Why is it okay when none-whites plays white characters, but not the other way around?

In movies and TV-series? I think the most fair thing is letting people looking like the character play them and that means it would often make more sense the actors are the same race as the character.

Some people think it's okay that blacks, Asians, Spaniards etc. plays a white character, but if a white person plays a black, Asian or Spaniard character for instance, then it's seen as inappropriate. People with these opinions often calls it "black face", "yellow face" or too inaccurate. Isn't that double standard? I'm wondering why many are like that in the Western society. #DoubleStandard #Racism #FilmIndustry #Race
Why is it okay when none-whites plays white characters, but not the other way around?When the European looking Emma Stone played an Asian-Hawaiian woman and Robert D. Jr. played a black guy, many people reacted!
Why is it okay when none-whites plays white characters, but not the other way around?Why is it okay when none-whites plays white characters, but not the other way around?When these two actors played the white ginger Mary, Queen of Scots, then nobody reacted.

1335

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand why blackface is outright wrong, thats not even a question. but if the role was, let's say, previously played by a person of one race (theater only), it shouldn't be a problem for a person of a different race to play it unless the role depends on the race of the character (for example, if its a play about a historic figure like hamilton). I understand why people would want to give those of other races representation, but with hamilton as an example, i dont think its right to take a play that is almost entirely based off of real historic white people and say that white people can't audition. Its fine to specify a race for a specific character if thats what they have in mind for the part, but to just say "anyone can audition as long as you aren't (insert race)" is just descriminatory no matter what race it is. As far as tv, there is no reason for anyone to play a different race when you can just hire a person of that race to play the part, generally when you have a role that involves the actor dressing in blackface it is for the sole purpose of making a stereotypical, satirical character which is generally for racist purposes, if a character on tv is not based on a real person or shows the struggles of a particular group then there is no reason to specify their race other then to create diversity in the show. For example in my opinion, the movie "white chicks" is just as racist as it would be if the races where reversed. The whole purpose of the movie is to make fun of white women, the thing is though, is that white face isn't as common as black face, even today. The examples you had for the non-white people playing the role of a white person isn't clear to me though, at first glance both women look white.

• After reading another reply i reconsider the "(theater only)" part because i realize that there have been several instances in movies where different actors have played the same parts in different versions (like a super hero movie, where remakes are common) if the movie is a remake, the changing of a race of a character shouldn't be a problem.

• The thing is, there isn't another word to describe white people as a race. "Caucasians" (from what i heard) is a different race that isn't white.

• I sometimes call people from Europe for North-Europeans, South-Europeans, West-Europeans, East-Europeans and South-East-Europeans. I also may use the term Mediterranean, Nordic etc. too.

Most Helpful Guy

• Whenever it matters - especially when we're dealing with historical figures - I believe they should pick someone who fits the role (also in terms of ethnicity).
    However, there are also cases where it's not very important or where we simply don't know. For example some Biblical figures might have been black, brown or white. In these instances, I think it's fair to not focus too much on ethnicity.

The reason why it's considered okay for minorities to play white people but not vice versa is quite simple: at least 80% of all successful actors and actresses are white, probably even more than that. In other words, white people in the movie business get more than enough chances to star in a film. For most minorities, receiving a role is much harder. Because of this inequality, it wouldn't be fair to take away the "colored roles" and also hand them over to white people.

• I agree with your last sentence, but I don't agree that people of color should get to play historically white roles. With that I mean people/characters that have traditionally been seen as white, such as superman, or someone like Ginny Weasley or Hermione Granger. There is no reason for them to be portrayed by a person of color other than a "look, we can do it just as well" kind of feel. I would not go watch it and I would not want my kids to watch it.

• My opinion:
      I think a character should be portrayed with the right appearance if they're a historical/real person, to be historical accurate, being realistic and if the author has described clearly how the character looks like. If the character lives in a multi-ethnic place, is fictional and the author hasn't described the appearance, then it's okay the director is deciding. Then it doesn't matter if the character is white, black, Asian, South-European or whatever.

• @curiousnorway:
      Yup, that's pretty much my opinion too.