Why do people dislike musicals?

I get there are some hokey ones out there, but there are a few good ones. I understand that not everyone is a fan of the singing parts. To me musicals are geared more for a niche audience.

2|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I LOVE musicals and I truly don’t understand how someone can dislike them. As a result, I usually don’t hang out with people who don’t like them 😂.

1|1
    0|0
    • Most people don't know that most Disney movies especially the "Princess" ones are musicals.

• Show All
    • Hahaha I forgot how many times I’ve seen Grease (such a good movie) but I somehow can’t sit there and finish the whole movie! Every single time I tried, I always stop at the prom scene. But my favorite song from grease is beauty school drop out 😂. Super funny.

• Forrest Gump is a musical too, but a different kind. It's called a "jukebox" musical meaning that rather the cast and characters singing it's pretty much all commercial music

• Love musicals!

I know many people who dislike musicals, specially boys. I have to say that some people may just dislike music, I don't know why.

Some other people just don't like the stories of some musicals, like many boys I know think all musicals are about love (like they think every musical is like Moulin Rouge). For that people is easy to show them they might like musicals showing them some musicals where love is not all. I did that with my boyfriend, I put him one of my favorites, Little Shop of Horrors, and he likes it. Audrey 2 is good to show some people they can enjoy musicals. Also Sweeney Todd, Blue Brothers or Chicago.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Musicals are less about the story and more the way in which the story is told. Not to say musicals don't have nice stories but as someone who doesn't like theater or singing i'll be dammed if I have to sit and hear someone sing about everything going on

0|0
    0|0
  • Law of averages. If by the time you're 10 years old you've met 5 dogs, and 4 of them bit you, you probably won't like dogs. Pretty much all musicals were the same up until the 70s, at least in the US. If you've seen one, you've seen them all, and if you didn't like one, avoiding them was a perfectly safe bet. Things have changed. Contemporary musicals have become more creative, interesting, culturally relevant, and thus more popular. I still can't stand musicals in which every line is sung. I'm good with the cast breaking into song if it works with the tempo of the show. The Wizard of Oz was the only musical I appreciated until Grease came out. Which led me to Westside Story. I enjoyed the Fame TV series. Rent is good. Little Shop of Horrors is probably my all-time favorite.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• I like broadway musicals but not tyler perry play musicals

2|1
    0|0
  • Because it can get pretty cheesey quickly and the sugary sweet over-the-top themes can be almost unbearable at times. Thank God for the mute button!

0|0
    0|0
  • I quote my dad " I hate musicals because there's too much singing" I was watching a movie (I don't remember what one) but one song came on then he left the room muttering "ugh I hate musicals"

0|1
    0|0
  • Just when I start to enjoy movie and things get interested they start to sing.. and that just drives me crazy, I loose interest.

0|1
    1|0
  • They're really hit or miss unless you see a production with pretty expensive tickets.

0|1
    0|0
  • High school!!! We watched so many musicals I felt sick to my stomach. I could quote Annie word for word.

0|1
    0|0
  • mostly reserved and silent people only dont like that

0|2
    0|0
  • I think the reason is that they're unrealistic. No one is going to believe that someone's in the middle of a love confession or maybe a drastic life or death situation and then they suddenly burst into song. 😄😄😄
    There are some that are better than others. Kiss Me Kate, as an example. Those characters were part of the theater, and most of the musical sequences took place in the play they were putting on, the others happened behind the scenes or in rehearsal or something.
    Those kinds of musicals are better than most of the musicals out there, and far less corny.

0|1
    0|0
  • Too much music... like every 5 minutes and its annoying sometimes.

0|1
    1|0
  • I don't hate them but I would not want to give money for them

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 18

• Musicals just aren't reality. Nobody in real life suddenly starts singing, and then seconds later, they're surrounded by complete strangers, who also start singing, and then do a coordinated dance. Have you ever seen that in real life?

There are very few musicals that hold my interest, except maybe Enchanted, Wizard Of OZ, or Cabaret. Cabaret is considered a musical, but most of the songs are onstage at that night club, and there IS an actual movie story.

0|1
    1|0
  • Yeah I agree with you it being a niche audience - I won't say dislike but I prefer my play/movie/tv to be non musical, sometimes background music can add to it but not when a song is front and centre - I prefer dark serious drama and I am not sure the musical can do that

0|1
    0|0
  • There are only two musicals I like. Rocky horror picture show, and forbidden zone. If you count the OG Alice in wonderland then its 3. But I can't really say why, it's rather nauseating to me. I watch this TV show on adult swim and they did a movie, but the damn movie was a musical, so I'll never watch it again. But it clearly has nothing to do with my taste in the style of movie per se. But yeah, just irritating. 🤷‍♂️

0|1
    0|0
  • Some people just don't like listening to the music parts. Many men don't like musicals because they think it's not a manly thing to do, I think that belief is crap, I love musicals, I always have and always will.

1|0
    0|0
  • too corny for them or just don't have the patience for singing and want to hear more story. I personally like musicals myself

0|1
    0|0
  • They've never been my thing. I can enjoy a great play and great music, but when you have actors singing their dialogue it just seems strange to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like music, and I like theater. But with musicals I find the stories compromised for the music and the musics compromised for the story.

0|1
    0|0
  • OMG I love musicals!!! But maybe thats because im gay...

0|1
    0|0
  • If a musical is what I think it is, the last one and only one I saw was les misérables.
    Didn't the the greatest showman, musicals just don't attract my movie loving spirit.
    I am more into pain and suffering.

0|0
    0|0
  • either they dont want to sit for hours, they dont believe in something live, or they dont want to pay $$ for it

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes