Metalheads, what are your thoughts on this video about a study on fellow headbangers?

I didn't know what to think.

honestly, before I was ever a metalhead I was one of the suicidal folks. like around age 13. I was always depressed, angry too, where it was hard to control. a couple times I did actually attempt to end it all, but then I started getting into music. at first it was punk, then metal. I mean I was surrounded by that all my life due to my parents, but I REALLY started paying attention. and I swear after turning into a total metalhead it saved me. took away all that anger and sadness. and I've been happy ever since, because I put all my aggression into aggressive music. there are occasional times where depression tries to hit but right when it does i crank up some good music, or play my guitar and i feel better. without metal who knows what would have happened to me.

really what I think when it comes to this, is that it just depends on the individual. There are some metalheads out there who are stupid enough to consider a Slayer album as an ebook on rules of how to live life. others take it in a better direction where they know not to do what the lyrics say but enjoy the stuff because of its art.

your thoughts?

0|4

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a chicken and egg scenario. Does listening to metal cause 'heads' to be depressed and suicidal, OR do people with mental issues, tough lives, depression, who are misfits, and so forth, naturally gravitate to aggressive music like metal and hip-hop?

I believe it is the latter for most people. People who already have tough lives and struggle with various mental and/or emotional issues probably find metal and hip-hop enjoyable because sadness and tragedy almost become like a comfortable blanket. The dark side is then something to be fascinated by rather than something to avoid. The same goes for horror movies and other oddities. I know some people who enjoy oddities because it takes them away from reality. It is kind of like any other addiction that is fed when we succumb to escapism.

I have lots of emotional scars from childhood. I was bullied, afraid of the dark, sexually abused, and neglected by my parents. I experimented with drugs and even dropped out of school. I eventually turned my life around completely and am doing very well for myself now, but the dark times of my past more than likely have an influence on my love for horror movies, metal and hip-hop music, and developed an immunity to strange things that cause other people to turn their heads in disgust.

However, I have never been suicidal. I have been depressed. I have anxiety, but that runs in my family. So it really depends on each person and what their coping mechanisms are and what kind of support they have. I know I am privileged to have a family that helped me through the dark times. I also know that my Christian faith helped to keep things in perspective and made me fear divine retribution if I were to give up.

Some friends of mine also had similarly tough childhoods growing up. They also enjoy metal, hip-hop, horror movies, etc. They see the dark side as something to be witnessed from the safety of the light rather than something to divert our eyes from. It is something that entertains because it is part of the human experience that takes us away from the norm, and it becomes a source of adrenaline akin to extreme sports. We can relate to the dark, even embrace it, because we have lived on that fine line all of our lives. And yet, we can still be inspired by the good in everyone (including ourselves) because we have formed armor from the dark due to our exposure to it.

The truly strong and moral man of value knows he is a monster but chooses not to succumb to it.

1|0
    0|0
    • great answer dude. that's sad that you deal with such bad stuff in life, but its good that your faith, family and acknowledging the darker side of things has helped make things better. its true though man, within each of us really there's a light side and a dark side. its better acknowledging both than just be afraid of one

• I agree. Some people who think they are good, pride themselves on speaking no evil, hearing no evil, and seeing no evil, are really lying to themselves. We can be afraid of the dark, cower from our darker natures, OR we can recognize it and know that it is there. That doesn't mean we have to integrate ourselves into it. We can live parallel to it, witness it, even respect it, but not fall into it. The obscene then merely becomes a spectacle, and brutality gives way to aggression that is merely an expression of our darker selves without actually doing harm to ourselves or others. On the contrary, we become less impressionable than a non-exposed person would when be witnessing these things because we have built up an immunity.

I could hear a lyric by Cannibal Corpse, something extremely vile and brutal, think it is artful, even awesome to hear, but know that it is nothing something I would ever want to happen or take part in.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I agree, it really does depends on the person. When I started listening to punk, alternative, " emo music " heavy metal, and rock. It has helped me a lot during my teen years. I still listen to the music because I love listening to my favorite bands.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• You need to understand that most of today's music, beginning in the 1980's has been deliberately weaponized; especially metal and hip hop. That's why I prefer bands from the 1960's and the 1970's.

Personally, I believe that a person's musical tastes are a window into the soul. So healthy musical messages will make you feel happy while demented musical messages will make you feel suicidal and depressed. It's a fact that most mainstream metal embraces such things as satanic imagery, the horrors of war and mental illness while underground hard core metal delves into such things as necrophilia, homicide, torture and cannibalism. The way I see it, if you are constantly bombarding your subconscious with these dark, evil and depressing messages than you could become psychologically unbalanced. This is what a positive message actually sounds like:

YES - Then
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W10qiXqlvo8

Moody Blues: The Voice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-umqM9R8cnI

1|0
    0|0
    • I consider metal a part of me, but classic rock stuff is still awesome too XD

• Thanks! As far as I'm concerned, listening to some metal is fine as long as it's balanced out with other kinds of music. Although, I think people who listen to metal every day, and nothing else, are playing Russian roulette with both their mental and spiritual health.

• i think the study is faulty if they studied doom metal or the gothic or emo culture lol Metalheads are the farthest thing from suicide culture lol Metalheads are usually very stubborn and headstrong in the face of adversity, very independent, outspoken, and have strong personalities and a sense of who they are and where they fit in this world. I also read an article that Metalheads have many things in common with Classical music listeners and composers of classical music

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, a lot of hurt people end up liking heavy metal.

No, heavy metal doesn't hurt people.

Yes, some idiots hurt themselves with heavy metal, but they would have hurt themselves with anything, they're idiots.

I think that's correct.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think the findings from the study do kind of make sense. If someone already has that kind of personality then listening to metal could be a really negative influence.
    But I think for most people who listen to it, it acts as a form of stress relief. For me the only thing that makes me honestly happy is writing a fucking brutal riff and knowing that it won't be long before I get to see a crowd of people throwing their heads into it 😃

1|0
    0|0
    • hell yea!! I'm working toward putting my music out there as well

• Show All
    • You'll find it, just keep messing with it til it sounds good.

Haha thanks. Probably gonna need it 😃

• lol I will XD your welcome

• I think they might causation and correlation. Metal was never something that brought me down. It's always something that's lifted me up and made me feel good. I think people go to it for that. Maybe it just attracts the emotionally distraught. Give us something to powerful while we listen to it, or to take out or aggression without hurting anyone, including ourselves. I don't think metal if destructive at all, I think it's a good thing.

1|0
    0|0
  • To me it was the sound what really helped to get over depression or something, so it was never about lyrics promoting a certain lifestyle or actions. Obviously that was for the reason that English is not my first language and metal lyrics are difficult to hear and understand because of screams-growls and loud mess.
    Wait... So thats why nobody understands a single word in extreme metal songs, authors just want to keep us out from suicide. So nice of them :)

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it is awsome how you like old metal. There is not that many younger people who do and to see all your intrest and excitement in it is awsome...

1|0
    0|0
  • I have always been the same way. Hard rock and Heavy Metal truly saved me. When I was younger I was always insecure and had few friends but listening to Metal built up my confidence and introduced me to a lot of true friends. When I was 17 my Mother died and I can remember spending that night with blasting Ozzy, Metallica and Megadeth through my headphones. It got me through some rough nights. When my Father died a couple of years ago I decided to learn how to play bass and guitar.
    Music is still getting me through the rough times. Now I can listen and play. Still learning though.

1|0
    0|0
    • yeah I totally get that. and yeah I tend to consider myself a "learning musician" I mean I can play riffs and stuff but I'm still learning more a lot

• Yeah I have got pretty good at Bass and my friend is a great drummer which helps. But my Guitar playing is still rough. Pretty much just power chords right now. And forget about leads. Lol.

• The music it'self is not what's causing the harmful behavior. These people already had this negative behavior and it's because of their experiences, their conflicts, and afflictions that it drew them to metal. Metal is fast, heavy and aggressive, the personification of these feelings in musical form. Metal is all about the disenfranchised, so of course you'll have more suicide in a group that already feels angry and lonely. This music for them is an outlet to balance out their anxiety and pain. But like any remedy, it doesn't make it truly go away.

1|2
    0|0
  • I think that one study done by a psychologist means very little. Psychological studies are notoriously faulty (from the claim of will fatigue to ADD among other things all of which have been proven to be incorrect). However their could be a correlation, but that's completely different then causation. I mean dance music almost certainly has a correlation with drugs, is it related? Well not really, people who do the drugs like the influence the music has on them while high, same with Metal, if your in a bad place heavy metal can be very cathartic. So its possible, but again, I think its not something that we can say are related in a causal manner.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hey little matey, if metal stops getting you high tell me and I'll give you some other interests that will occupy you time, there is never any reason to be so sad to end things.

The most important thing to remember about heavy music is it ain't a Christmas Carol, it's dark, crazy, and touches the most primeval part of the human condition, naturally occurring the listener needs to be mature enough to know the difference between right and wrong, fact and fiction, and a scarey, entertaining story.

1|0
    0|0
  • Go back and watch the early/mid 80s docs on heavy metal and stuff.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've been listening to a shit ton of metal since I was 12 and I haven't harmed myself or anyone yet.

1|0
    0|0
  • Metal music helped me tremendously. It's cathartic and a form of therapy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it depends on the person.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Actually, before I listened to metal I was semi suicidal. It didn’t influence that (not currently suicidal GaG moderators).
    I think though, that the people who listen to metal are bullied more which could be why there are greater numbers in this group of individuals.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes