What do you think about Childish Gambino's song "This is America" that's lighting up social media? Controversies? Is it racist?

I'm curious about what other people think about this song!

What's your overall opinion?

I've already seen a lot of different opinions on it, and as of right now when I'm posting this question, he video has about 18.8 million views!

811

Most Helpful Guy

• What is he even saying? Quite honestly looking at the lyrics its highly repetitive and broken English so I can't even understand what he is trying to say. If he is suggesting that America is violent then that is completely inaccurate, statistically speaking. If he is suggesting America is particularly unfair to blacks, again, that is statistically incorrect. So I don't know what is being said so I can't say whether or not its racist, or whether or not what he is saying is accurate (or even meaningful).

• Well, while his lyrics might be a bit on the repetitive side, are you aware of the actual messages behind them?

• Ah okay I understand where you're coming from now.
      Some users went more into depth than I probably could on this question, if you'd like to take a look! I was very impressed actually :)

• Yeah I just read one of them. I don't necessarily disagree with the interpretation but would greatly disagree with that being an issue (as over 90% of all shootings deaths are of blacks BY blacks and yet the black community itself seems perfectly content with this as they only speak up when their is a conflict with the police (in every publicized case the black suspect resisted arrest and/or assaulted the officer and/or was armed) rather then the rampant black on black violence which many try to pretend is not a case (claiming that all crimes tend to be within the community and thus white on white crime is the same as black on black crime (while ignoring the fact that out of the roughly 11,000 violent shooting deaths that occur in the US about 9500 are blacks killing blacks despite the fact that they only make up 13% of the populations while whites make up 63% of the population (Hispanics 17%) or the fact that all of this can be linked to the fatherless epidemic in the black community.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not a fan of rap whatsoever, but Childish Gambino is one of the few rappers I actually listen to. I like the song, has some really catchy parts, but the video... the video makes my inner nerd go wild. If I was still in high school and had to do a response in an English class or something, I would pick this music video. There's just so many references and metaphors, it's really impressive tbh. You have the reference to Jim Crow, Uncle Ruckus from the Boondocks, the Charleston church shooting, the unarmed black man shot in the back of the head. The choreography itself represents how celebrities are merely distractions from the horrors that plague black people on a day to day basis, the kids behind him copy his every move, they record videos on their phones, never really paying attention to what's going on behind them. The only time they notice the violence is when Childish Gambino points the finger guns at them, because the only time they notice the violence is when their idols make them aware of it. It's not only a message about how we're blinded by celebrities and the media to ignore what's important, but it's also a message to other celebrities to use their platform for good, which is something Childish Gambino is trying to do.