Is there such a thing as bad art?

If so, where do we cross the line between good art and bad?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• All art is bad if it has an fat the start. lol

Everyone likes different things... Someone elses beauty is someone's ugly, some people love the classics, some people think Mona was a b*3£_46£@ cough insert word of choice #_3_##&@# it's all up to the person making it & those looking at it.

There's no rules or laws in creation, just as someone else said, some people don't have imagination, so basically even a chimp can do better that most 'art' around the world.

At one gallery, someone left a can of popular sift drink in the middle of the room & people thought it was art & they walked around it. Some people are genius some are just stupid.

Like what you like, but if you hate something, don't hurt the ones who like it with comments, then they can't hurt yours. in my opinion.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Hi.

Yes. Art can be bad. It has rules, there is a Science to it.

To those saying no, art is subjective, just stop. You are repeating the rhetoric of utter bum sniffery and misusing the expressive terms for what art is.

You cannot just throw paint on the canvas, or collect rocks together that look like dog turds, or even sketch a can of soup and just call your work genius.

Everyone is capable of creating art, but not everyone is capable of creating good art.

It is a free world in which anything can become the subject of art, but you really have to be up ones own arse to say, I dunno something like this :
    -------
    My work explores the relationship between Critical theory and unwanted gifts.

With influences as diverse as Camus and Joni Mitchell, new synergies are crafted from both explicit and implicit dialogues.

Ever since I was a student I have been fascinated by the ephemeral nature of the mind. What starts out as yearning soon becomes manipulated into a hegemony of defeat, leaving only a sense of dread and the dawn of a new beginning.

As spatial forms become distorted through boundaries and diverse practice, the viewer is left with a tribute to the possibilities of our existence.

----- bollocks I made up. 2018.

Good art reflects skill in using the rules of artistry to convey an idea, illicit an emotional response which in itself highlights social and political climates, documents history and inspire design for the future as well as entertaining.

Bad art fails wholly to do this because it was done by someone who might not yet have skill, or lacks imagination/ creativity, has an insular understanding of the world around them and a distinct mark of laziness to try to improve on those works before morons form an echo chamber of smiles around them and use for their own monetary gain.

All of art is art, but not all art is good art.

3|0
    0|0
    • yes the rhetoric of personal truths and lkewarm new age politiacally correct pseudoscpirituality. the collapse of all old values. thats the underlying spirit that tries to convince us art doesn't have standards.

• Show All
    • I have been to the Tate modern galleries in London and Liverpool on plenty of occasions. I am pretty easy to wind up, but I just found myself angry at the audacity and boorishness of some of the most trumped up pieces on display there. To date I believe I have only revered 10 or 11 displays which I would happily call art.

Perhaps my anger towards these pieces I consider lesser than the minority 10 or 11; and my overall desire to put myself through the experience on multiple occasions is in itself justification for those pieces to be considered art? But then as I type the question mark I find my self dangerously close to the aforementioned bum sniffery, and am compelled to to repeat my previous statement that there is such thing as bad art.

• as i said to the OP, for these garbage paintings depicted here noone will shed a tear, write a poem, compose a masterpiece or conduct a diatribe on these monstrosities. they cannot be art.

Most Helpful Girls

• It depends on the category. Fine arts usually are high end detailed portraits of objects, nature & people.
    Cartooning, anime, all those need to have good line work to be considered good. Like there are established standards.
    Modern art is probably what you mean and for that it's just a variation - I don't even know myself, I guess it just goes by how popular you are no matter what you make is art - if you're poor and uncared for if you make a dot on a paper it's considered shit, even if it's the same one at the museum.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't think you can use the attribute "good" for art. Art is an ancient very subjective, very intimate, self expressing form of our inner world, such as can't be measured. Art is beyond ethics, so we can't judge it with therms used by ethics.
    You can only judge the technique the artist used, the skills he/she had, but that would never change the piece of art's value, really.
    Some piece of art we will never understand, we will never be able to connect with the artist through it, but that doesn't mean the work he/she created was not good.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 45

• This is bad art.

1|0
    0|0
  • Art is dependent on perceptions. Logically that would mean there is such a thing as bad art, buy it would only be bad to certain people.

Art can be bad, but can also be appreciated for how it was made. If you don't like a picture, but can see that the way it is put together is masterfully done, still means you think it is a bad picture...

2|0
    0|0
  • Look at me I drew a squiggly line!

media1.s-nbcnews.com/.../...m-of-bad-art-tease.jpg

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely, the modern art in my opinion is a shitty art.

It lacks the affection and the deep connection between the artists and his work.

Art should complement the feelings, environment or the simple nature of things.

But painting a full blue on a canvas is just shitty.

1|0
    0|0
  • Even beyond the idea of beauty is in the eye of the beholder you still have to take in the context. was it done by a seasoned artist or was it done by a two year all these things count for something in the end depending on whether you want to take it in context or not

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I think that art should actually represent something, that first image I wouldn't consider to be good art, looks like someone gave a 5 year old a paintbrush and a bucket of red paint

2|0
    0|0
  • According to today's standard anything could be art.

A while ago I read that a janitor at an art show or museum accidently threw out a piece of "art" because he thought it was trash.

1|1
    0|0
  • Some art is just a person sneezing on a canvas and selling it for thousands

1|0
    0|0
  • Art is subjective. I am allowed to think it sucks. You are allowed to like or dislike it. The idea that all art is good is ludicrous.

3|0
    0|0
  • You have to determine if the artist accomplished their message.

2|0
    0|0
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I think stinks, you might appreciate. A 3 or 4 year old might see the artwork in the picture in this question for instance the scribbleing.

1|0
    0|0
  • When it comes to graphic arts and sculptures, I have a rule of thumb. If I can do it, it isn't art, it is garbage.

1|1
    0|0
  • Everything we do, is a piece of art. Keep that in mind. Everything we do, we paint, we draw and we see, is art. A single smooth coloured touch, Art.

1|0
    0|0
  • well all of those paintings aren't creative.. they are just literally lines nothing special about them but it isn't bad exactly.

2|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I see your point but if you knew the purpose of the paintings you may think differently. That's why art is so versatile and free. It's up to interpretation. It's different for everybody. Some people can't seem to understand the magic of analyzing art though which is where I think people get "bad" from.

• Beauty is within the eye of the beholder. A Mona Lisa portrait might seem ugly to me but, some are willing to pay millions for it.

2|0
    0|0
  • Saw the 1st. "Painting on the net and itsild for a few mil... this is bullshit not art every1 with 10 min of free time can do this... my deaf and half blind dog that can barely walk could do this

1|0
    0|0
    • Anyone can do art. But the art that is sold for millions is usually made by rich/famous people who are friends with rich collectors.

• Yes, if for instance you mistake the art piece for a pile of garbage, then we can state that it is objectively bad (this by the way has happened on several occasions with modern art, they have been thrown out by cleaning crews because they think its trash (which to be fair it is)). Their are certain measures to art, yes it can be objective, but only to a degree. If every one states that me slamming on a pan erratically is music, is it? Well no. Their are certain rules to follow, if their is no skill involved, if you cannot find some way to relate to the piece (like for instance in, LA museum of art, they bough a million dollar boulder that an artist claimed was art. It was just a big rock, he did absolutely nothing to it. Kind of hard to relate to that) then you cannot claim its art.
    https://youtu.be/lNI07egoefc

1|0
    1|0
  • Bad Art.. does not have to be drawing or paintings.. It can also be hmmm little wayne cause he sucks now..

1|0
    0|0
  • Art is an objective on it own. There is nonbad art. Beauty is in ourselves. Art should never be defined by anything.

1|0
    1|0
  • Absolutely. And the pictures that are presented here qualify as bad art.

3|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 29

• I absolutely adore children's art, it's so creative, it provides a window into their perspective and it's so happy! Of course they aren't going to have the skills to be able to draw something accurately. It doesn't mean their art has no value. When I was a little girl, a family friend who was an artist, bought one of my drawings from me and framed it. I was so happy. :)

I appreciate all kinds of art but scribbles are kind of silly.

1|0
    0|0
  • Art is an extremely personal experience, and entirely subjective.

Discussing bad art from a skill point of view, certainly- from a concept point of view, portraying a message can help people make successes without training- or just help people get away with a lot more!

1|0
    0|0
  • The pictures you posted are bad art, because they're not art at all. Where's the hard work? Where's the technique? It's so easy to create "abstract" art and do something like what's pictured; makes me feel bad for the real abstract artists that do something abstract but there's actually technique in the work. Why does art now days always have to portray a message? Good art is something that makes you say "wow.." 😯

2|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what the art is trying to be. If an artist is trying to draw a realistic portrait, but the proportions are totally wrong and the subject ends up looking like more of a blob than a human, then it would be a *bad* realistic portrait - hence bad art. Same goes for using any other style or technique, it usually takes a lot of practice to actually get good at it and make it look "right".

1|0
    0|0
  • No such thing, it is only bad if we place certain expectations to it.
    a more attractive artwork is an artwork that can catch your eye and express your feelings!

1|0
    0|0
  • No. The whole point of art is that it's a free world to do what you want. Anything can be art as long as you put your heart and soul into it because that's what it's all about. All the people that said yes don't understand what true art is.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes, modern art like the one you show here is garbage. no talent and no effort involved. no meaning and no soul in it. its anti-art if anything

1|0
    0|0
    • noone will shed a tear, write a poem, compose a masterpiece or conduct a diatribe on these monstrosities. they cannot be art.

• This question reminds me of something my art teacher said:
    "There are no rules in art, but every piece of artwork has it's rules"

I guess bad art is art that breaks it's own rules...

1|0
    0|0
  • If that’s art then I’m a artist and should be making lots and lots of money

1|0
    0|0
  • To be completely honest I can’t tell the difference

1|0
    0|0
  • art, ultimately like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It depends on the person and how they interpret the piece.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I tink so. All those drawings don't even produce any type of emotions whatsoever.

1|0
    0|0
  • Art is subjective. So yes, what might be bad for some people, is good for other people. That's why my answer is no.

1|0
    0|0
  • Each has their own interpretation as to what good and bad art is.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nothing interesting unless it's done by a famous person

1|0
    0|0
  • There is such thing as a bad artist. What do you get from art like this? Does it tell a story? No. Does it create some sort of feeling? No. Its just shapes. You wouldn't really feel anything if I drew a red square in the center of a canvas, would you? But if I were a famous artist, you would likely feel differently about it. If you want to be a good artist, work for it. I don't mean to be rude, but this is a bit ridiculous. Abstract art is still art, but the first painting could be by a five year old and the last two by a few students taking geometry and no one would know any better. There is such thing as bad art, but no one says so in fear of being seen as rude or uncultured. Call it as it is. 🙂

1|0
    0|0
  • I think the only bad art is the very basic art that feature no creativity at all

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, if there is good, there is also bad art

1|0
    0|0
  • No such thing. It’s all in the eyes of the viewer

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes