trendy music will have an average personality. Pick the ones you're most comfortable with.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they listen to music then you can tell a lot about some. But if they only listen to music on the top 20 charts then they are not listening to music and are as basic as they come.

0|0
    0|0
  • A first approach to the person's culture and character in some cases. Maybe the current mood. In other cases not a thing, because some people listens a variety of genres.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they only listen to what ever is mega-popular or trendy; i can tell they aren't complex or deep enough to be worth my time

0|0
    0|0
  • That they like the music they are listening to. Other than that you are just assuming.

0|1
    0|0
  • Whether they like the radio crap with a 4/4 beat and generic lyrics or actual music.

0|1
    0|0
  • You can easily figure out what taste of calmness is he in , can check whether he is a wannabe or a person of genuine personality

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 18

• In fact, an individual's choice of music changes within the same day depending g on his "mood" or craving to listen to "new music" or "old music". "Choice in music" doesn't necessarily reflect his/her personality but may reflect "what" & "how" he wants to be. It's kinda similar to "movie likes" you may have. 😇💕

0|1
    0|0
  • Tbh not a lot. Like for example I listen to all music; rock, pop, classic, indie, alternative, latin, soundtrack, hip hop, jazz, electronic, dance, soul and many more.

Like if someone caught me listening to Mozart, they might think I'm a bit quieter and old school or if I was listening to Hip hop at that moment they might think I'm a bit hood or something haahha.

So I dont really think you can tell much about a person, in what they listen to.. because it can always differ.

0|0
    0|0
  • U can't tell about a person just from music. A calm person may like energetic music, etc. U can't tell

0|0
    0|0
  • Id say to some extent yeah. Ok so I admit I love classical music but sometimes I like to listen to like vinnie paz or Eminem. It's all based on my mood I guess.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some aspects of their personality. Mostly how they like to feel at times, because music creates a mood

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really know.. I like all different kinds of music..

0|1
    0|0
  • Pick one from this site and we will send it to you www. bad -dragon. com just complete the welcome package and free.

0|0
    0|0
  • No because everyone is different some people are happy go lucky people and listen to sam smith or Adele

0|0
    0|0
  • i listen to almost everything depending on my mood
    i go from clasical music to rap

0|0
    0|0
  • If they're close-minded, what they're into, if they're uneducated, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing. My baby listen to K Pop but he's so masculine. That's just me.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they had an emo phase in middle school

0|0
    0|0
  • That you can’t judge a book by its cover.

0|0
    0|0
  • What kind of music they like.

0|1
    0|1
  • What their taste in music is really

0|0
    0|0
  • I can tell some about a person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Their mood