Do you ever go to the movie theatre by yourself?

Do you enjoy it? Does it make you feel lonely?

Do you ever go to the movie theatre by yourself?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• As someone who can count their friends on one hand, that’s what I gotta do πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚
    I eat by myself in public, go to my classes by myself, go shopping alone, travel alone, watch movies alone. Not to sound cocky but I love my solitude so I don’t mind it at all, of course being with friends is fun too but it leaves me exhausted.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I've tried doing that once; I can say it really felt out of place without someone there to laugh/relate with or to share your movie theater food with. Like you said, it felt like a lonely experience, like going to a fancy restaurant by yourself. I can imagine some people don't mind this but I'd prefer to have someone with me to make the movie experience more exciting!

If there's a movie I'd want to watch by myself, I usually just wait till it's either avaliable at Redbox or on DVD/Blu-ray for me to rent and watch at home.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 40

• I haven't

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, several times.

Once, I was off work and caught a movie that wasn't very popular, and I was the ONLY person in the theatre. I actually took up my cell phone to call a friend just because it was funny to go "hey! I'm at the movies! No, nobody's bothered by me talking during the movie!"

Turned out there was no reception in the theatre, so I never got to do it, but...

1|0
    0|0
  • I used to do this all the time because a hacker ruined my reputation and I didn't have any friends. Now I have lots of close friends and have not been to the theatre in a long time because I am trying to save money.

0|0
    0|0
  • I only really go to movies for other people. I've never enjoyed them myself, i grew up with 2 brothers so naturally i was always beat 2 to 1 when it came to what movies we saw. I never got to see any of the "girly" movies so i generally can't stand watching any of them. Its torture having to sit there for 2 hours watching something that isn't interesting and resist the urge to play on my phone instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell yeah. I went and saw avengers infinity war and LOVED EVERY MINUTE of my time there. I actually go to the movies to watch movies or in theatres to watch not chitchat with people. It makes me lose focus. I prefer it that way

0|0
    0|0
  • I've done it once and I didn't enjoy it. I would much rather watch a movie by myself at home, for free and no other people around. I didn't feel lonely, it just felt like a waste of money.

0|0
    0|0
  • I went to the movies by myself once recently. It wasn't lonely but i was just taking advantage of the $5 movie ticket Monday deals and I went after class so around 1... and I just saw a movie I had seen in theaters before so it wasn't many people there so maybe thats why i didn't feel lonely but i do a lot of things alone so i don't think I'd bother me even if i went on an opening night πŸ€·πŸΎβ€β™€οΈ

0|1
    0|1
    • I suppose I am yup

• Show All
    • @Notbotheredtbh Look just so u know , i was depressed during the age of 16-20 aswell, it will get better. Just hang in there even through the hard times. Just don't insult innocent people, it only leads to u get getting more bitter and the one being insulted feeling bad or feeling worthless. Stay strong!

• @McJones Thanks mate, I'm sorry for the stuff I said and I appreciate the advice.

• I'm not a fan of going to the movies. Other people there just ruin the fun and I'd rather watch movies at home

0|1
    0|0
    • Omg yes! I've had so many random incidents in movie theatres. Once there was a drunk guy throwing popcorn at everyone and they had to stop the film, call the cops and drag him out!

• Yes I do sometimes depending on the type of movie. I’d do enjoy the β€œme time” and can focus on the movie. Certain movies I’d rather see with a friend to enjoy the movie with.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's a new movie that I can't find online, I'd go alone, but if it's a movie I can find online, why pay when I can see it alone at home rather than alone at the theaters?

0|0
    0|0
  • I go with my family and sometimes a friend but if the theatre is really full and I have to sit next to someone I will go and sit in the handicapped seats by myself

0|0
    0|0
  • I did go once and I admit I felt bit lonely cause everyone was with their friends. But I didn't have anyone to go with then.. What about you?

0|0
    0|0
    • I have not gone to the movies by myself, but I did go to a bar by myself a couple times. I didn't enjoy that.

• Nah it's fun sometimes. Movies are a pretty solitary activity so I don't care much

0|0
    0|0
  • In the theatre never
    Like to be alone from time to time but just feel silly to watch there alone..

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never done that. I can barely eat alone, what's left for watching a movie alone. I'd feel very stupid.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup! Did it for the first time this year because I wanted to see Infinity Wars and my friends were on the fence. Had a great time. It's like my own big ass tv and snacks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I do sometimes. Because people do not like the movies that I like :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I would and have lol. Its peaceful getting out for a hour or two and just treat yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes when its a movie no one wants to see like if it's scary sure, its just a movie lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I never have but it sounds like a great idea tbh. Maybe I'll try it out.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 52

• I used to when I was in the Navy, and I was fine with it. I got married years later and I very much enjoyed going together. Then she left me and I can't stand going alone :/ still working on remedying that.

0|0
    0|0
  • When my friends are busy I do on occasion. I am going with them to watch Infinity Wars today though. I prefer to watch movies with them because then we can talk about it and see jokes in it at the same time. It is more fun with friends.
    But without friends is nice too if I am tired or busy. To just watch by myself is more relaxing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do, why are people so scared to go to the movies alone? It's like watching tv at home, do you need someone watching tv in your basement? Are we that much in need that we ALWAYS need someone with us to do stuff? When you go to a movie, you don't talk to anyone. I think in the last 5 years I have probably watched a movie with someone around 10 times, but I have gone to the movies at least over 50 times in the past 5 years as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I have only gone to the movie theater once over the past 20 years.

Most theaters do not allow guns to be carried by patrons, which makes them killing zones for those who seek them out. No thank you.

I have a home theater room with a 12' screen I use instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to go to the movies by myself, but it was a waste of money so I just watch movies at home now. If I ever have a girlfriend, then I'll start going to the movies with her but otherwise I'll just watch movies at home.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have sometimes when I needed to evacuate from bushfires in summer. Like anything you do solo, if you do it enough you probably get used to it, but yeah you do feel like a bit of a loser without friends there with you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure. I mean from the start to the end of the film, you're not talking to anyone so if there is a film I want to see but nobody else wants to go then I dont mind going myself

0|0
    0|0
  • I really get an in depth movie experience when I go alone, but I go with other people more often depending on who doesn't hate me currently :take that person to the movies...

0|0
    0|0
  • I literally cannot do this... It makes me uncomfortable like I have no one to talk to and everyone else had their groups

0|0
    0|0
  • I never, ever go to the theater alone, and even when I do go, I don't do so frequently. Probably once every couple of months.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've done it before, but somehow it's just boring. I feel like I'm just wasting my time on entertainment if I'm not experiencing it with anyone else

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the times. And it's great. I can enjoy the movie without being distracted by someone talking to me

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell yeah! All the time. My friends and family aren't always free. I watch a lot of movies. Plus, when I'm there alone, I end up meeting a lot of people with similar interests. So it's never lonely.

0|0
    0|0
    • I dont understand how you can start a conversation with some random person like that. It might sound stupid, but that entire concept does not make sense to me.

• Not lonely but in control and independent of my lifeπŸ‘ (Don't need any special permissions or people to acompany you out of suspicious behavior or anything)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have gone but it is a clear indication of no friends thus a loanly person who wants to chill out but doesn't have anyone to go out with. And it's a clear sign of depression

0|0
    0|0
  • If I go to the cinema it's usually by myself. I hate the idea of hanging out with people and not talking so people learned not to go with me.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you go alone you are vulnerable to 14 year olds with their friends! These kids will fuck your world up.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always try to go with friends/family to the movie theatre, then you can say your opinions about that movie to each other

0|0
    0|0
  • I went once and really enjoyed it, but with how expensive movie tickets are I wait to buy/rent when they come out of the theatre now

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes I do enjoy it. Nope, I have not felt lonely by it. I only feel lonely when I go out to eat by myself and see couples everywhere.

0|0
    0|0
    • I went to a bar by myself a couple times and just sat there alone the entire night.

• I usually drink at home. I've never drank at a bar alone.

• I could understand it being fun if you are a social person and you talk to lots of people there.

• More from Guys

Recommended myTakes