When you listen to music, what's most important, the lyrics or the instruments?

I'm big into the meaning of lyrics and feel the music just paces the story told by the lyrics. My wife's the opposite. She's all about the instruments and rarely even pays attention to the lyrics.
  • The instruments are what make the music!
    Vote A
  • The lyrics are what music is all about!
    Vote B
  • I don't know, I just listen.
    Vote C
  • I hate music.
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I love when songs have deep and helpful lyrics or anything at all, it makes the song more interesting and meaningful. My favorite band is Coldplay, they make really emotional music I highly suggest their album X&Y if you need more shit to listen to!

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I listen mostly to English bands and English is not my mother tongue. I used to have an app that shows real time lyrics while playing a song. And I used to look up and read lyrics. My attitude to the question describes the fact that I would absolutely love to know the exact lyrics text but I gave up looking up for it a long time ago.

0|2
    0|0
    • This is very similar to what it's like for me being 80% deaf. So I can sympathize with your situation.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• I love Beethoven's lyrics

0|1
    0|0
  • Lyrics are important because music has definitely helped me during my teen years. I still enjoy listening to the lyrics but at times depends on my mood. I just like hearing it. Especially when I'm listening to my favorite bands.

1|1
    0|0
  • I pay special attention to both. even if there's a song I hate hearing I can at least appreciate the meaning behind it. lyrics are definitely important but sound is as well, to me.

1|1
    0|0
  • I pay attention to both. I feel when you put one amazing thing with another amazing thing, you create magic but, if I had to choose one then, I would say lyrics are a really the important part of the song.

0|1
    0|0
  • I find lyrics to be very important and vocals as well. I don't care for the instruments that much.

1|1
    0|0
  • The beats. I can listen to jibber jabber long as it got a good beat to dance to

0|1
    0|0
  • Music is a message sent with instruments, somehow I could say, it preaches

0|1
    0|0
  • The instruments, I don't care for the lyrics.

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• I'm 80% deaf, so lyrics are very hard for me. It's too much of a strain on me mentally to pay attention to the lyrics. So most of the songs I hear have incredibly wrong lyrics.

0|0
    0|0
    • Wow. That's got to be rough. Have you tried listening on YouTube where they display the lyrics?

• Show All
    • And while we're on the subject of lyric meanings, Stairway to Heaven and Hotel California mean whatever the listener takes away from it. According to the composer of each respective set of lyrics. I've witnessed them both saying as much, in video interviews.

• It depends on the song

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes