Do you think Comic Books and comic strips count as reading material?

This is open for debate. But honestly I believe children and adults can benefit as much from reading a Deadpool Comic, Archie Digest , or Peanuts comic strip as they can a novel or a book. Which I'm not saying books are bad but I think comics can help with reafing skills as well
  • Yes they count
  • No they aren't
Reading* hey I'm not perfect and I don't proofread all my questions

1526

Most Helpful Girl

• Absolutely. In fact, reading comics can definitely help develop reading comprehension, since they are a marriage of word and pictures... but also, comics are an art form in their own right. Yeah, a lot of people think that comics are only good for superheroes and colourful kiddie stuff, but really you can tell any kind of story with a comic that you could with a book or a movie.

If you haven't already read it, I strongly recommend Scott McClouds brilliant comic-about-comics, "Understanding Comics," where he talks about comics, their history and development, common storytelling techniques, and just all the possibilities of comics. It's an enlightening and entertaining read.

Most Helpful Guy

• Eh... im a bit off on this question. When it comes to comics, it is but not to the extent as some Manga. Im a heavy light novel reader which some mangas are based on. Comics on the other hand feel rushed due to some details being forced. Some comics get away with very light narrative and focus on action without painting a greater story than what is seen. Others do it in a way that brings tears to your eyes. Simply put... Maybe.

• I second this. There are some great comics out there, but manga and light novels typically handle the mature themes much more deftly.

• @ryancg Yea... I remember laughing when I heard Speedy was a drug addict instead of feeling something. Though Punisher and The Cap in civil war was endearing.

• Agreed.