Is it necessary for a writer to know what plot the book is going to take in the future?

I'm writing a book and I'm stuck. I know what the book is going to be about and what the message is going to be. I'm curious, is it necessary for a writer to know what turn the novel is going to take? If the character is going to die (Not protagonist) and etc.

1432

Most Helpful Guys

• Not necessarily. It would help in the long run, but the important thing is to not rush it. Every time you rush, it reads fairly obviously so. Some people can pop out a 'meh' novel in under a year, but some of the arguably best novels have taken many years to plan and publish.

Whenever I'm stuck on story, I go straight to world-building instead. I keep a sort of glossary or even encyclopaedia (I think in the film industry they would call it a 'bible') that I can use as references for consistency. A lot of it contains in-progress or finished story themes, all marked appropriately.

Of course, that really adds a shitload of time to development, but really it's what you're comfortable doing.

Perhaps you could read novels, novellas, or play video games that are big on story or watch films for inspiration.

• Stephen King apparently managed to do his writing without an outline but in my opinion that's both the strength and weakness of his approach. The approach doesn't hold up as well when it scales to an epic novel spanning hundreds to thousands of pages in my opinion. I think he does his finest work with short stories where you can get away a bit more by winging it while keeping everything tidy and without losing focus.

• In general I think planning has that kind of advantage for all sorts of things, like you might be able to wing a cottage without a blueprint. It's another thing to try to build a cathedral let alone a skyscraper without one. With scale often comes the need for a bit more preconception and planning or else the whole thing risks becoming flimsy and falling apart rather than being very cohesive and stronger than the sum of its parts. But with smaller scale projects, you can often get away with a bit less planning.

Most Helpful Girls

• No, I never know what I’m writing until I go back and read what I wrote. I personally hear the story in my head as I’m writing and just write it the way my characters tell me to. I never know how their story is going to turn out and I’m as surprised as the reader. Sure, I go back and edit stuff after, but what I write is just coming from the imaginary lips of my characters.

• I do it the same way and I thought I was doing something wrong. :D

• Lol, nope! *high five, fellow writer* :)

• A writer should have an idea how the story will unfold. They tend to constantly jot down ideas. Writers usually do a lot of in-depth research prior to writing a book. They have generally have an ideas of the beginning,
    middle and end of the story