Can singing be learnt or are people born with the ability to sing?

• Can be learnt
    Vote A
  • People are born with the ability
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It can indeed be learnt my dear.
    though, for some people it comes naturally, for others, they need to train a lot before having a nice singing voice :-)
    I don't think anyone was born as a soprano :-P

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you for MHO.
      If you want me to sing, then you will have to protect your ears firs, am a really bad singer :-D

• Yeah natural talent is something that should not be overlooked, I think some cultures naturally produce good musicians, like the New Zealand Maori, who can always seem to be gifted singers. But I actually ticked the box for singing is a learned skill.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Humans naturally sing whether we are good at it or not. But singing in tune is a skill that can be taught to most people if they are interested.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you for MHO. I'll sing to you if you ever come visit LA.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• I've been practicing singing several months now and it definitely can be learned. I took a few singing lessons from a teacher and after that opted for an online course which I still follow. It depends on your motivation and amount of effort how fast you will learn. Of course it helps a great deal if you have an ear for pitch, but things like staying in tune can be learned as well.

Singing properly requires an incredible amount of muscle control and being in tune with your body. Diction and what you do with your mouth and tongue also matter a great deal. No one is born with total stamina and beautiful singing tone, you build endurance and discover your singing voice over time through practice. One of the biggest hurdles for me was to stop singing from the throat and support the voice with the diaphgram instead. It took countless repeats of correct breath in- and outs, posture fixing and "searching for muscles in use" within my body to learn away from the "throat singing", I'm still eliminating the remains of wrong throat muscle tension. Other things like warming up your voice properly and not oversinging were things I had to learn too. Your voice is an instrument which needs to be looked after and taken care of. There's a lot that goes into singing but it's so much fun to do, to me singing is like flying free in the sky and when you hit the notes of your favorite songs and nail them it's a feeling that's hard to top.

For reference, here is an example of a recent practice, this is after practicing roughly 3-5 times a week for several months:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk63ZJe7D20&feature=youtu.be

0|0
    0|0
  • I've known some people who have a natural ability to do it without having learnt. But more people have to go through the process of learning it as opposed to relying on natural talent. I've also seen people with no musical talent at all but became pretty good at it after practice. So, both are possible, to answer your question.

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be learned. It just won't come as easily or quickly as it does for the "born with it" person. Even though Michael Jordan is considered one of the greatest players of all times. He had the best natural ability of anyone on the court. He also had one of the strongest work ethics. He wouldn't be who he is today if he didn't put in the the work to hone those talents.

0|0
    0|0
  • I assume by "ability to sing", you mean "can carry a tune". Anyone can "sing", but to actually SING... I've never known of anyone who didn't have a natural ability, being taught to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually, a landmark study of twenty years proved that anyone can sing if taught unless the have speach problems.

0|0
    0|0
  • It all depends on your vocal chords, but that only changes the 'singing well or bad' part, anyone can technically sing if they want.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anyone can ding, but not everyone can sing good

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be learned just like any sport

0|0
    0|0
  • both I've seen happen

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• I voted can be learned, but honestly I voted wrong because Selena Gomez has so many singing lessons yet she still can’t sing. So my answer is no.

1|0
    0|0
  • Both. Some people have a naturally good singing voice but there are vocal coaches that can help you become a better singer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes