How does my drawing look?

I know itโ€™s not the best (very bad in the face), and I still have to add a background... but how does my drawing look so far? :)
How does my drawing look?
Ouch... thanks guys... sorry for this...

011

Most Helpful Guys

• It's not bad, but Cap needs a chin!
    Also, he kinda needs a bigger nose to breath :)

• XD youโ€™re right... every time I tried to make a larger nose though, he looked like a pig... didnโ€™t know which was worse XD

• ๐Ÿ˜†you're right, I forgot about that lol. In all seriousness, it's a good effort by you. Don't be too hard on yourselfโค๏ธ

• Lol...
      Meh, Itโ€™s pretty bad, I know... Iโ€™ll probably delete the question as soon as I can... thanks for your response though...

• I like the overall style of the line art. I was hesitant to try a critique since I think you can pass off a lot of these things as "style". But if you're genuinely struggling with anatomy and things like that, I tried a some very quick Photoshop scribbling and liquifying to suggest a possible route. It's exaggerated but I wanted to kind of highlight some of the key planes and use some contrasty shadow values to pop things out a bit:

https://i.imgur.com/FwkBiCp.jpg

The idea isn't to "do this" so much as kind of highlight some of the basic forms to guide you potentially in any alterations so that even if you stick more to a line art style without much variation in values, you can kind of see the overall forms a bit more clearly.

• Damn, you are skilled with Photoshop!

• ... there's going to be an underplane to his nose (the cast shadow of the wedge shape) since it juts outwards. There's going to be an underplane to his brow above the eyes, since it juts outward. I tried to crudely hint at these underplanes by just scribbling in a very dark value, though you don't necessarily have to use values to indicate that (that was just the quickest and dirtiest way for me to suggest some of those planes with a mouse and digital brush). You can suggest those underplanes just through the line work.

The other thing to me if you are sticking closer to line art is to appreciate the value of the hidden line/"lost and found" line. What you don't draw can often be filled in by the viewer's imagination, like so:

i.pinimg.com/.../...drawing-stuff-drawing-tips.jpg

You don't necessarily need to outline both the upper and lower lip, and can just hint at these things by putting some suggestive lines [...]

• [...] where the forms turn most away from the viewer (or where the shadows tend to be darkest).

And finally it helps to think in terms of "edges". There are boundaries where forms turn away from the viewer. If they're more curved and round and gently slope away from the view, then the edge will be "soft", and you'll have somewhat of a gradation of values there. If they turn away from the viewer at a harsh angle, then you'll tend to see a very clear and prominent line with a "hard" edge. It's very useful when looking at a subject to think about the edges and how hard or soft they are, and that also tends to help you understand the 3D forms a bit and how they work in perspective.