Do you think its possible to "make it" as an artist in cities other than NYC/LA?

Do you think its possible to "make it" as an artist in cities other than NYC/LA? Like smaller cities? Or do you think you pretty much have to move to big cities for recognition? Thanks
  • Yes, its possible to make it in cities other than NYC/LA
    Vote A
  • No, its almost impossible. You have to move to one of these cities.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Make it as an artist as in, musician/singer.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes it's totally possible!

I feel that a big factor that makes it hard for aspiring artists to actually become 'famous' if you will, is that nobody can produce better music than what's on the top charts. I have found many songs that I would consider way better than your classic rap hit that you would find on the billboards from just casually browsing instagram or other social medias.

The takeaway is to use the internet to your advantage. With the right amount of effort and promotion, acheiving your goal as an artist will be a fairly smooth ride.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd say its all about marketing yourself online as part of the solution and another way is searching the cities to find where you could market to. But if it's about singing almost all of this can be promoted and featured online, it's about using social media and the right sites to promote yourself. I also think it's about finding places that will let you play for little to no cost to get yourself out there so people know your name. Also many bands where I am have cover songs and when they start to get a following they throw in some of their original music as part of the set. That could be something you could do too

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It might be harder if you start out of state - but raw genius is welcome everywhere. I know guys who can't speak English and I know girls who can barely speak any English at all who make a reasonable salary teaching or creating art. Art teachers sometimes charge $50 dollars an hour or more but that wage might be deceptive because you have studio costs and you might also have supply costs too. I know an art teacher who taught 3 students at the same time and charged each student $50 per lesson netting him $150 in 3 hours.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• There are many ways and places to start out. Just create what you want to create and people that like it will find you as long as you put yourself out there. Nashville is a great music city but any city with lots of people will do. Remember justin bieber started out on YouTube.

2|0
    0|0
  • You can be discovered anywhere if your art is good. You just gotta market it online, at artshows, through networking, or whatever maybe on amazon. You gotta have a market and you will get found if your stuff is good or one would think that is.

2|0
    0|0
  • It would depend on the genre of music you are doing. Country would be best suited for Nashville. Blues in Memphis. Reggae and Latin pop in Miami. Most other genres, yes, NYC and LA are your best bets, but it is possible to have success from any origin. You just need the right exposure.

1|1
    0|0
  • Of course it's possible. London, Berlin, Rome and Moscow exist too.

Anyway, when have you "made it"? When you can afford rent and bread at the same time? When you have an audience of millions? Be precise.

1|0
    0|0
  • To be honest you can make it anywhere. It's all about buzz and collabs and knowing the market and pandering to people and a apaticiuclar sound.
    The look also matters as well as the gimmick and drama to a exented.
    Be likeable thenif u have talent that wpuld br good as well.
    Start out with the hits then do your true art stuff.

1|0
    0|0
  • Is recognition your only criteria for "making it"? If so, you can make it anywhere. This is the information age. You can be seen all around the world in a few moments. It might be more difficult to become wealthy as an artist that way though. Most people are compelled to buy when seeing art first-hand. I wouldn't expect an internet art dealer to be very lucrative.

0|0
    0|0
  • Thanks to the internet, the stage is open to everyone around the world.

2|1
    0|0
  • Hey it's La Bianca the not stripper. I would say it depends on what you sing. You should do youtube and social media stuff too. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve though.

1|0
    0|0
  • i think its time for people to pursue art as a hobby like it should be and actually provide something of genuine value to society

1|0
    1|0
  • It's possible. But regardless of where you try, it will be difficult. Even New York and Los Angeles are known as places where many dreams come true but many more are broken.

1|0
    0|0
  • There is Miami, and Tampa, the whole Rivera, the streets of Barcelona, Paris, London, or basically where lots of tourists visit.

1|0
    0|0
  • I bet the chances a very low in NYC because millions of other actors are there and they are all good looking and they all want the same

1|0
    0|0
  • Post a video of yourself singing in the shower. You'll go viral.

1|0
    0|0
  • You could make it but u’ll still have to travel to places like that for work all the time 🤷‍♂️

1|0
    0|0
  • It can be possible with social media nowadays. But like L. A. is the capital of entertainment

1|0
    0|0
  • You can earn money, but certainly not become famous or rich or whatever.

1|0
    0|1
  • It's possible, but very difficult. There are many very talented people.

1|0
    0|0
  • What kind of artist?

1|0
    0|0
    • musician/singer.

• Yes you can its just a lot harder to get off the ground but of you do you'll be an inspiration to all other smaller city artists.

• Music: Nashville.

1|1
    0|0
  • maybe :))

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 3

• There are other markets. You have to make it in those other markets before you can go to the big leagues

1|0
    0|0
  • Miley Cyrus is from Tennessee Demi Lovato and Sadie Sink are from Texas (home state!!!)

1|0
    0|0
    • but those are different, they are children of rich celebrity and they star in tvshows since they were kids I dont think where they're from matter

• Yes.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes