Why do people want to bring world issues into television shows or entertainment in general?

I'm not sure how to ask this without it becoming a brew ha ha and people yelling at me and accusing me of things I'm not saying. I know there's hot button issues that upset people when maybe they think it's being mocked or something. However, television is for entertainment purposes and much of what you see wouldn't necessarily apply to a regular person's life. Which is why I'm curious as to why people attached world issues to episodes of shows they watch.

And, I ask this because I saw that Day of Our Lives (a soap opera) had a story recently about one of their characters having Dissociative Identity Disorder and having sex with her husbands brother as her other personality. Many people thought that was horrible and said that led to questions about sexual consent.

Now, soap operas are VERY out there because you won't find many primetime T. V. shows that has a character die and come back to life 5+ times lol. So, for anyone to take a soap opera and apply world issues to that is kind of crazy because soap opera's our pure entertainment and nothing else. Not to much, another soap opera One Life to Live was the first (I believe) to deal with DID and that person sleep with or seduce different people. So, why it's an issue now I'm not sure. Here's the link to that article: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/days-lives-episode-sparks-backlash-mental-disorders-sexual-consent-144910953.html
I feel I wasn't clear on what I meant , this was about the viewers not the writers. People are going on Twitter and putting up stuff such as "#JusticeforAbigail" (which is the characters name). So, I'm more talking about the viewers making things a big deal and putting things on social media and acting like the person is a real person instead of actor playing character. I hope that makes sense now.

712

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you're reading too much into it. Methinks the whole reason they introduced that into a soap opera is just so they could add more twists to the story.

They'll do anything for plot twists or hooks, I don't think they were tryna start any conversation or real discussion, it was just included because it made for some good drama lol

• I guess I should have been more clear about what I meant. I'm not talking about the writers , I'm talking about the viewers who watch it and then put up on Twitter " Rape is Wrong! #JusticeforAbirgail" (which was the characters name). That's what I was talking about.

• Ohhhhhh okay ma bad haha

• It's fine. It's my fault for not being more clear.

Most Helpful Girl

• The only people who watch soap operas are in nursing homes. How are going to have any real comedy or drama if you don't engage the things that people actually deal with? Sounds like the entertainment you want is the equivalent of branflakes topped with cardboard sprinkles