Metalheads, would I be taken less seriously in the music business since I'm a girl?

the title says all. I mean I'm not exactly worried, but still I can't help but wonder. when I was 12 and 13 I had family tell me that I can't be in a metal band because I'm a girl. though my parents were/are very encouraging with me doing it. those who told me otherwise, I would just be like "eh fuck that I don't care". I have a guy friend who is in a few bands and has told me that the one problem about females in bands is that even more guys are gonna want to get in their pants. and that there can be other guys out there who just won't take the females so seriously due to gender. I guess partially since metal seems to be a kinda male dominated genre I guess.

what do you think?
Updates:
gonna be lead guitarist of a thrash band.
and maybe will try backup singing with it lol

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• Based on what I’ve seen at local/large metal shows both as musician/fan, it really is different per person. Luckily, I’d say that the vast majority of metalheads would treat you with respect.

A lot of dude metalheads find a girl who also does metal a big turn on (considering metalheads usually really are passionate about metal lol)... so you’ll definitely get a good amount of flirty dudes. That being said, most are pretty chill and not creepster-level. I don't know if you’re drinking at bars, but naturally, be careful about accepting drinks from strangers. You’ll probably get a ton free ones (if/when you are at drinking age). I had a girl in my last band (also metal) who was possibly drugged at a show. Happened when she took a drink from a stranger without knowing where it’d been. So... be careful.

There are sometimes aspects you’ll possibly face at times where you’re like “wtf.” Being a woman in metal as a musician is more rare, so sometimes people don’t imagine that you’re a musician unless you explicitly tell them. My previous female band mate was asked before “whose boyfriend are you? Sorry, the free admission is for band members only.”

On the plus side, the band often sticks together, so no matter what happens, you have 3, 5 or however many people to back you up haha. For instance, the one time my bandmate was drugged, we all made sure she got home perfectly safe and we even asked a few questions around to see if we could figure out who did it.

Like I said though, most will probably just think you’re badass and leave things there.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No I don't think so. Women in the metal scene are taken seriously, much more than they used to be.
    Thanks to a few female bands that have paved the way for other ladies of metal.
    So sister chase your dream and I hope you succeed!
    I've always wanted a death metal band of my own! But being 33 I fear I've waited too late.

1|0
    0|0
    • thanks! :) tbh I wouldn't consider 33 too late. I mean I know it would be harder having time to work on music when you're a mom. but I remember my dad being 44 and still going out and playing shows. I was very young at the time. but whenever he'd get home he would have the whole show recorded on vhs for me to watch since I never got to see him live in person, besides being at the studio him and his band were recording at

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• No. The young metal scene seems to contain almost 50/50 boys and girls now. Maybe 20 or so years ago, you'd have a concern. Nowadays, nothing is strange about it

1|0
    0|0
  • Metal has always been my favorite genre of music dear Old School Metal Head, along side with Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, and Alternative Rock.

To be totally honest with you, I have always appreciated a female band more than male band, for the simple fact that I am more into listening to a female voice, not to mention the amazing feelings I get when seeing girls rocking the stage with guitars, drums and microphones!!!

One of my favorite bands are Arch Enemy and Withing Temptation. They both have female member. What I like most is seeing a girl rocking the stage with a guitar, God knows how much it gives me shivers. I used to play the guitar and regret stop playing it.

Regardless the genre my dear, if you have really good music going on, then just focus on how much you can rock the stage and flame people up with your solos ;-)

Good luck and best wishes!!!

\m/

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as you're good enough you'll be accepted, just make sure you've worked on your growl! From the gigs I've been too all the crowd care about is the music.
    I was at Camden rocks last year, saw a group fronted by a couple of women, the place was packed out and rocking

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, metalheads are really accepting everyone who listens to this music. Even in moshpits, everyone is equal. They push you as hard as they push other males. Metalheads are really open about accepting peole🤘

1|0
    0|0
  • You do know how many lead singer chicks are in the metal business right? You just need decent looks and a decent voice and you'll make it. Pm me im interested

1|0
    0|0
    • that's true I do kinda forget about the other females in the business due to me loving mainly the voices of guy singers lol

• Check out https://youtu.be/n9AcG0glVu4
    I think everyone deserves to do whatever they want 👿👿👿

1|0
    0|0
    • HEY I ALREADY LISTED ARCH ENEMY!! YOU can't COPY ME YOU BASTARD!! LMFAO

• Show All
    • if i call you a bastard again you will make a goat whore? damn man take it easy i dont want to hurt any goats around here i was just joking!

• Yes man same here chilling, did you count Kittie cuz I was thinking to throw up link for them to our friend.. sorry I don't know her name actually 🤗🤔

• No. I've seen a lot of female metal singers do just fine.

1|0
    0|0
  • 1|0
    0|0
  • I think the hard rock heavy metal scene is starving for female talent. I think you will do fine.

1|0
    0|0
    • I just got my tickets to see a all female Iron Maiden tribute band next weekend call Iron Maiden’s. Can’t wait to see them.

• Show All
    • They have some YouTube videos that sound pretty good. This is my first time seeing them I’ll let you know how they are.

• cool yea do that. in the meantime i'll check em out on youtube.

• No way!! Female musicians are amazing! We need more of them

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends tho... I haven't seen manny blackmetal girls heavy metal is truly 50/50 but like doom or black... I dunno

1|0
    0|0
  • Nah you good

1|0
    0|0
    • Hit me up if you ever make music, for real. I'd love to hear it. I also do vocals if you ever need screaming vocals on a trackm

• awesome man thanks XD once I got some stuff recorded with a future band i'll send some recordings to you

• No problem. Sweet, can't wait to hear it.

• Maybe go onstage punching men.

1|0
    0|0
  • Rock on and fuck everything

1|0
    0|0
  • Female singers are not a surprise for anyone, although female voice is obviously different from the male one and aggressive cleans are more aggressive. However, aggressive female cleans are more energetic (at least for me). It was definetely a surprise when I first saw Arch Enemy, but nothing negative.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

Recommended myTakes