What's you favorite national anthem?

I think the Italian (Il Canto degli Italiani) and the Russian anthem are pure art, but I chose the anthem of my country (Hungary). A bit sad lyrics but great. National anthems symbolize our identities, what's your favorite?

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I really like the South African one...
    The Hungarian one you linked is beautiful...

I'm Australian and ours is terrible. XD

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I liked your mention of the Hungarian anthem! ❤

• It funny... Auzzies never size to surprise me. Whatever you imagine about Australia, when you ask them, they hate it. The @OpinionOwner mentioned the Anthem. Another example, I always associated Auzzies with cricket and squash and I have not met or been in contact with a single Auzzy who likes or even follows cricket or squash.

• Oops, not sure why @OpinionOwner is showing up blue. I was addressing the lady above :)

Most Helpful Guys

• I too love the Italian anthem, and always look forward to a Ferrari winning the F1 Grand Prix. After that I like Advance Australia Fair.

0|1
    0|0
    • Me too...
      When I was kid, my only disappointment was that Michael Schumacher is not Hungarian and I couldn't listen the two anthems in the end. 😂

• Show All
    • Thankyou for the MHO.

• I've always thought Hungary's and Malta's have the best instrumentals.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 14

• It's kind of hard to pick a favorite one so I'm not going to limit myself. I'm American so naturally I'd be biased toward The Star Spangled Banner, as it's the one I grew up hearing and it has a familiarity to it that I find comforting.

But I'm going to approach this completely from a musical perspective, as in which ones would I want to put to CD and listen to in my car. I know Scotland doesn't officially have a national anthem, but there are two songs I know of that have been used as unofficial anthems. Scotland the Brave and Flower of Scotland. I like them both.

Then you have The Star Spangled Banner. When performed properly with the correct instruments it projects raw power and majesty. Every time I hear it I can't help but stand straight and puff out my chest. Now I consider myself patriotic, but this has nothing to do with patriotism. Several compositions have that effect on me and this one shares elements with them.

O Canada is a nice one. The music is soothing. Where it's obvious that the anthem of my homeland was written in a time of war, by a man as he bore witness to a battle, the soothing music of O Canada combined with the repeated line "O Canada we stand on guard for thee" puts me in mind of a gentle soul, standing in the wide open door of his home extending a hand, saying "welcome, friend. Come on in" before continuing with the gentle but firm reminder "just don't start any trouble or I'll break you in two."

Germany's anthem gives me a warm fuzzy nostalgic feeling for some reason. I didn't grow up hearing it. The first time I heard it was well into adulthood when I got curious and started looking for recordings of other national anthems. I heard it as an instrumental, and right then I got the feeling that even though it was new to me it should have some sort of meaning to me. I've always scoffed at the notion of ancestral memory, but I'm largely of German descent so maybe this proves it.

UK, I intentionally left you guys out. You took My Country 'Tis Of Thee, one of our most patriotic songs, and stole the melody for your anthem :p

0|1
    0|0
  • I like the French national anthem, and the American one is also quite catchy. BTW: was it that pink girl who said white people don't have a culture? Her username was pink something. I made sure to provide her with a long response consisting of everything I mentioned to you earlier and more.

0|1
    0|0
    • Oh, yeah! 😂
      I was blocked there, and my comments were erased. Those people don't like when someone bursts their bubble. I've read your comments and you schooled her!

• Show All
    • I thought she would erase your comments either, like she did to mine. It shows a bit about her (feeble) mind... 😂
      I just think it would be humiliating if I lost an argument and, by "revenge", blocked the other persons and erased their comments. Only real crybabies could do something like that!

I will write a Take about white guilt, maybe some 🐀 will show up.

• That rat though.

• Have u listened to Indonesia national anthem?

Motivating, very positive, good melodies.

1|1
    0|0
    • You are absolutely right, I just got listened the Indonesian anthem and it's very good!

• So proud of the kiwis lol :P

https://youtu.be/mhCgcZ0efAA

1|1
    0|0
  • Italian puts ours to shame...

0|1
    0|0
  • Star-Spangled Banner

0|3
    1|0
  • Turkish

0|1
    0|0
  • The National anthem of France

0|1
    0|0
  • I only know the US national anthem

0|1
    0|0
  • Taiwanese

0|1
    0|0
  • USSR and Italian

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't really listen to other anthems

0|0
    0|0
  • I like Fijis and New Zealands anthem

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 28

• Deutschland über Alles

0|2
    0|0
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPGPAnPNa8
    🎥 O Canada - National Anthem - Song & Lyrics - HQ - YouTube
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fFK0UPbsyM
    🎥 Robbie Rotten orders ice cream, but it's actually Soviet... - YouTube

0|1
    0|1
  • 1|1
    0|0
  • Союз нерушимый республик свободных
    Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
    Да здравствует созданный волей народов
    Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

Славься, Отечество наше свободное,
    Дружбы, народов надежный оплот!
    Знамя советское, знамя народное
    Пусть от победы, к победе ведет!

Сквозь грозы сияло нам солнце свободы,
    И Ленин великий нам путь озарил.
    Нас вырастил Сталин - на верность народу
    На труд и на подвиги нас вдохновил.

Славься, Отечество чаше свободное,
    Счастья народов надежный оплот!
    Пусть от победы к победе ведет!

Мы армию нашу растили в сраженьях,
    Захватчиков подлых с дороги сметем!
    Мы в битвах решаем судьбу поколений,
    Мы к славе Отчизну свою поведем!

Славься, Отечество наше свободное,
    Славы народов надежный оплот!
    Пусть от победы к победе ведет!

0|1
    0|0
  • The Islamic Ummah anthem - Ummati qad laha fajrun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy_gwPoahtc

0|1
    0|0
  • None. Regardless of how nice they sound, I think they're all garbage because they promote toxic patriotism.

0|0
    1|0
    • Oh, what "woke"! Do you want a Nobel Prize for it?

• I'd rather have a cookie.

• Everyone I know that give two shits about national anthems are 50+ senile crackers who think thank pot and video games were created by the devil. So it makes me cringe whenever I hear it.

• Obviously gonna say the national anthems of both my countries (since I'm a dual national). The Greek one and the British one !

0|1
    0|0
  • The anthems of
    Italy
    Poland
    Ukraine
    Russia
    Romania
    Kazakhstan
    France
    Greece
    Turkey
    Japan
    N/S Korea
    Sweden
    Norway
    Portugal
    are all great

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course the US’s national anthem.

1|4
    1|0
  • I think if you don't like your home country's anthem the best, then you have a problem.

0|2
    0|0
  • Soviet national anthem XD (it actually sounds amazing)

0|1
    0|0
  • God Save the Queen, La Marseillaise, and Marcha Reale

0|1
    0|0
  • I am german and really like our german national anthem.

0|1
    0|0
  • France and UK. And they want to change the french one.

0|1
    0|0
  • Star Spangled Banner.

0|2
    0|0
  • Hulk Hogan's entrance theme, "Real American"...

0|1
    0|0
  • The Russian anthem
    Then the French

0|1
    0|0
  • Russian Anthem/USSR

0|1
    0|0
  • Deutscheland Uber alle... oh wait, nevermind...

0|1
    0|0
    • But the Soviet Anthem is completely badass, especially when I'm playing as a Soviet in a WWII game.

• More from Guys

Recommended myTakes