What's wrong with not wanting to go to prom?

I'm a junior in high school and prom is for Jr's & Sr's at my school. All my friends kept asking if I was going to prom that happened this weekend and my aunts and a few of my cousin keep trying to convince me to go and have a date my senior year. They get all surprised and be like "Omg! Why don't you wanna go to prom? I think you REALLY should go! It will be fun!" I don't get what's wrong with not wanting to go. What am I missing out on?

29

Most Helpful Guys

• It might not be fun, but you should go, because it won't happen when HS is done. Even if you only have a crappy experience, it'll turn into a good story later.

• Prom has been a rite of passage for half a century. It significantly grants you formal permission to DATE and thus is "first" formal date. Its a rite in the sence it trains young men and women how to be proper in a formal social environment. That's the history lesson. While Prom was originally a means to find a mate for marriage after high school, today it is treated more of a photo opportunity and an excuse to spend money. True prom only happens in high school but it is not the same with all the rules and restrictions. My Prom was like the 50s and we put moonshine in the punch and several of the girls were "exposed" and all the virgins vanished on prom night. Prom was legendary. A true memory and bonding moment. Good or bad, everything that happened on prom night made life a new animal to hunt.

Most Helpful Girls

• Who said there was something wrong with that? I don't see what the big deal is. I never went to my prom and I did not participate in any activities when I was going to school because I had a hard time fitting in. I was the outcast that everybody used to mess with all the time. When I finally made it to the 12th grade; I decided to drop out.

• There’s nothing wrong with not wanting to go. However, it’s one of those things you might regret missing later. That’s why people tried to make you reconsider. They probably had good intentions. Ultimately it was your choice.

• I personally don't like loud music playing around me and dancing. That's just not my thing so there really is no point in me going other than looking nice.

• Fair enough!