Metalheads, what are your thoughts on this video about a study on fellow headbangers?

I didn't know what to think.

honestly, before I was ever a metalhead I was one of the suicidal folks. like around age 13. I was always depressed, angry too, where it was hard to control. a couple times I did actually attempt to end it all, but then I started getting into music. at first it was punk, then metal. I mean I was surrounded by that all my life due to my parents, but I REALLY started paying attention. and I swear after turning into a total metalhead it saved me. took away all that anger and sadness. and I've been happy ever since, because I put all my aggression into aggressive music. there are occasional times where depression tries to hit but right when it does i crank up some good music, or play my guitar and i feel better. without metal who knows what would have happened to me.

really what I think when it comes to this, is that it just depends on the individual. There are some metalheads out there who are stupid enough to consider a Slayer album as an ebook on rules of how to live life. others take it in a better direction where they know not to do what the lyrics say but enjoy the stuff because of its art.

your thoughts?

216

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a chicken and egg scenario. Does listening to metal cause 'heads' to be depressed and suicidal, OR do people with mental issues, tough lives, depression, who are misfits, and so forth, naturally gravitate to aggressive music like metal and hip-hop?

I believe it is the latter for most people. People who already have tough lives and struggle with various mental and/or emotional issues probably find metal and hip-hop enjoyable because sadness and tragedy almost become like a comfortable blanket. The dark side is then something to be fascinated by rather than something to avoid. The same goes for horror movies and other oddities. I know some people who enjoy oddities because it takes them away from reality. It is kind of like any other addiction that is fed when we succumb to escapism.

I have lots of emotional scars from childhood. I was bullied, afraid of the dark, sexually abused, and neglected by my parents. I experimented with drugs and even dropped out of school. I eventually turned my life around completely and am doing very well for myself now, but the dark times of my past more than likely have an influence on my love for horror movies, metal and hip-hop music, and developed an immunity to strange things that cause other people to turn their heads in disgust.

However, I have never been suicidal. I have been depressed. I have anxiety, but that runs in my family. So it really depends on each person and what their coping mechanisms are and what kind of support they have. I know I am privileged to have a family that helped me through the dark times. I also know that my Christian faith helped to keep things in perspective and made me fear divine retribution if I were to give up.

Some friends of mine also had similarly tough childhoods growing up. They also enjoy metal, hip-hop, horror movies, etc. They see the dark side as something to be witnessed from the safety of the light rather than something to divert our eyes from. It is something that entertains because it is part of the human experience that takes us away from the norm, and it becomes a source of adrenaline akin to extreme sports. We can relate to the dark, even embrace it, because we have lived on that fine line all of our lives. And yet, we can still be inspired by the good in everyone (including ourselves) because we have formed armor from the dark due to our exposure to it.

The truly strong and moral man of value knows he is a monster but chooses not to succumb to it.

• great answer dude. that's sad that you deal with such bad stuff in life, but its good that your faith, family and acknowledging the darker side of things has helped make things better. its true though man, within each of us really there's a light side and a dark side. its better acknowledging both than just be afraid of one

• I agree. Some people who think they are good, pride themselves on speaking no evil, hearing no evil, and seeing no evil, are really lying to themselves. We can be afraid of the dark, cower from our darker natures, OR we can recognize it and know that it is there. That doesn't mean we have to integrate ourselves into it. We can live parallel to it, witness it, even respect it, but not fall into it. The obscene then merely becomes a spectacle, and brutality gives way to aggression that is merely an expression of our darker selves without actually doing harm to ourselves or others. On the contrary, we become less impressionable than a non-exposed person would when be witnessing these things because we have built up an immunity.

I could hear a lyric by Cannibal Corpse, something extremely vile and brutal, think it is artful, even awesome to hear, but know that it is nothing something I would ever want to happen or take part in.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I agree, it really does depends on the person. When I started listening to punk, alternative, " emo music " heavy metal, and rock. It has helped me a lot during my teen years. I still listen to the music because I love listening to my favorite bands.