When you listen to music, what's most important, the lyrics or the instruments?

I'm big into the meaning of lyrics and feel the music just paces the story told by the lyrics. My wife's the opposite. She's all about the instruments and rarely even pays attention to the lyrics.
  • The instruments are what make the music!
  • The lyrics are what music is all about!
  • I don't know, I just listen.
    Vote C
  • I hate music.
    Vote D

93

Most Helpful Girl

• I love when songs have deep and helpful lyrics or anything at all, it makes the song more interesting and meaningful. My favorite band is Coldplay, they make really emotional music I highly suggest their album X&Y if you need more shit to listen to!

Most Helpful Guy

• I listen mostly to English bands and English is not my mother tongue. I used to have an app that shows real time lyrics while playing a song. And I used to look up and read lyrics. My attitude to the question describes the fact that I would absolutely love to know the exact lyrics text but I gave up looking up for it a long time ago.

• This is very similar to what it's like for me being 80% deaf. So I can sympathize with your situation.