Any bookworms here? What is your favorite fiction genre to read and how old are you? Why do you prefer it?

I'm interested in what genres y'all are interested in (fiction only please, I'll do another question about non fiction later)? What books do you most enjoy? Why do you enjoy them? What are your favorite books? How old are you? Where are you from? You're education level/ occupation? What are your favorite books?

(I listed some popular examples of that genre in parenthesis, however, please keep in mind that books rarely are strictly one genre. So yes Twilight could be considered fantasy, romance and young adult - it actually is - I just listed these books in those singular, specific genres just to give a quick example.) I also, obviously, couldn't list all fiction genres, so I picked most popular and familiar.

Non readers, please move along.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any feedback is appreciated :)

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.5oxftxf1LYJkzqMur6OdgQHaFd&pid=Api
  • Horror (Anything Steven King: The Shining, It)
    Vote A
  • Literary fiction (To Kill a Mockingbird)
    Vote B
  • SciFi (Harry Potter)
    Vote C
  • Young adult (Hunger Games)
    Vote D
  • Romance/erotica (50 Shades of Grey)
    Vote E
  • Fantasy (Twilight)
    Vote F
  • Thriller (The Da Vinci Code)
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

2|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I am somewhat of a bookworm. I like science fiction, usually what most term as "hard science fiction." I've been seriously into the works of Robert Sawyer lately. His book Calculating God is one of the best scifi reads I've experienced in say the past 30 years.

A close second for hard science fiction for me is alternate history. I loved Robert Conroy's 1945. I loved Harry Turtledove's what-if-the-Confederacy-won series (called the Order 191 series). It's very interesting to speculate what would have become of North America and the world had the South won the Civil War. One of the reasons I prefer Turtledove to Conroy is that with Turtledove's work, America doesn't always win.

Now, that being said, WHAT THE FUCK IS HARRY POTTER DOING IN SCIENCE FICTION?

1|1
    0|0
    • Sorry, Harry Potter was listed as SciFi when I googled it lol I've never read those books.
      I like science, but I just dont like scifi. I don't know why. Though, I am interested to read the Calculating God one. My boyfriend just loves alternative fiction too. I am not a huge fan, but there are some interesting thoughts on historical events when reading them.

• Calculating God is da bomb!

Deals with questions about the universe appearing designed, and if it was designed, who or what made it?

Tell your boyfriend about Robert Harris's Fatherland. In my opinion the absolute best alternate history ever written. Police procedural book in a victorious Nazi Germany about the greatest whodunit in history. Where did all those Jews go?

Most Helpful Girl

• #ProudBookworm

I'll read anything lol. I've read all but 2 of the books/series from your list. Well minus Stephen King and I've read a bunch of his books. My favorite authors are James Patterson and Jasinda Wilder. Two totally different writers. One is pretty much all suspense/thriller and the other is romance/erotica lol.

I've been reading since I was 4 years old. Writing my own stuff since I was 10. I'm 30 old ass years old now lol. I have many favorites. HP will always be in my top 5 no matter how old I get or how many books I ready.

1|0
    0|0
    • Are you ever gonna try to publish a book? If so, in what genre?

• Show All
    • So the system picks in a week now? I thought it gave us 30days! :(

Curse you @girlsaskguys

• Yup, they changed it.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• From your list, the thriller. I love realistic fiction books, that means: it must be a story that apart from some "extra-dramatized" aspects could happen in reality.
    I prefer disaster stories (plane crash, boat sinking, train accident,...) or war stories.
    If it involves planes it's probably slightly more my favourite.

1|0
    0|0
    • Can you recommend an airplane disaster book?

• Show All
    • I've seen the movie Airport. 1970, I think. It's one of my favorite movies. I've never read the book.

Did you see the movie Flight? I loved it!

• @Bluemax I don't think so - will keep my eyes open when they play it :D
      I can of course also advise you "Air Crash Investigation" on National Geographic. Superb - I don't mean the crashes but you can learn a lot from it... in terms of how not to do it.

• Fantasy, almost 23. I'm Dutch, living in the UK and I studied computer science a few years back, I'm now a developer. My favourite fiction genre would have to be Fantasy/Adventure. My favourite series is a collection of light novels "A certain magical Index". There's tons of those small books, like 45 books of 150 pages ๐Ÿ˜Š You just get some invested into the universe, its characters and their development ๐Ÿ˜

1|0
    0|0
  • I love romantic and erotic stories.
    I also like thriller and psychology books.
    Right now am reading the fifty shades trilogy, and I also bought the latest two books by E L James which are:
    -Grey (fifty shades of grey from christian grey point of view)
    -Dark (fifty shades of grey from christian grey point of view)
    The books are way more amazing than the movies.

Psychology I have read a great book which I do recommend:
    "The Untethered Soul" by Michael A. singer

1|0
    0|0
  • It changes with what is happening and how I feel at the time. Dark fantasy, xianxia, light novels, high fantasy and sci-fi are the usual categories for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I prefer science-fiction and fantasy. If I read for enjoyment I want to be teleported to a different world. I hear enough about this one in my daily life.

I'm 30 and a college student. I'm from Massachusetts, USA.

As far as fantasy goes I'd have to say my favorites are the His Dark Materials series and the Stormlight Archives which I'm making my way through now. The series isn't finished but each book is over 1000 pages so there's lots of meat on the bones.

1|0
    0|0
  • Things like mystery fiction, which in Nordic countries is psychological and not just whodunit, shallow โ€˜lightโ€™ reading

1|0
    0|0
  • I like historical fiction. Real historic events but with a fictional story line. Bernard Cornwell does an excellent job a weaving history and fiction together.

1|0
    0|0
  • best fiction I've read is horror/fantasy (like algebraic geometry)

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I like horror and scifi. I feel like those two both go hand in hand often times with each other. I like Stephen King yea and RL Stine, I also like Alan Schwartz. He's good if you want to tell scary short stories around a camp fire. His stories are short but he has a lot of different scary stories within one book. My favorite author though is Edgar Allan Poe. My education level is Associates degree and I am 26. My occupation right now is cashier but graduated with a degree in IT and general studies. I am from Iraq Kurdish.

1|0
    0|0
  • medieval fantasy: game of thrones, wheel of time, lotr, etc

1|0
    0|0
  • I like heroic fantasy, steam punk universe and science fiction (Harry Potter is not science fiction by the way, there is no science, it's mostly fantasy).
    I also very much enjoy the work of Lewis Carroll.
    I enjoy those genre because I like coherent worlds with other scientific rules than ours, that's what I've been figuring in my mind since I was young. I like to explore ideas even though they are not realistic. Thus why I like these.
    The Hobbit, The Snark, Alice in wonderland and La Horde du Contrevent are my favourite books.
    Also I'm in IT and a former math teacher, that could explain why I like to read none down to earth fictions to relax.

1|0
    0|0
  • Adventure books. Anything adventure. Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, True Grit.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer literary fiction, and the classics.

1|0
    0|0
  • Scfi and fantasy are my favorites

1|0
    0|0
  • I prefer fantasy

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess Harry Potter

1|0
    0|0
  • I like reading books, but more nonfiction books.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love historical fiction.

0|0
    0|0
  • The books that appear constantly around my house are mainly young adult, thriller, some fantasy.

I tend to prefer the heavier ones but since Iโ€™m often reading for work I tend to not actually read often unless on vacation. I read a fairly random sampling of those. When I do pick up a book I tend to finish it in like 2-3 days but may not read another for a while. If I actually had more free time Iโ€™d probably read one or two a week.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• I LOVE reading. I'll read almost anything.

1|0
    0|0
  • Honestly it s been a while I didn t have time to rezd smthng outside of my studies
    ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฟโ€โ™€๏ธ
    But the semester is almost over so I d like some suggestions from you ๐Ÿ˜‚
    I used to read a lot

1|0
    0|0
    • I'd have to know what you're interested in first lol

Oh girl, yes. Since I'm in school and work, ugh. I hardly have time to read anymore too :( it makes me sad

I'm currently reading Merchants of Doubt, more like rereading lol I love this book, it's by Naomi Oreskes and Eric M Conway.
      It's about climate change, and other science stuff has need politicized and then denied, also tobacco industry and other stuff like acid rain - so that companies Ann's corporations can continue making profit off our ignorance. I love it so far :)

• Alrighty noted๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ
      I like tobresd different genres so it s cool

• Iโ€™m a big urban fantasy fan. Patricia Briggs and Seanan McGuire are my favorite authors

I also really like Sarah J Maasโ€™ books but I donโ€™t really know what to call them other than fantasy XD

1|0
    0|0
  • I used to devour almost any type of book. In recent times I have read very little. The last book I read was a Stephen King Can't recall the title though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Haruki Murakami

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes