What's wrong with not wanting to go to prom?

I'm a junior in high school and prom is for Jr's & Sr's at my school. All my friends kept asking if I was going to prom that happened this weekend and my aunts and a few of my cousin keep trying to convince me to go and have a date my senior year. They get all surprised and be like "Omg! Why don't you wanna go to prom? I think you REALLY should go! It will be fun!" I don't get what's wrong with not wanting to go. What am I missing out on?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It might not be fun, but you should go, because it won't happen when HS is done. Even if you only have a crappy experience, it'll turn into a good story later.

1|0
    0|0
  • Prom has been a rite of passage for half a century. It significantly grants you formal permission to DATE and thus is "first" formal date. Its a rite in the sence it trains young men and women how to be proper in a formal social environment. That's the history lesson. While Prom was originally a means to find a mate for marriage after high school, today it is treated more of a photo opportunity and an excuse to spend money. True prom only happens in high school but it is not the same with all the rules and restrictions. My Prom was like the 50s and we put moonshine in the punch and several of the girls were "exposed" and all the virgins vanished on prom night. Prom was legendary. A true memory and bonding moment. Good or bad, everything that happened on prom night made life a new animal to hunt.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Who said there was something wrong with that? I don't see what the big deal is. I never went to my prom and I did not participate in any activities when I was going to school because I had a hard time fitting in. I was the outcast that everybody used to mess with all the time. When I finally made it to the 12th grade; I decided to drop out.

1|0
    0|0
  • There’s nothing wrong with not wanting to go. However, it’s one of those things you might regret missing later. That’s why people tried to make you reconsider. They probably had good intentions. Ultimately it was your choice.

1|0
    0|0
    • I personally don't like loud music playing around me and dancing. That's just not my thing so there really is no point in me going other than looking nice.

• Fair enough!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• If you really feel you would not enjoy it, then there is nothing wrong with not going. But flesh out in your mind, the reasons you don't want to go. Then make the choice that is right for you.

1|0
    0|0
    • What do u mean flesh the reasons out?

• desiree512: Fleshing out, mean looking at more than just the basics. Sort of like, the difference between looking at the bones of a fish to understand a fish, compared to looking at a fish with flesh and scales. To look at the wider picture.

• It's not a major thing you're missing out on... I didn't go to my prom and most of my friends who went all said it was really boring and a waste of time. I guess it's just about the kind of person. Some want to go and some don't. Honestly prom is not that big of a deal.

1|0
    0|0
  • No I don’t think there anything wrong not going. It’s just another one of those society standardized evens that’s people think you must do or you’re not “normal”. I had no intention of going to mine. In fact I didn’t go my junior year, it was only my senior year because I finally had a girlfriend for the first time which made it easier because at least I was going with someone I already knew and it was not a first date event. And who knows maybe by then you’ll want to go. But if not that’s ok too.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nothing wrong to not wanna go to prom it's your choice!
    I guess the prom sucks 😂😂😂

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn’t go either

1|0
    0|0
  • Not wrong, not going to prom is a choice

1|0
    0|0
  • It's your prom go if you want to or dont.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes