Can video games be counted as an art form?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course. It dabbles between music. Art. Writing etc. It blends them all into another form of art which is what a game is.

1|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• They are and will be fully accepted as one in time.

You can look back through history and see any number of things which started as a new invention, served a purpose, became mainsteam, and were at least in part finally raised to an artform.

Art simply needs to be something which can serve as a form of expression and to be accepted by society as one it need only be well accepted by a relativity large group as a respectable form of expression.

Many groups already have accepted games as art and more will.

They are just as much art as any form of literature, musical and visual art infact the combine the genres and take it to another dimension by telling a story that changes and interacts directly with their audience.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• For sure! Just take a look a some games' graphics and details

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it countains music, which is art, graphisms, art again, and a scénario, art too

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Art is expression, and games can certainly be an expressive medium.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I definitely think so. Depends on the game

2|0
    0|0
  • It's media and the arts

0|0
    0|0
  • Yessss

0|0
    0|0
  • kinda

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 35

• Sure they do, games is another way to tell a story.. to showcase a journey by giving you the option to be the hero or the villain... it's like a movie but your the one to make the decision. You wanted to see it in it's pure form... play the witcher III... you'll see that it's an art.. a game incredibly rich...

0|0
    0|0
  • Scenario, dialogues, visuals, musique, gameplay, innovation, narration. With all this, how can video games not be counted as an art form?
    But just as in music there are pieces with depth and meaning and some mercantile shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it can be a way to tell a story, an expression, holding a message etc. It's not the most conventional art form cause of how much one can interact with it and interupt it but that it is what makes it beautiful.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course they are. The amount of creativity needed to mold those ideas into an interactive and immersive experience is the epitome of art. Even more so I think.

0|0
    0|0
  • You wouldn't ask for question if you played games like the original mass effect

0|2
    0|0
  • Think of all the artists who worked in a video game. Graphic designers, concept artists, animators, vfx artists, 3d modellers, sculptors, writers.
    It's a form of art.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah there are competiton which conducted in my school. But it has a side effect that it is generally addicted. So one should make a time table for that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, pretty much, and it requires very much a great deal of artistic sense to make the awesome characters and animations that some games have, it isn´t easy , but on the contrary, it is very hard to do and requires a great sense of spatial rotation and so on, i know about it because i have studied a little bit of animation in the past, and perceived it was not for me, video-games are a more active form of art, in which you are a more active part rather than an almost completely passive one such as books and movies.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course. They're both art and an entertainment medium.

0|0
    0|0
  • People design the characters, maps, there is a storyline.. They pretty much create a small digital world, so id say yes

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, Alice Madness Returns is a great example, just play that game and see how to containts artistic visuals, writing, and music

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to think so, takes skills and dedication to get good at games. And I invested quite a few hours in gaming.

0|0
    0|0
  • Id definitely say so. Modern art. Some of the views you get in games are incredible.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes. some are masterpiece, some are. piece of shit... like any other form of art... some are even made of!

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure.

The Last Of Us in particular is more story than game really.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some do, like minecraft

search for "minecraft is an art form" on youtube, you will see pure art

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, people take a long time to make all those graphics.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im a gamer and yes, here in the us they dare legally considered that but I don't know where you are

0|0
    0|0
  • Candy Crush? No.
    Mass Effect? Yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Certainly my good sir

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes