Metalheads, would I be taken less seriously in the music business since I'm a girl?

the title says all. I mean I'm not exactly worried, but still I can't help but wonder. when I was 12 and 13 I had family tell me that I can't be in a metal band because I'm a girl. though my parents were/are very encouraging with me doing it. those who told me otherwise, I would just be like "eh fuck that I don't care". I have a guy friend who is in a few bands and has told me that the one problem about females in bands is that even more guys are gonna want to get in their pants. and that there can be other guys out there who just won't take the females so seriously due to gender. I guess partially since metal seems to be a kinda male dominated genre I guess.

what do you think?
gonna be lead guitarist of a thrash band.
and maybe will try backup singing with it lol

216

Most Helpful Guy

• Based on what I’ve seen at local/large metal shows both as musician/fan, it really is different per person. Luckily, I’d say that the vast majority of metalheads would treat you with respect.

A lot of dude metalheads find a girl who also does metal a big turn on (considering metalheads usually really are passionate about metal lol)... so you’ll definitely get a good amount of flirty dudes. That being said, most are pretty chill and not creepster-level. I don't know if you’re drinking at bars, but naturally, be careful about accepting drinks from strangers. You’ll probably get a ton free ones (if/when you are at drinking age). I had a girl in my last band (also metal) who was possibly drugged at a show. Happened when she took a drink from a stranger without knowing where it’d been. So... be careful.

There are sometimes aspects you’ll possibly face at times where you’re like “wtf.” Being a woman in metal as a musician is more rare, so sometimes people don’t imagine that you’re a musician unless you explicitly tell them. My previous female band mate was asked before “whose boyfriend are you? Sorry, the free admission is for band members only.”

On the plus side, the band often sticks together, so no matter what happens, you have 3, 5 or however many people to back you up haha. For instance, the one time my bandmate was drugged, we all made sure she got home perfectly safe and we even asked a few questions around to see if we could figure out who did it.

Like I said though, most will probably just think you’re badass and leave things there.

Most Helpful Girl

• No I don't think so. Women in the metal scene are taken seriously, much more than they used to be.
    Thanks to a few female bands that have paved the way for other ladies of metal.
    So sister chase your dream and I hope you succeed!
    I've always wanted a death metal band of my own! But being 33 I fear I've waited too late.

• thanks! :) tbh I wouldn't consider 33 too late. I mean I know it would be harder having time to work on music when you're a mom. but I remember my dad being 44 and still going out and playing shows. I was very young at the time. but whenever he'd get home he would have the whole show recorded on vhs for me to watch since I never got to see him live in person, besides being at the studio him and his band were recording at