Why do people want to bring world issues into television shows or entertainment in general?

I'm not sure how to ask this without it becoming a brew ha ha and people yelling at me and accusing me of things I'm not saying. I know there's hot button issues that upset people when maybe they think it's being mocked or something. However, television is for entertainment purposes and much of what you see wouldn't necessarily apply to a regular person's life. Which is why I'm curious as to why people attached world issues to episodes of shows they watch.

And, I ask this because I saw that Day of Our Lives (a soap opera) had a story recently about one of their characters having Dissociative Identity Disorder and having sex with her husbands brother as her other personality. Many people thought that was horrible and said that led to questions about sexual consent.

Now, soap operas are VERY out there because you won't find many primetime T. V. shows that has a character die and come back to life 5+ times lol. So, for anyone to take a soap opera and apply world issues to that is kind of crazy because soap opera's our pure entertainment and nothing else. Not to much, another soap opera One Life to Live was the first (I believe) to deal with DID and that person sleep with or seduce different people. So, why it's an issue now I'm not sure. Here's the link to that article: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/days-lives-episode-sparks-backlash-mental-disorders-sexual-consent-144910953.html
Updates:
I feel I wasn't clear on what I meant , this was about the viewers not the writers. People are going on Twitter and putting up stuff such as "#JusticeforAbigail" (which is the characters name). So, I'm more talking about the viewers making things a big deal and putting things on social media and acting like the person is a real person instead of actor playing character. I hope that makes sense now.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you're reading too much into it. Methinks the whole reason they introduced that into a soap opera is just so they could add more twists to the story.

They'll do anything for plot twists or hooks, I don't think they were tryna start any conversation or real discussion, it was just included because it made for some good drama lol

0|0
    0|0
    • I guess I should have been more clear about what I meant. I'm not talking about the writers , I'm talking about the viewers who watch it and then put up on Twitter " Rape is Wrong! #JusticeforAbirgail" (which was the characters name). That's what I was talking about.

• Ohhhhhh okay ma bad haha

• It's fine. It's my fault for not being more clear.

Most Helpful Girl

• The only people who watch soap operas are in nursing homes. How are going to have any real comedy or drama if you don't engage the things that people actually deal with? Sounds like the entertainment you want is the equivalent of branflakes topped with cardboard sprinkles

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• A lot of people watch tv so it's a great medium to raise issues and make people think. Plus the reality is people find drama entertaining so any dramatic issue they can find they will put into a tv show.

0|0
    0|0
  • Television shouldn't be just about entertainment - it should challenge our views and educate us about what's happening in the wider world.

If television only stayed within our comfort zone, we would be viewing the world through rose tinted glasses and we would never challenge anything

0|0
    0|0
    • I'd agree, if we weren't talking about soap opera that's also dealt with demonic posession and a bunch of other crazy things.

• I think it's a great use of a popular drama to educate people and raise awareness of issues.

Although I don't watch soaps, I am aware that over the years the ones here in the UK have highlighted many issues and raised public awareness of them.

Many viewers wouldn't be exposed to some of these issues, including but not limited to spousal abuse, drug and alcohol addiction, male rape, etc

• I would say that the writers care about those issues and want to either help the issue or make people see that the issue isn't so bad. Maybe their trying to help make a change. Show people that say, homosexuality isn't bad or scary or wrong. Or maybe they choose environmental issues.

I like when tv shows bring up issues, as long as it isn't every episode, unless that issue is what the whole meaning of the show is.

0|0
    0|0
    • I guess I should have been more clear about what I meant. I'm not talking about the writers , I'm talking about the viewers who watch it and then put up on Twitter " Rape is Wrong! #JusticeforAbirgail" (which was the characters name). That's what I was talking about.

• I agree that the world's problems and politics shouldn't be brought into entertainment TV... I mean they are in a fictional universe why bring all the other issues there...

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't comment on that specific example, but we're seeing that anytime hollywood tries to inject politics/SJW bullshit into entertainment it turns into a dumpster fire.

The last Star Wars is a prime example.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are doing this because it is a part of the great alien/occultist elite new world order master plan to implement the one world government, were people won´t be covet slaves anymore like nowadays, but true slaves with minimal if any rights at all. The time for the completing of this masterplan is approaching, so they have to pinpoint all these issues by as many media as they possible can, in order to make people paranoid and willing to give up their rights in the name of defending against a threat that they themselves are creating and after that offering you the "brilliant" solution of a one world government that with time would just reduce your rights year by year till you are a total slave of this occultis elite and their parasitic aliens overlords.

0|0
    0|0
  • It adds perspective to the show. it can also just be lazy writing, like law and order svu. That is like 90 news story, 10% writing

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the time, it's just propaganda from one or the other party.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ignorance of the uneducated by not beeing able to feel that they are a part of the problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because everything is political now

0|0
    0|0
  • If we Talk about it, we raise awareness

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Because the viewers get quite attached to a character and have a view of them how they should be and behave. If they don't act or be like they are used to they can get mad and disappointed in the writers for putting their beloved character in such situations.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause people love drama that why they watch it I love drama I don’t start it or stir it but I’ll watch it. Like my neighbors fighting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a job they are getting paid. I think and my own opinion.

0|0
    0|0
    • They just want peoples reactions and to get them going so may be something drastically can happen and having the world supporting what they are trying to achieve.

• That’s reality. Tv would be boring if it wasn’t like that

0|0
    0|0
  • To get people to watch. If you feel sympathy for the characters they seem more realistic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Money, and cause they think they’re really doing a service by making people aware

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes