Does it make someone a "Misogynist" or "Sexist" just because someone strongly dislikes a movie that happens to have a female lead character?

I'm asking this since there are two movies from this current generation of Hollywood movies that I strongly dislike, which are Star Wars The Last Jedi and Ghostbusters (2016 reboot), both movies which happen to have female lead characters. I hate these two movies because of how lazy and half-assed the writings for these two movies are (thanks to LucasFilm Ltd president Kathleen Kennedy, who flat out stated that she thinks Star Wars doesn't need male fans despite that they're the majority of the fan base, and Paul Feig and Sony Pictures who deliberately insulted the core GB audience and gutted the GB franchise apart with the half-assed SJW-infested reboot no one asked for), not because there are leading female characters.

Then, the typical Hollywood SJWs decide to pull the "sexist" card to deflect valid criticism from these two very flawed films, which only gives me even more reasons to hate these two movies. I laugh at the Rotten Tomatoes critics blindly praising Star Wars: The Last Jedi with a 91% fresh rating yet only 47% of the audience liked The Last Jedi movie on Rotten Tomatoes audience ratings, lol.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi/

Just look at the Alien franchise, it's one of the most beloved movie franchise in history and everyone (both men and women) loves Sigourney Weaver/Ellen Ripley yet this movie never tried to force Feminist/SJW agenda down on the audience throats or tried to alienate the fan base.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Depends
    Vote C
  • Others
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You're critique story elements not character. I haven't seen Ghostbusters but I can imagine it's just average pulp that I have no interest in. The last jedi is polarising true, and I respect your opinion but I think it's set the story up in a much better way than if they just followed the path of the original trilogy. I have a feeling in time it might become people's favourite film, of the new series at least. To be fair, I think this situation is different to Ghostbusters because Rey being female wasn't a big deal, the Force Awakens was super well received only after a while did more critiques come out, mainly due to the laziness of the storytelling. It's not misogynistic at all, you're critiquing film. it's like saying I'm a misandrist for thinking the Room is a badly made film.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Rey is the reason why I disliked The Last Jedi. It has nothing to do with her being a female character but more to do with her being a mary sue because of lazy writing of her character. I tried to give Rey character another chance after watching The Force Awakens (which I honestly thought was a decent movie, but definitely still not better than any of the original trilogy movies) but then The Last Jedi completely screwed that up for me.

• I would have liked Rey more if she was a character with weaknesses/flaws (that she can overcome or improve) like the rest of the other Star Wars characters.

• That's just unfortunately a reoccurring theme with protagonists, they're perfect, morally, emotionally and physically, after a while you get bored. It's so much more fun to see someone who's actually interesting and fully fleshed out.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, I agree with you. When a character or the whole cast is made female simply to promote the idea of feminism or female roles in the movie industry, it tends to suck. Ghostbusters was a man-hating pile of shit.
    Look at films like Annihilation which were almost entirely a female cast and yet were awesome.
    Its why im already predicting that Oceans 8 will suck!

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I'm really getting fed up with Hollywood and their SJW, feminist agenda horse shit they've been shoving down on everyone's throats lately.

This is the reason why I very rarely ever go to the movie theaters to watch new movies these days. Nothing but shitty reboots, shitty remakes, unoriginal movies with lazy writing and movies infested with SJW agendas I refuse to give Hollywood or their directors my money. The only movies I ever watch today in theaters are Comic book-based movies like the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• Literally everything you've said about the female characters is that you don't like them because they can do things as women so yes. You misogynistic.

0|0
    0|2
    • Did you ignore the last part where I mentioned how the Alien franchise is very beloved by both men and women and how everyone (including myself) loved Sigourney Weaver/Ellen Ripley before you started jumping to conclusions?

• Show All
    • tl;dr apparently show don't tell is too advanced for you so if nobody says outright how they know things you don't know how they picked it up.

• It has nothing to do with Rey being a female. I didn't like the Luke thing either. If you show me a movie where a male lead can do everything perfectly the first time he picks it up, I won't like that either. THAT is what breaks the story lines for me. Has nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with bad writing.

• I thought the Last Jedi and Ghostbusters were terrible movies as well

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• Did not read your paragraphs, but obviously it depends. All movies are different. If they dislike the movie ONLY because it's a female, then yes, that's sexist/misogynistic. If they dislike the movie because a the main character being female messes up the story or something else, then no, that doesn't make them sexist/misogynist.

0|2
    0|0
  • I disliked them both because they were crappy films. Females leads had nothing to with it. I mean hell, it's been what 20 years since there was a good Star Wars movie? So, it obviously has nothing to do with the sex of the movie lead, and more to do with shitty/lazy writers.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think that Hollywood SJWs have got it wrong when they say that criticism of those films for poor acting and writing is sexist. What actually happened is that the films are genuinely crap, but they’re that way because the screenwriters didn’t really care about films with female leads so they did a half-ass job of writing a good script.

0|0
    0|0
  • A misogynist is someone who hates women. It doesn't have anything to do with whether you liked the new Star Wars.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope... didn't read the description. the title is enough

0|0
    0|0
  • No it makes you a free thinking person.

0|1
    0|0
  • No..

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes