Why do people dislike musicals?

I get there are some hokey ones out there, but there are a few good ones. I understand that not everyone is a fan of the singing parts. To me musicals are geared more for a niche audience.

2220

Most Helpful Girls

• I LOVE musicals and I truly don’t understand how someone can dislike them. As a result, I usually don’t hang out with people who don’t like them 😂.

• Most people don't know that most Disney movies especially the "Princess" ones are musicals.

• Hahaha I forgot how many times I’ve seen Grease (such a good movie) but I somehow can’t sit there and finish the whole movie! Every single time I tried, I always stop at the prom scene. But my favorite song from grease is beauty school drop out 😂. Super funny.

• Forrest Gump is a musical too, but a different kind. It's called a "jukebox" musical meaning that rather the cast and characters singing it's pretty much all commercial music

• Love musicals!

I know many people who dislike musicals, specially boys. I have to say that some people may just dislike music, I don't know why.

Some other people just don't like the stories of some musicals, like many boys I know think all musicals are about love (like they think every musical is like Moulin Rouge). For that people is easy to show them they might like musicals showing them some musicals where love is not all. I did that with my boyfriend, I put him one of my favorites, Little Shop of Horrors, and he likes it. Audrey 2 is good to show some people they can enjoy musicals. Also Sweeney Todd, Blue Brothers or Chicago.

Most Helpful Guys

• Musicals are less about the story and more the way in which the story is told. Not to say musicals don't have nice stories but as someone who doesn't like theater or singing i'll be dammed if I have to sit and hear someone sing about everything going on

• Law of averages. If by the time you're 10 years old you've met 5 dogs, and 4 of them bit you, you probably won't like dogs. Pretty much all musicals were the same up until the 70s, at least in the US. If you've seen one, you've seen them all, and if you didn't like one, avoiding them was a perfectly safe bet. Things have changed. Contemporary musicals have become more creative, interesting, culturally relevant, and thus more popular. I still can't stand musicals in which every line is sung. I'm good with the cast breaking into song if it works with the tempo of the show. The Wizard of Oz was the only musical I appreciated until Grease came out. Which led me to Westside Story. I enjoyed the Fame TV series. Rent is good. Little Shop of Horrors is probably my all-time favorite.