Do you need to be Korean in order to be a Kpop star?

This, I've seen on other websites and forums, can turn into a really controversial topic. So I'll try to make it pretty straight and narrow.

Kpop is a Genre of music that originated in Korea and stands for Korean Pop so it's only right for me to accept the argument that only Korean people should become Kpop artists right?

Well that's not right, I don't accept it honestly because it's only named what it is because of the language it's in, not because of the people that perform it. I believe you can be a Kpop artist no matter what race you are, just as long as you speak the language.

Am I wrong for thinking so? What's your opinion?

23

Most Helpful Girl

• u don't have to be korean, but at least be Asian. coz it's js weird ya know? there was gna be a WHITE kpop group but everybody blew off so🤷‍♀️

• actually damn i take my comment back i don't know lmfao

• I believe you have to be Asian or part Asian. The white guy you're referring to yeah Korean fans blew him off and insulted him to the point I believe he no longer is trying to be an idol. And Alex from Rania was only added to say they had a black member then they never used her and just dropped her from the same group. So if you can manage to be non Asian and a kpop idol, you'll get treated like shit and dropped by your company super fast

Most Helpful Guy

• Wouldn’t you just be a pop star with an odd taste then. I mean, call it Kpop if you want because it’s pretty much the same thing, but I like to live by the actual definition of words.

• And the actual definition of Kpop is Korean Pop music. There are Chinese Kpop stars, but they're still considered Kpop stars.

• Honestly I really don’t like it. It’s just not my type of music.

• I can accept that.