Do you think its possible to "make it" as an artist in cities other than NYC/LA?

Do you think its possible to "make it" as an artist in cities other than NYC/LA? Like smaller cities? Or do you think you pretty much have to move to big cities for recognition? Thanks
  • Yes, its possible to make it in cities other than NYC/LA
  • No, its almost impossible. You have to move to one of these cities.
Make it as an artist as in, musician/singer.

429

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes it's totally possible!

I feel that a big factor that makes it hard for aspiring artists to actually become 'famous' if you will, is that nobody can produce better music than what's on the top charts. I have found many songs that I would consider way better than your classic rap hit that you would find on the billboards from just casually browsing instagram or other social medias.

The takeaway is to use the internet to your advantage. With the right amount of effort and promotion, acheiving your goal as an artist will be a fairly smooth ride.

• I'd say its all about marketing yourself online as part of the solution and another way is searching the cities to find where you could market to. But if it's about singing almost all of this can be promoted and featured online, it's about using social media and the right sites to promote yourself. I also think it's about finding places that will let you play for little to no cost to get yourself out there so people know your name. Also many bands where I am have cover songs and when they start to get a following they throw in some of their original music as part of the set. That could be something you could do too

Most Helpful Girl

• It might be harder if you start out of state - but raw genius is welcome everywhere. I know guys who can't speak English and I know girls who can barely speak any English at all who make a reasonable salary teaching or creating art. Art teachers sometimes charge $50 dollars an hour or more but that wage might be deceptive because you have studio costs and you might also have supply costs too. I know an art teacher who taught 3 students at the same time and charged each student $50 per lesson netting him $150 in 3 hours.